“Worst cramped room ever, shocking bathroom”

Paramount Hotel Times Square New York
Ranked #380 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Sacramento, California
“Worst cramped room ever, shocking bathroom”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We used Hotel Tonight and the first night is gave us a wonderful luxury room in NYC for $139 before taxes and fees, but the second night, we got no bargain at the Paramount Hotel for $129 for the night (before T&F). With only a full size bed for the two of us, there was no room for leaving a suitcase open without blocking walking in the room. Seriously small room, with an AC unit that froze up and caused a puddle on the carpet. The bathroom is so small that you can't sit straight on the toilet because there is a part of the wall that jogs out. The bathroom light switch is inches away from the bath/shower and while it has a gfci breaker/outlet, this would never pass safety codes in many places. The water flow in the shower was a little more than a trickle at 10pm. This is a two star room at best. I can say the reception and bell staff are friendly and service oriented. P.S. I was told by a staff person that there are smaller rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Don F, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Please allow me to sincerely apologize if you did not enjoy your room during your stay. Guest comfort is a key concern of ours, and to hear that you did not receive quick and immediate attention is troubling to hear. Please be assured that we will discuss your concern with our staff so that issues such as these do not occur again. I do thank you for your feedback.It was a great pleasure welcoming you here and we look forward to your next visit!

Don Fraser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2013

First impressions of the hotel are good- lobby, bar etc are very 'trendy'. Our room had just been redecorated and was clean but VERY SMALL- the bathroom was so small that it was not easy to sit straight on the toilet (you had to put one keg into the shower!) Style overtook practicality with the design! Little elements that one would expect to see from a 4* hotel were not there- no tea/coffee making facilities and there was next to no storage space (2 drawers 20 cm of hanging space that was taken up by an ironing board)

Staff were very helpful and the location was amazing. Don't be put off by other comments about building work- certainly had no impact on us!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Don F, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you kindly for your wonderful review of your time at the Paramount Hotel, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to host you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Yes, it has prime location and everything is near by. Part of the street and you are at Times Square. Also Penn station is nice if you need it.
But this is more that location.
Honestly my arrival was awful...weather, taxi driver, getting wet as well as asking for deposit even if everything was paid already...Then first room was very small (ok, expected especially in large cities) but it wasn't cleaned good at all. However, I didn't have time to ask for another. Nevertheless, I had to do it in the morning beacuse of few reasons (reception informed please change it).
Than staff comes at the stage (thank you Sheena). All other staff - maintenance, restaurant, door, etc... Room was changed and the new one was very good and quite comfortable and the most important clean. Bathroom was very clean in this case. Shower may be problem but you get used to it. After that everything was perfect.
Very good breakfast.
Decoration of lobby is excellent also of restaurant.
This would be a place for next stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you kindly for your review of the Paramount Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that Sheena and the staff delivered the friendly and outstanding service that the Paramount Hotel is known for. I will share your comment with them, so that they are aware of your kind compliments. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Blenheim, New Zealand
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Spent 7 nights here recently, was a great hotel, decor was nice, just minutes from Times Square, restaurants, shopping etc. couldnt ask for more.... very good gym too.
Would stay here again any time. the showers were a tad small and there was no fridge in the room, but ice available. Everything else including the staff were great.

1 Thank PaulaO123
Thank you kindly for your wonderful review of your time at the Paramount Hotel, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My friends and I were scheduled to check in on Friday the 17th and after multiple tries prior to 4PM we were denied. At 4:45 I arrived at the desk and was informed by Guierrmo that my room still wasn't ready. Seeing me standing there with a dozen helium balloons (to celebrate a friends 40th) he felt pretty bad. When i asked what the hold up was he said to sit tight and he would be right back. Upon his return he not only got me my room he upgraded us to a Jr. Suite for our troubles. Because of his customer service skills I was able to get into my room and decorate for my friends B-day with only minutes to spare. Guierrmo was so unbelievably thoughtful, he sent up chocolate covered strawberries the next day along with a note hoping that we were enjoying our stay.

Truth be told I've stayed at the Paramount a half a dozen times and have been less than impressed. I stay because of the convenience to my job. All that being said, I will look to come back as customer service is what every traveler longs for and nobody does it better than Guierrmo. Thank you enhancing our experience and changing my opinion of the Paramount! Well done and thanks! Nancy

Room Tip: New lobby, very clean, smells great (yes I wrote smells great) excellent customer service especial...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank 324Nancy
Thank you kindly for your wonderful review of your time at the Paramount Hotel, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that Guillermo provided such excellent service to you.

Stoughton, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I got v. good rates through a website for 3 nights over Memorial Day weekend 2013. Total stay under $800. Hotel in prime tourism location - half a block off Times Square. Yes, new lobby is dark, but v. contemporary. Excellent music tastes, whomever programs that. Service was reasonably good - women at Concierge Desk were especially helpful. Doorman a saint. 15th Floor queen bed room was small, as expected, basic in design & amenities, but I wasn't expecting a very fancy space; who hangs out in their hotel when in NYC anyway?? It was neat, clean (no signs of bedbugs at all), compact, efficient, quiet thanks to vertical distance from street. Air unit was v. loud, but we managed to sleep through it anyway. Beds v. comfy. However, bathroom was TINY: no vanity space to speak of, tiny dark shower stall corner, and almost no water pressure at all on that floor. Have to imagine a lower floor has better pressure. Better lighting + fan would be good, changing pedestal sink to vanity would be even better. Waterpressure is probably an unsolvable infrastructure issue. Didn't use gym or 'space' (lounge area). Good coffee & pastries at Corso Coffee off lobby. Unique shop at street level. Had a few drinks in hotel restaurant/bar - bartenders good, friendly, prices reasonable. If you tweet about your booking, you get a voucher for a free drink in the bar, which I used for a glass of Oban 14 neat.
Husband had contacted hotel to arrange flowers for me (it was our anniversary) but phone tag apparently ensued. Instead, hotel comp'ed us a half-dozen chocolate dipped strawberries on 1st night, delivered to room w/ thank you note for our visit. V. kind of them. Overall, given the favorable rates, convenient location, and cleanliness, I'd definitely stay at the Paramount again.

3 Thank KaseyMyers
Thank you kindly for your review of the Paramount Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us, and that the staff provided great service. I do apologize for the issues with your room, we will discuss with our Engineering Department right away. Thank you kindly for your feedback.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Purpose: Memorial Day Weekend trip to visit my sisters and do a spot of shopping.

Check-In: Arrived Friday morning (no early check-in), so I checked my bags and went off the day with my sisters. Service was fast, friendly, no complaints there. Returned Friday night at about 10PM. Again front desk service was great - no complaints. Got my bags and went up to my room, #307 (2 Double Beds).

Room: The room was clean, actually a little more spacious than I thought it would be, and had zero view (faced a wall). For my purposes <great location, reasonable price, clean and comfy>, it was ideal. There was some outside noise from people talking loudly in the hallway but other than that it was quiet. Bathroom worked fine. Lots of hot water and good pressure.

Service: Other than the front desk and the luggage porters I didn't make use of any of their services. I am already familiar with New York and just really need a place to stay. So I can't really speak on the quality of the service.

Price: For two nights I paid $440, all taxes included (this was split with my sister). So $220 per person for 2 nights ($110 p/night) in the very middle of Midtown NYC is in my opinion a very good price.

Overall: I would definitely stay here again. It met all of my criteria and I tend to not be a fussy traveler in the first place. With the exception of the time I spent actually sleeping, I spent maybe 4hrs between Friday and Sunday in that room, and again other the occasional hallway noise, I had zero complaints. I would definitel stay there again.

Room Tip: No view on lower floors. Ask for a floor high up.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Halidon
Don F, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments on your stay at the Paramount Hotel. I am delighted to see that you and your sisters enjoyed your visit, and we look forward to hosting you again soon!