“Small rooms, better hotels in NYC”

Paramount Hotel Times Square New York
Ranked #389 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Small rooms, better hotels in NYC”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The rooms here are small, typical of NYC hotel rooms but it was more the dark, dingy alpearance of the whole hotel that bothered me. I was there for maybe 12 hours so it wasn't a huge deal. The lobby is chaotic. Lots of people just hanging around and the time i had to wait to get luggage the lobby stored for me was ridiculous.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ADesai90024
Natalie V, Social Media Ambassador at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Please allow me to sincerely apologize if you did not enjoy your stay with us. Guest comfort is a key concern of ours, and to hear that you did not receive quick and immediate attention is troubling to hear. Please be assured that we will discuss your concern with our staff so that issues such as these do not occur again. I do thank you for your feedback.

Natalie Vachon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We traveled here in March 2012 and stayed in the Paramount hotel for 8 nights. The hotel is in a great location and is right on the door step of the red steps in Times Square. The hotel staff are very helpful and friendly. When we walked into the hotel it is very dark and they were pumping out a nice smell. Our room was nice, small but the bed was comfy and the room was clean and whilst we were out most the time this was all that mattered to us. We could hear traffic noise from our room as we were at the front of the hotel but this is expected when you visit New York. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah D
Natalie V, Social Media Ambassador at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you kindly for taking the time to review the Paramount Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the room was comfortable and to your liking. We hope you will return to stay with us again soon.

California
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We originally planned to stay 2 nights at this hotel but had to check out to another hotel next day once we saw the quality of the rooms. While I must appreciate the quality of the interiors, it's quite modern keeping in line with the location, right from the DJ consoled in the center of the lobby to smart weather clock on the full size mirror on the floor. Looks fab.

But that's it. The rooms are so tiny that even 2 people cannot walk around without bumping into each other. The distance between the bed and the bathroom is such that you easily jump inside direct from the bed. No kidding. I have stayed at other hotels at Times Square but this was the smallest of the lot.

There is no free wifi except in the lobby and that's why its always crowded there.

Keeping in line with service standards in Manhattan, its consistently poor. They help you unload the baggage from the car when you check in but not when when checking out. The bell desk guy who cam to leave the luggage continued to stare post putting the luggage in the room till we tip him. Not that I don't want to give but they make you feel as if its a service you have to pay for separately, not included in the hotel rate.

Even the room service menu is heavily priced. One of those hotels who reduce the room rates enough to make it look attractive against their competition but then go silly charging for the smallest stuff. I would rather pay $20 extra upfront and be happy with more free stuff.

The good part is that it is next to the times square so you can walk around and see a lot of things. Great location. And probably thats the only reason why people will keep coming back to it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. While I am happy to see that you enjoyed the location, please allow me to sincerely apologize if you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel. We will share your comments with our team as a training tool, and I do thank you for your feedback.

Toronto
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The lobby was really nice and the rooms are average. However, what really turned me off about this hotel was the rude, unfriendly, and unhelpful staff. They're customer service was very poor and for that reason I would never stay there again.

Room Tip: The standard double rooms are extremely tiny.. I would only recommend them if you are travelling alo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Please allow me to sincerely apologize if you did not enjoy your stay. Guest comfort is a key concern of ours, and to hear that you did not receive quick and immediate attention is troubling to hear. Please be assured that we will discuss your concern with our staff so that issues such as these do not occur again. I do thank you for your feedback.It was a great pleasure welcoming you here and we look forward to your next visit!

Kentucky
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I booked their “Exclusive Twitter Rate” as noted on their Twitter profile page. My room rate varied each night from $305.15 to $160.65. Average nightly rate was $264.25, including taxes.

As I was about to leave on my trip a couple of very negative reviews popped up on TripAdvisor. The kind of reviews that warn you to --- stay away.

The hotel was fine. The room was small but not too small. The closet/drawer space was minimal but was enough for me. There was a problem with the cooling in my room. I reported it and they sent up a guy to fix it. (Thank you!) Simple as that.

I like to stay within walking distance of the theaters that I visit and the Paramount’s location offered me that. There was a parking lot across the street from the hotel that I could walk through and reach 45th street in seconds.

I wouldn’t mind staying at the Paramount again.

Twitter @nycparamount

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TravelingGuy
Natalie V, Social Media Ambassador at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your excellent review of the Paramount. We're delighted you took advantage of the Twitter rate, and that your stay was a success!

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Great location but…don't get fooled by the great lobby. It is just a facade! The rooms don't look anything like the cool lobby. They are small, basic and the walls paper thin. It could be so much better!

Room Tip: Small rooms so make sure you upgrade.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank mmadvisory
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Please allow me to sincerely apologize if you did not enjoy your room. Guest comfort is a key concern of ours, and to hear that you did not receive quick and immediate attention is troubling to hear, and we would be happy to show you other rooms in the future. I do thank you for your feedback.It was a great pleasure welcoming you here and we look forward to your next visit!

Lookout Mountain, Georgia
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed staying here to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. The rate was reasonable compared to other hotels in the Times Square area. Their rates do change, so keep checking for a lower rate if you are planning in advance.

The hotel was in a safe area. A doorman was always present to greet us. Yes, as other reviewers stated, the lobby is black and quite dark. We felt like it gave us a calm, peaceful feeling after being in the busy city.

The room was well laid out for the small space. The pictures on their website were a fair representation of the actual room. We did not feel crammed, but we also travelled light. We were able to unload our suitcases into the closet, which contained 2 drawers, so we weren't tripping over suitcases. I was amazed at how quiet the room was. In three nights, we were never disturbed by noise.

Because I noted our anniversary, they gave us a free room upgrade. :)

I reported a leaky faucet, and it was fixed while we were out the same day. I did not expect that but thought they should be aware of the problem. I give credit for their immediate attention to this.

The only bad thing I can report is that when I called with questions, whoever answered stated that there was no free internet in the lobby. That contradicted what I had read on Tripadvisor reviews, and it turned out that there was free internet in the lobby. This suited our purposes to review email each day to see if we had anything important to deal with. We could have paid $14.95/day for in-room internet.

If I were to return to NYC, I would definitely try to get a room here. I'm very price conscious, so I would try to book well in advance to secure a good rate.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JanetonLookout
Natalie V, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you kindly for your review of the Paramount Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our staff delivered the friendly and outstanding service that the Paramount Hotel is known for. I will share your comment with them, so that they are aware of your kind compliments. We look forward to hosting you again soon.