“I enjoyed my stay”

Ranked #181 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“I enjoyed my stay”
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

The rooms were spacious - certainly by New York standards. The location is fantastic. I liked the service. Concierge was knowledgable. They have a ticket broker in the hotel for the shows -- nice perk, but be prepared to pay a little extra. Water pressure in the shower is awesome! No pool or any kid activities whatsoever - thus 4 stars, otherwise I was happy with my stay.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Ukmc2001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,435)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, OH
Reviewed July 28, 2014

If time is valuable to you, consider another hotel. Times Square is a nutty place, so you need to prepare yourself for the number of people and the time it takes to get places. BUT, the Marriott Marquis has a very different system for the elevator and it does not take into account the number of people who might be going up at anyone time. A computer assigned you to a specific elevator and you wait for it to arrive, and it takes you to the floor you request. Well, if 10 people arrive at the same time, it will assign you to the same elevator. That is not bad, but if each of you is in a group of 2-4 people, the Elevator becomes overloaded and will not leave the floor....until someone gets off and the weight gets right. During peak times this is a real hassle.

The hotel itself is clean and the service is great, but standing around for hours at a time is not good. Make sure you take that into account if you stay here!

Room Tip: No great tip, the hotel is tall..and unless you walk, you will wait and wait and wait for an elevato...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Brian L, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
We're happy you chose our hotel for your trip and appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. Our elevator management system is designed to bring you directly to your floor while making minimal stops but I will certainly share your feedback with our Engineering Team. I hope this does not deter you from choosing our hotel next time you are in New York City. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed July 28, 2014

It's an Avery nicke Hotel in the Centre of Manhattan. It's very busy, but you don't Feelings that Are here more than 3000 participants in this Hotel no long waiting Times in the Restaurant. Nice viele from my Rom (25th Flor) to the Broadway - Nightlife.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Brian L, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for sharing your comments about the conference you attended and the view from your room. We hope to have you return for another event or just for pleasure in the near future!
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Great hotel in the middle of Times Square! There is a lot going on in this hotel – a Starbucks, a Broadway theatre, a restaurant, a lounge, etc. Even with all of the various activities, I still felt secure in the hotel.
There are subway and shuttle stations within walking distance in all directions.
The room was nicely sized. Don’t pay extra to overlook Times Square, for as little as you are in your room, it isn’t worth the $100+ a night. Our room overlooked the Hudson River and was perfect – and I imagine more quiet.
Catching a ride back to the hotel was made easy by the bellmen downstairs, for practically the same cost, we had a private car (which was cleaner, smelled better, the driver was more courteous, etc.). I highly recommend!

Room Tip: save over $100/night and opt for a room NOT overlooking Times Square.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2014

This hotel really is in Time Square. Situated on 8th Avenue between 45 and 46 street. You walk out either door and you are in the middle of the madness. Huge place but very well organised and laid out. If you don't like big hotels then it is not for you but if you don't mind then its great. You cannot hear the noise outside but my experience of the hotel was slightly spoiled when I was wakened the party from hell in the next room. I spoke with the hotel staff who were very helpful but the noise continued for about an hour. You could also hear every time they flushed a toilet of ran any water. On our last day we also met the most rude porter who told my wife and daughter to be quiet as he knew his job making all of us feel a bit undervalued as customers. We were on a high after a brilliant holiday otherwise I think him and I might have had a different conversation. That said really good, brilliantly located, well laid out and well run hotel. By the way free WiFi is all round New York except in the hotel where you have to pay for it.

Room Tip: View of Time square is good from some of the rooms but even those without the view does have an inte...
Green Features: Was not aware of any whilst staying in the hotel as there was nothing obvious or even subtle -sorry
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Brian L, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
We appreciate you sharing your review of our hotel. I'm sorry you experienced an issue from the neighboring room. Our Security team works hard to ensure the comfort of our guests and I apologize the issue continued. I would like to follow up with the associate who helped you with bags upon your departure and I invite you to contact me directly at the hotel with your reservation information so this can be addressed. Overall, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to be your hotel of choice for future trips to New York!
Kingsland, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 27, 2014

If you want to stay the night in Times Square, there is no better location than this. It is smack dab in the middle of it all.
Room was furnished nicely and had plenty of space. Don't hardly ever stay at Marriott because it is usually out of our price range, so I can't really compare it to other similar properties.
It is very nice, upper scale, and was a neat experience for my family.
That being said, this hotel is all about the location in the middle of Times Square. Can't justify the room rate for any other reason.
Walls were very thin and could easily hear noise from the adjoining rooms. Doors, on their own, would slam shut very loudly and woke me up several times during the night. Wi-Fi was not included, which is incredibly disappointing. Check in was slow, and using the elevators was slower than that.
This was my family's first trip to NYC. High rise hotel in the middle of Times Square was very memorable. That was the value, nothing more.

Boston, MA
Reviewed July 27, 2014

My family of four (2 kids, 2 adults), stayed here for 3 nights and this hotel worked out quite well. Location can't be beat. We stayed in a suite with a pullout couch for our kids. The pullout couch mattress was a little thin and probably needs to be replaced but the bed in the bedroom was extremely comfortable. Our room had a fridge which was really appreciated. The elevators worked just fine. Yes, sometimes they take a while to come but its a huge hotel; you just need a little patience at the busy times. We had a pizza and crabcake sliders in the restaurant on the 8th floor and the food was good. Overall we would stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 45th floor and the view was great and not noisy at all.
1 Thank queenbeeboston