“Good location...no free wifi!”

New York Marriott Marquis
Ranked #174 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Just spent 3 nights at the Marriot in Time Square. The room is big enough for 4 people with a possible fifth on the sleeper couch.

The room was very clean and comfortable. Considering that you are in time square, I thought that it might be a bit noisy, but to my surprise it is dead quiet. Even the Air conditioner was quiet.

The only down side I have is that the Wifi is not free! $19.95 + tax per day is stiff!!! Over the two weeks we traveled around the USA this is the only place where they charge for the wifi.

I would recommend this hotel to my friends

Room Tip: This is a very busy hotel. Download the Marriot App on your phone and check in through your phone. I...
3  Thank Frogman1484
There are newer reviews for New York Marriott Marquis

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Spent three nights at this hotel in June. Great location. The room was clean, comfortable and spacious. Managed to get a room on the 22nd floor with a partial view that looked out at Times Square. Getting in and out of the hotel was confusing. Two ways to go, which brought you out to different areas. A lot of construction. Breakfast at Crossroads every morning was very expensive for what we had, but the food and service were both great.

The thing we were extremely disappointed with in this hotel was the rotating restaurant, The View, on the top of the building. There is a rotating lounge on the 48th floor that has a good buffet and a nice dessert buffet. Pricey for what it is, (no sharing) but you're paying for the spectacular views. Service was okay, but not exceptional. The restaurant is on the 47th floor. That got confusing too. You have to go to the third floor and take an express elevator to get to the 48th floor direct for the lounge. For the restaurant, you do the same thing and then you walk down a flight of stairs to the 47th floor for dinner. This is where the hotel lost it for us. We had booked our hotel and dinner through an Amtrak vacation. No one told us the menu was not the same. The limited menu had three meal choices. All cheaper meals. No steak or filet. When I questioned it, the waitress was rude. We ended up ordering off their regular menu, thus paying twice for the meal. The waitress was rude and inattentive. No salt and pepper shakers on the table. Had to ask for them. My husband had to call her over and ask for another beverage. She never asked if I wanted another glass of wine. Never asked if we wanted coffee or an after dinner drink. The food was mediocre. We were extremely disappointed in this highly overrated restaurant. Got better food and service at breakfast and it didn't cost almost $300. Expected much more because it is in a Marriott. If you go there, just have a drink in the lounge for the view. Don't bother with the restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SweetViolet
Reviewed July 8, 2014

<3 this hotel wanna go again need more dinero cause it's quite costly. Might even stay at the Edison right beside the marquis ... Never in room except for sleeping...and shower... It's still a first choice for me just don't wanna break the bank

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Brian L, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

It's great to hear that you loved our hotel! We hope you'll get a chance to visit again soon. Please keep in mind we offer lots of different specials throughout the year on our website for room pricing, so be sure to check back when you're planning a trip! Thanks for your review and we can't wait to see you again.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Right at Times Square, rooms were very well furnished front desk & housekeeping staffs were excellent, now for the reason for a 3 star rating. A/C in atrium & View Restaurant was very warm, although guest room was fine. Biggest short fall was elevator service. A friend had warned us in advance about this & it was very poor. Wait times of 2 minutes were common. When car would finally arrive sometimes it could not hold all those waiting. This was very frustrating & greatly detracted from our overall good experience at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

We appreciate you staying with us and for providing a review of your experience. I'm glad you enjoyed your room and thought that our staff was excellent. I will also address your comments about the temperature in the restaurant and public space and our elevators with our maintenance team and hope you will accept my apologies for these things. I hope we have the pleasure of serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights in June! The reception staff were quite friendly, but they didn't make you feel special. I guess they are that busy that you are just another number! It was my partners birthday when we arrived and they didn't even acknowledge it! The rooms are adequate, but can be quite noisy as you can hear the occupants next door! It is relatively expensive to stay here and I don't think it is that special! It is of course a huge hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JulesPJ

Thank you so much for your review and for choosing our hotel for this special occasion. I'm sorry that our staff did not make you and your partner feel special. We focus on creating a memorable experience for each individual guest and I will review your comments with our team so we can continue to work on this. I hope you'll give us another chance to host you when you are in New York City again!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We had a great stay at this hotel, I would highly recommend it !! They did have construction going on the first floor, but it was well managed and you hardly even noticed it – we certainly could not hear it while in our room. Also, I had been warned about how small hotel rooms in Manhattan were in general, so I was prepared, but was later pleasantly surprised to find this room was a “normal” size, and no smaller than a traditional hotel room I had encountered elsewhere.

This may seem a strange thing to applaud, and I have seen negative comments about this, but I really liked the way the hotel manages its elevators. There are 15 total elevators lettered from “A” to “O”, all centrally located in the center of the hotel. When you are going up or down, you enter your desired floor on a key pad by the elevator bank and are assigned a lettered elevator to use. There were particular times of day where there may have been as many as 50 people in the lobby area trying to go up, so if not for this system, if could have been a free for all. However, the system seemed to manage the flow quite well, spreading those 50 people somewhat evenly over the 15 elevators. So, roughly 3 to 5 folks waiting for a particular lettered elevator at any given time, and then that elevator only stopping on 3 or 4 floors – seemed like a pretty clever and efficient way to manage the flow.

Another favorable comment to offer about Marriott, one that applies to both of our recent Marriott stays - one in Times Square and one in Niagara Falls. Marriott has a “Check In” smartphone Ap that we used at both hotels. I think it is relatively new, but am not 100% sure on that. I was able to check in about 24 hours before arrival, and when we arrived they had a little packet ready for us, complete with room keys. So, we truly were “checked in”. This was particularly important in Niagara Falls, as we didn’t arrive until around mid-night. I was concerned with arriving that late, that all the good view rooms would be gone, or worse yet, they would have overbooked and we would have been out in the cold. So being able to pre-check in was a great feature. I even called the hotel at around 2pm that afternoon to make sure the Ap worked, and they had us all set, and even told me we were already in room 827. We had a similar positive experience in Times Square, we arrived at about 3pm, our little packet was waiting for us, and we had a great room with a view of Times Square. I told my wife that I think this “check in” Ap is a new thing, and that they gave us good rooms for using it, so we would do exactly what I am doing now and say good things about it on-line. If that was Marriott’s angle, I am very happy to oblige.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank William K
Brian L, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and I'm glad you used our new mobile app! Next time you'll also have to try our mobile check out feature which is just as easy and convenient as checking in. Thank you for providing such a great review of our hotel. It would be our pleasure to serve you again in the near future!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We are Marriott Gold reward members, so we stay at a lot of Marriott hotels. When we come to NYC, this is the place to stay! you can walk out the front of the hotel and you are literally in the center of Times Square. a lot of the rooms have great views. Our room had a view of the Crystal ball that drops for New Year's eve. They still have it up. If you are there to watch Broadway shows, you are only steps away from most of the theaters. The sightseeing buses are within a block of the hotel. Tons of restaurants are right there. My son loved the fact that the Toys R Us store and the Disney Store are also just steps away! Easy to catch a taxi or subway from this location. our tradition was hitting Junior's, which is right outside the hotel, after a show for a reuben and some cheesecake.

I just love the energy of this hotel! It's always our first choice!

Room Tip: The higher the better for great views from your room...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

We're happy to be your hotel of choice in New York City and appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience! I'm glad you enjoyed everything and we're excited to have you back again soon.