“Location Location Location....”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Reno, Nevada
“Location Location Location....”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Most excellent location. The staff overall was AWESOME overall. Housekeeping personnel had smiles and good mornings flowing from there mouths. The wait staff in the in the bar, restaurant, and business center were fantastic. I surely didn't think I would have such great service in NYC. The check in staff at the elite area was it's only flaw and needs some work.

The room (two queen beds) was adequate. However, the flushing of the toilet came through the walls very loudly; the chair at the desk was broken (I didn't call to have it repaired) and the vent in the bathroom didn't work.

Room Tip: More room space than I anticipated for NYC
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,476)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shenandoah, Virginia
Reviewed April 25, 2014

So let me start by saying that I have over 800 nights in Marriott Hotels. This was the point where Marriott lost a loyal guest.

I got to hotel and the bellmen downstairs showed more interest in their conversation than helping us with our luggage. Check-In was amazing. The front desk clerk could light up times square with her amazing smile. The elevators were a little hard to figure out but once you did..you were set, I had 3 rooms that night. 2 I used 90,000 points for. Mine..I over payed for. When I went to use the restroom I noticed something growing on the ceiling. I called the manager on duty (who was great) and she told that it was plastic type ceiling in bathroom and it can't crack like that but would send out an engineer. Sure enough the engineer said it was a horrific patch and it looked nasty. and that it may still be leaking as is why it was so many different colors. So I let the growth thing go and went to bed. There was a note stating that there would be a hot water outage until 5am. I asked before I went to bed to make sure it would be resolved by 6am so that I could take a shower before my 8am meeting. I am abigger man and showers are important. I woke up at 5:45...no hot water. I checked again at 6:15...nothing. 6:35 and 6:45...both nothing. 7 rolls around and I am told that they had no idea when it would be resolved. I had to cancel my meeting. The reason I came up to New York in the first place. I was mad. I was upset. All these things together made me upset. I wanted a manager to at least vent to. I went to check out and met probably the worse person you ever want to meet when you are upset. Her name is Kizuwana [--]. She is the Front Desk Manager for the Marriott Marquis. I explained to her my frustation and she was rude. She pointed out that was not the hotels fault for the water. I tried to say something and she cut me off and stated "I listened to you speak and now it is my turn". She said we are all going through this. I pointed out the fact that she was able to shower this morning and not be late for work and that I could not. I told her that I was very upset and I expected more from a Marriott property and I did not feel at all talking with her that I was a valued guest and that if this was the new Marriott, I am going somewhere else. She smiled and said " You are about to hit lifetime platinum, you would not leave Marriott all because of one hotel stay". Her condescending attitude was horrible. On my way back to DC I had a great conversation with Hilton Honors and now I am Diamond Hilton Honors member. They may not have Ritz Carlton and Renaissance hotels that I love...but they do not have Front Desk Managers like Ms. [--]. She is the sole reason why I switched. Guest service matters. I have had horrible hotel stays saved by a smile. Ms. [--] just rubs the salt in the wound.

Room Tip: If you stay here and have a problem...post it on trip advisor. The hotel doesn't care.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
14 Thank Richard M
David S, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to further discuss this matter and will be reaching out to you in the near future. Thank you.
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Every year I bring my Mom to NYC for her birthday, and we loved staying at this property....in this past. This trip was not what I expected....our flight was delayed so when we finally checked in (2:30 in the MORNING vs 11 pm the night before) our room was not ready...how is that possible? We took one room so we could get to sleep and had to switch rooms later the next day. Our 'better' room had a hole in the bathroom ceiling, next to the shower head. The hole was the perfect size if someone wanted to hide a camera....it took 2 maintenance people and a front desk manager to put tape over the hole, although the tape didn't stick (no surprise there since it wasn't moisture resistant tape). We were also in need of a large pillow (front desk manager had removed it at the same time she 'checked out' the ceiling hole.....she removed it bc it was missing a pillow case). It took 36 hours to finally get it replaced. Elevators took forever, in fact we were almost late for a show bc we waited over 30 minutes for an elevator.....Room service was inconsistent, especially with the 'warm' chocolate chip cookies which were cold & hard.....There was 1 bright spot & that was one of the concierge....I planning to take my daughter to NYC this summer, & planning next year's trip....just don't know if our plans will include this hotel.....

2 Thank Barrell91
Thank you for staying with us and I am so sorry for this experience. I will be sure to discuss this with our team. Thank you for comments about our concierge. Again, I apologize for this experience. Thank you and have a great day!
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed April 24, 2014

It was like a dream! We got a room with view direck on the Time Square and for no charges. I could look on Time Square from our room forever. The room was lovely. Comfortable, no promblems with sound from outside or with lights from Time Square. The only stupid thing here is that there is no wifi in the room, only on reception.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the ones with the view on Time Square!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
london
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for my birthday and I am SO glad I choose this hotel to mark my first time in New York a wonderful experience!!. I would highly recommend this hotel and I am sure you will not be disappointed. I didn't find the elevators/lifts a problem I actually think it works brilliantly. When we arrived we were checked in within 15 minutes. I agree this hotel is busy but it just goes to show its busy because it's the far the best hotel too stay at in Times Square!! I also dined at the View which is located at the top of the hotel on my actual birthday and I was given a window table!! They even arranged for a birthday cake for FREE!!! Cannot thank the staff enough for making my stay so perfect. Will be staying here again for sure!

Stayed April 2014
Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

The rooms are really nice and location is great. But it's covered in construction. It's a huge place and the elevators are snail like. Because of spring break you're only allowed to use the executive lounge with 2 people max. So kid has to stay in room :-( They also charge for alcoholic drinks in the lounge which I guess is normal for US hotels. But they offer a grab n go breakfast on a different level. Not sure if I would stay again. Just too busy and confusing.

Stayed April 2014
David S, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We do get a high volume of guest that use our elevators during peak times. This usually occurs before Broadway shows and dinner times. In regards to the lounge, we follow the member benefits located on the Marriott Rewards webpage which states that an elite member may be accompanied by one additional guest. Thank you again for your review and look forward to you visiting back in the near future.
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This hotel is perfectly located to access most of the sights for New York and the theatre district so for that reason is a good base. It is also very clean and tidy. Disappointments are the size of the hotel which makes it quite impersonal, the bar on the 8th floor gets overcrowded so the service is slow or non existent on one occasion and The View Restaurant is a little run down with staff who argued in front of customers and needed to address the cleanliness of their uniform - it put us off wanting to eat there.