“This used to be our goto hotel in NY”

New York Marriott Marquis
Ranked #173 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We were very disappointed with our last stay at the Marquis this past December. We stayed December 26th - 29th. I know this is a busy time of year, but REALLY not happy with how things went down. We are Platinum members and normally get an upgrade. We booked 2 rooms and I called before we left for NY to ask (as I did when I booked) that I was really hoping for an upgrade since there was 6 of us, and being Platinum members in the past they have upgraded us to a nice size room that we were hoping we could all hang together. Well, not only did they not upgrade us at all (we did get a room with a view) but the rooms which I paid more that standard price because they were supposed to be executive size was the smallest room I have been in, in this hotel. OK I get they were busy so we just managed.

Then, when we had to use the elevators (don't remember our floor but in was like 40 maybe and my son and grandson were on 41) it was a complete nightmare. Their auto system was chaos with way to many people in the elevator area and people pushing and shoving to get to an elevator it was actually scary. I had never seen anything like this. We spent at least 30 minutes trying to get on an elevator EVERY night. They finally on one night got some help to try to organize things so that us little people that were there first and waiting, weren't run over by 6ft kids that just pushed though. People were getting upset and I really was worried that things were really getting out of control (the Marriott help that was there was really not helping, I guess they were told to go there, but basically they just stood there and did not control the problem)

One night we had to do room service because of a tired and hungry 8 year old but it took an hour and a half and they still got the order totally wrong and didn't seem to care. My son had to run out to get fast food across the street to get him something since they did not send up his order and that was another horrible issue.

Considering the fact that the elevators were taking at least 30 min to go up or down my son decided to run down all 40 flights to get to the street level he figured it would be faster (he made it down all flights in 5 min (big diff from 30 for elevator). The problem was he took the stairs ALL the way down to what he thought was street level, but as he walked down a hall to get to a door that said exit, he walked past a security person who stopped him and asked what he was doing. My son gave them his ID, plus his room key and explained why he took steps. I guess he was supposed to get off on the 3rd floor and take escalator so they pat him down and made him feel like a criminal. This was just crazy since he had ID/room key and they could easily check or even call us in our room (like my son told them). They had to be aware of the situation with the elevators. It held him up for 10 min really overkill. When he came back with the food he had to run up all 40 flights because the elevator situation whet from bad to ridiculous.

We have always felt very welcome and happy in the past visits to this property and love the location, cleanliness of the rooms but they really missed the mark this time. There were other issues small but it all added up to a horrible stay.

To top it all off, when I checked out I asked to speak to a manager. They said he could not speak to me then, but gave me David's card. I called as soon as I got home and left a message. I called again 2 weeks later when I didn't hear from David and left another message. 2 months later when I tried calling again since I never received a call which I also found unbelievable I finally got David and explained everything. He did credit me some, not enough for what I feel was necessary, especially considering the pat down, and the lack of care around the elevator situation and room service debacle and for the first time a room that not only had dirty glasses in it but was just not clean.

We were in NY a month ago and stayed at another Marriott. I really hope I don't have to give up the Marquis. I loved it in the past, and have always been there during busy times, but never had such a bad experience. Our last few stays with Marriott have not been up to Marriott standards, but this one really as upsetting (especially since it used to be my favorite hotel in NY)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Marla57
David S, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Thank you for your review and for staying with us in December. We spoke a little while back in regards to your stay. If you would like to further discuss your December stay, please feel free to reach out to me at 212-398-1900. Thank you.

There are newer reviews for New York Marriott Marquis

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I highly recommend the Marriott Marquis. We stayed in an executive suite. It was large with a dining room table with 4 chairs in the living room, a separate bedroom and floor to ceiling windows with a great view of the city. The location was exceptional! Literally steps away from Times Square and lots of shopping and restaurants. We were in town for Broadway shows and we were able to walk to all of them, plus walk to great restaurants. We were walking distance to Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall and even Macy's. It was very clean and the staff was very friendly. It was not luxurious, but was what you would expect from a very nice Marriott. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view. Although our room was not a "Times Square" view, we stil...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This hotel is excellent. The location is perfect, near the theaters, restaurants, times square and subway. The room is big and comfortable.
It is a huge hotel, but the elevators are fast and never too crowded.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank coloradoga
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Fantastic location smack bang in centre of Times Square...comfortable hotel....but busy busy busy !!!! in lobby, receptionareas etc but desk staff and concierge are efficient and friendly..... quiet in rooms, not aware of other guests, lucky enough to get a room at front of hotel overlooking Times Square low hum from street at all times but not intrusive or overwhelming, in fact makes the whole New York experience...elevator is a sight to behold. Definitely recommend both hotel and city. Use the subway to get around not at all scary and again adds to the NYC experience.... can't wait to get back although may try staying in Greenwich Village next time to see a different side to NYC and now we now our way around and are relaxed......just a little tip if you are getting a shuttle service from JFK have your travel vouchers ready as the drivers on shuttle buses can be a tad impatient, after all time is money ....didn't help we couldn't understand what he said as he spoke so quickly.....if you are making your own way to and from JFK make sure you lave plenty of time on return journey as traffic can be slow moving especially if there are accidents on route....overall a fantastic experience. Thoroughly recommend !!! (Travelled 2011 not 2013 but only now getting around to posting review)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel 4 times over 15 years. Until this last trip, we loved this place. Quality is going down but still OK. Remodeling is also done between 1 am to 4 am with hammer drills, so its a noisy but bearable.

My warning regards the elevator service design. It poses an extreme risk to parents of toddlers. You now enter your desired floor into a key pad, and the keypad directs you to a particular elevator "A" thru O". There are 16 elevators in a circular pattern and 6 keypads, so a lot of entering of rooms and computing is going. At rush periods the main landing areas are a crowded nightmare. Many people are asking for different floors, and multiple doors are opening and closing all the time. Once the door opens, it stays open for no more than 5 seconds and then closes. Once the door closes, the elevator rapidly goes automatically to the floor the computer programs. From the landing area, there is no way to know where an elevator went -up or down, to floor 1 or 43 or something in between.

Here's where my family's nightmare began. We are on the 10th floor 1 and I pressed floor "1" . The keypad directed us to elevator "K". Just as we began to enter "K", my three year old darted into another elevator as the door was closing. Off it went. But to where? PANIC. No indication of up or down, or what floor. We are on floor 10 but my three year is now on any of 43 floors including the crowded street entrance on floor 1. There were 6 in our party and we all raced to various locations to try to see where the elevator went. The elevators were too fast and we could not see any sign of were it was. Fortunately for us, the elevator stopped at a nearby floor and we heard our child crying for us. It took us a few minutes to figure out where his voice was coming from. Tragedy was adverted because we could hear him and he had gotten off the elevator and stayed in one place. But what if it had been programmed to go to far off floor or worst of all floor 1? We would not have heard him. What if he got onto another elevator when it opened? Helplessness! That's a lot of floors to search and get somewhere you have to use stairs or get on and off repeated and re-enter the next floor into use this incredibly stupid assigned elevator system. There are no buttons for the floors inside the elevators.

Two people in our group used the stairs to get to floor 1 (running down stairs is much faster than this waiting on this chaotic elevator call system). The staff at the service desk were less than helpful. There is no "lost child protocol" in place that we could see. The elevators kept running as usual, and nobody took charge and handled the situation. They were zero help and really did not seem concerned at all.

We called 911 and the FDNY arrived in less than 2 minutes. They said it was a good thing, because this slow, unconcerned reaction is typical of this hotel's staff in this type of "emergency". Even though our child was found quickly (it was by the grace of God because we could hear him crying on a different floor) we could just as easily had a search of hours. The Marriott staff were not the ones to rely on, and we would have been very grateful that the fire department took it seriously. They were ready to do floor by floor search and guard the entrances. Marriott was not.

I sleep little that night replaying the events over and over, and how blessed we were to have the happy outcome we did. I could not wait to get out of that place and will never ever return and never recommend it to anyone with small children.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Robert S

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to New York City. I am sorry to hear about your experience when using our elevators and I am glad that it all turned out well. The safety and security of all of our guest is our top priority. I understand that the Times Square area can be overwhelming for some of our guest that travel with family. If you would like to further discuss this matter, please feel free to reach out to me at 212-398-1900.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Fantastic location! The rooms are really nice and big as well. It is located a stone's throw away from Times Square and in the heart of the theater district. We saw Les Mis at the Imperial which is directly across the street. The location could not be any better. The rooms are nice and very clean. The price is a little steep but you are paying for the great location. Perfect also if you are going on a cruise. The taxi fare is only $10 to the pier.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2014

New York City was our spring break destination this year and we were going to be there for 4 days. With that being said we wanted something within walking distance of tourist attractions since having a car in the city is a hassle. We are only a family of three so the room was a good size for us. We were on the 42nd floor and the view we had was ok. We are gold members with Marriott and have stayed all over the world with them. With our membership we have concierge access. This is where the disappoint comes in. Location of the hotel is wonderful but this hotel is geared towards the business person and not so much families. They only allow 2 people in the concierge's level at a time. No exceptions. So we didn't get to eat together as a family in the lounge and enjoy these benefits. Several other members complained of this also. You could take things back to the room but it was a huge hassle. We skipped breakfast a couple of days and ended up eating out so we could enjoy family time since this was a family vacation. This has been the only Marriott that has ever done this and was disappointed in the service. Derek the server in the lounge was personable and provided us with great service when we did go. Actually all the employees that were assigned to the concierge's lounge deserve a great pat on the back for the great service they provided.

Check in is on the 8th floor and very blah. You're just a number. Security guards near the front don't smile and seem to be bothered. Not one of Marriott's friendlier hotels. Stay at the hotel for the location but beware of customer service. If you are staying for a long period of time, also know there is no laundry facilities on property. If we were to come back to New York, it wouldn't be my first choice next time for my family to stay at.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Floridatourist17
David S, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Thank you for your review and for being a Gold member. We would love to accommodate you and your family in the concierge lounge but our goal is to give our Platinum and Gold members the best experience possible. In the Marriott benefits, it states that an elite member may bring one guest to accompany them to the lounge. We follow these guidelines in order to give our elite members the attention and service that you have earned. By bringing multiple guest to the lounge, it would be challenging to give our elite member a positive experience. Thank you for staying with us and your comments. I will be sure to share your comments with our team. Have a great day and we hope to see you back in the near future.