Location as mentioned in many reviews is an instant winner. The size of this establishment is like a small city inside and certainly has the feel and buzz of one too. The elevator system makes this place work well and somewhat of an attraction in itself. The revolving restaurant on floor 48 is a must and a minimum of one drink must be purchased here to take in the magnificent views which takes around an hour to fully revolve. Buffet available which we found reasonable, but the drinks are well overpriced but for the experience worth doing once. To get to the revolving restaurant take elevator to floor 3 and use lifts G or H for non-stop to floor 48 - what a ride!
We upgraded on check-in to a Times Square view room and negotiated a deal of a 4 night upgrade for the price of 3. Pity then it was not reflected on the final bill and Marriott were going to charge the full tariff amount. Quickly sorted and new bill issued, so please check and do not presume your exit bill is correct.
Downside to a hotel of this size is it is always going to feel impersonal, limited interaction with staff as they are just to busy. Check-in is basically a quick registration, swipe of the credit card, room keys given and away you go. Most of the literature regarding all facilities are in your room anyway for your perusal. Likewise checking out is basically a key drop if you have no issues with your bill.
On our final morning we were woken at 05.45 with water pouring from the ceiling, soaking one of the beds and the bathroom ceiling looking as if it was about to collapse as it was sagging under the weight of water from an overflowing bath from the room above and which some idiot decided to check out with the bath left running. Not happy at the time and put a downer on our last day in New York. Maintenance quick to sort out - front desk not so, as it took two phone calls to finally get keys for a new room for the last few hours. New room keys delivered along with vouchers for four free complimentary breakfasts and a reduction agreed with the Duty Manager on our final bill.
Luggage can be left with the Concierge after check out (you are given a coloured number ticket) and when you are ready to leave just hand the ticket to Customer Services at ground level at the desk outside where the Bellboys will locate and bring your luggage to this area for your departure.
As mentioned in title of review - 'Overall not bad' and it certainly wasn't with a slick operation observed at times, sometimes not so (the member of staff in the Business Centre taking a personal cell phone call whilst in conversation with myself arranging transfers back to JFK was just plain rude), but for a first time visit to New York and the choosing of the Marriott Marquis as our accommodation, we felt on departure that overall we were pretty satisfied customers, despite the issue with the water leak in the room. But that was hardly Marriott Marquis fault.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience New York Marriott Marquis, a perfect Times Square hotel in New York City. We offer exceptional spaces for business & leisure travel in our world-class NYC hotel located in the heart of Times Square, steps from Broadway theaters. Our hotel offers newly renovated hotel rooms, event venues and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your New York Marriott Marquis reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New York Marriott Marquis Hotel New York City
- Marriott New York City
- Marriott Marquis New York
- Marriott Hotel New York
- New York City Marriott
- Marriott Times Square
- Marriott Marquis Times Square
- Marriot Marquis