“Disappointing, endlessly irritating.”

Ranked #389 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Samoens, France
“Disappointing, endlessly irritating.”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I've stayed at the Paramount many times over the last 25 years but not since its recent refurb. I found the reception space, which used to be a sublime Stark interior with mood lighting and eclectic furniture beautifully spaced is now a dark, noisy, over-furnished and hence over-crowded zoo. Not an improvement. The bar/restaurant has been moved from the mezzanine/balcony to a corner at the back of the ground floor - why? It is not clear what the mezzanine is now used for but one night I came back to the unwelcome sound of a DJ plying his trade from the balcony.

The room which once would have been full of character with the trade mark Old Master reproduction for a headboard is now bland and boring with nothing to make it stand out. Size-wise the queen room was fine for one person - you expect hotel rooms in New York to be small and this wasn't too bad. However, the level of amenities was very poor indeed. No fridge, no coffee/tea making. At the end of my week's stay when I mentioned this to "the Director of Guest Experience" I was told that had I asked for both fridge and kettle, they would have been brought to the room for me.....?? However, the most irritating thing about the room was the plug sockets. The small desk under the TV had no sockets within a cable's length of it. There were two above the bedside table and two on the floor, neither of which were particularly useful for plugging in the various chargers one has to travel with these days. It was a small thing but it drove me mad on a daily basis. Likewise in the bathroom the plug socket was half way up the wall and out of reach of the sink - useful perhaps for a hairdryer (which I never use) but no use at all for my electric toothbrush which I had to charge on the floor next to the bed.

The bathroom was compact, again fine for New York but I'm sure they could have laid it out slightly better as I had to turn sideways and squeeze and squash myself past the basin to get into the shower. Now I am by no means slim but I reckon a large man would have had no chance which might have been embarrassing!

All that said, the room was clean and not unpleasant. It just wasn't great and not somewhere I would bother to return to. A shame as the location is useful for getting both up and down town quickly and easily.

The biggest complaint however came on checking out when I needed to store my bags. I was charged $4 for holding 2 cases for about 5 hours. This is not a matter of $4, it is a matter of principle. I had just parted with a four figure sum for my seven nights in the hotel and they managed in a single hit to kill any chance at all of my coming back. I remonstrated with the bell hops, one of whom was extremely rude, and I ended up talking with the aforementioned "Director of Guest Experience". His take on it was that this was the gratuity that went to the bell boys to which my response was that I am a big, grown up girl and I reserve the right to give out gratuities as I please. Normally, the bell boy that takes and stores my bags and then gets me and them into a taxi would get $10 not $4 but that is my choice and mine alone. As a result, no-one got tipped on top. I believe all customers should protest at this practice by withholding gratuities to the bell staff - they will soon persuade the management to end this practice.

Room Tip: Anything smaller than a queen is likely to be too small.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Theodora M
Don F, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you kindly for taking the time to review your stay with us. I want to take this opportunity to apologize for you if your visit did not live up to your expectations. We are currently planning a room refresh which will address many of the issues you listed, and I am sorry that it negatively impacted your stay. I will also speak with our Front Office about providing a better explanation regarding our bell staff policy. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Don Fraser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Nashville
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The location is great. The service is poor. Expect a small room. No help from any part of the hotel. Less than 2 blocks from any major theater so that pays off. The lobby is awful: dark crowded and creepy. The restaurant adds the tip no matter what the size of the party.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Intrepid_So_Traveler
Don F, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I did want to reach out and express my apologies that you did not receive the excellent service that we try to give to each and every single guest. I will use your comment as a training tool for my staff, and I do thank you for your time.

Edmonton
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Just spent a wonderful week at the Paramount. Was given an upgrade to a two bed room which was a nice size for NYC. Beds were very comfortable, room clean, bathroom compact, but functional. Satellite TV signal was week. Lobby and Bar had a nice atmosphere, free WiFi in the lobby, so always lots of people there. Nice view from rooms facing 46 St. Service excellent with everyone we encountered, especially Carlos at the Front Desk who sent up a piece of Red Velvet cake, and coupons for two free drinks for my daughter's graduation shortly after our arrival. Will definitely stay here again. Good Price for the best location in NYC! Minutes from Times Square, Hell's Kitchen and Subway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor facing 46 Street for a view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sunnyalberta27
Thank you kindly for your review of the Paramount Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that Carlos and our staff delivered the friendly and outstanding service that the Paramount Hotel is known for. I will share your comment with them, so that they are aware of your kind compliments. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We have just returned back from NYC after a 5 night stay at the Paramount other peoples reviews made us worry about what the hotel was going to be like !! Yes the hotel rooms are small but not as bad as we thought and the hotel was literally 5 mins from Times Square its so close to everything!! easy walk to central park, rockafella centre etc the only thing I would say is that it can be quite noisy we were on the 12th floor and you could hear a lot of traffic but I think after the 2nd or 3rd night you just get used to it its New York

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jwow7
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, especially our great location only steps away from Times Square! We look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We spent 5 days in NYC and decided to book a room at Paramount Hotel. The Wikipedia article made us think it would be a great stay, and sure it was.
At first we were said that our reservation was for a single room (we are a couple), but everything was resolved with a new room and no charge, so..a nice start.
The rooms were niceM however, not what you should expect in a top class hotel, but nothing disappointed us.
The restaurant was great, the lobby is wonderful, other facilities are pretty good and - last but not least - just round the corner there was Times Square.
But...he last day, we asked to leave our luggage for a couple of hours after check-out..and were asked for a 2-dollars fee per item. Honestly, this disappointed us a lot.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MMR1980
Thank you kindly for your review of the Paramount Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, but I do apologize if you found the storage fee excessive. We will discuss your issue with our Management team, and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Location Great... service is inconsistent... Not child friendly... No microwave or hot water service available... No bar fridge coffee and tea.. No kettle available

Rooms are so confined

Expensive for what you are getting

Won't come back here...

Across the road is the Marriott

Stayed here 10 days... First 3 days the air conditioning unit doesn't work had to complained 4 times to get it fixed..

Room Tip: Avoid... If you are travelling with kids
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DericLy
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Please allow me to sincerely apologize if you did not enjoy your time with us. Guest comfort is a key concern of ours, and to hear that you did not receive quick and immediate attention is troubling to hear. Please be assured that we will discuss your concern with our staff so that issues such as these do not occur again. I do thank you for your feedback.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

After hearing about hotels in New York being quite basic, we were pleasantly surprised with our room at the Paramount. The rooms had been newly renovated and were very modern and clean. The hotel was just around the corner from Times Square, which was ideal got our 1st stay in New York.
New York is a fabulous place and The Paramount was a comfortable stay with a cosmopolitan feel .

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Gina R
Thank you kindly for your review of the Paramount Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to hosting you again soon.