“Perfect Location” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
mumbai india
“Perfect Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed in Marriott Marquis New York with family from 19 June till 22 June 2013. Our check in was very quick, room was nice and clean and spacious, view was spectacular from 36 floor. We could see the full Times Square. The location of this hotel is perfect. Walking distance to 5 avenue. Hotel staff was very helpful, housekeeping staff was also very efficient . This hotel is best place to stay in Manhatten. Broadway musicals all around, a deli shop right across the street, and yes The halal Guys on 53 on 6th. Perfect location.

Room Tip: Take a room on the higher floor with Times Square view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank siraj_chowdhry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,059)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed here for a long weekend recently.

The hotel was nothing special, it was all about the location. It was very nice to be able to walk out of the front door and be in the middle of Times Square and all of the Broadway shows.

There was a line at check-in, which is to be expected. I had never seen an elevator bank like this one before. I was so confused at first as the first elevator we were assigned to was "O". I thought it was giving me an error. As someone else mentioned, I think this is somewhat inefficient. If you have a group of 6 people with you....it may assign you to an elevator with lots of people already queued up.

The room was adequate. 2 double beds and a single sofa bed. We had a slight view of times square, but weren't really high enough to see the square, just the lights.

We needed maid service several times throughout the stay. The one day, we were gone all day and came back to the hotel around 6 pm. We still did not have our room refreshed. We called to the front desk and they told us the only place in the hotel where they had wash cloths were on the maid carts, so we'd need to wait until she showed up. This was a disappointing response.

When the room was refreshed, it seemed to be sloppily done so. We even left daily tips for the maid. The one time, there were 2 bottles of empty shampoo that were in the garbage left on the floor beneath the sink. Also, the one day, the little pull out single sofa bed was left in a state of half folded in, legs sticking up and out.

It is definitely worth a visit to The View, the revolving restaurant, on the 48th floor. It is free for Marquis guests.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
Zanesville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We were In NYC to participate in a Memorial Day concert at Lincoln Center so trip was both for business and pleasure. Since we hadn't been in NYC in years, we wanted a good hotel experience and the Marriott Marquis certainly delivered. Room was very clean, spacious and comfortable. All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful, especially those working in the concierge breakfast room. We will be staying here in September with 2 granddaughters (7 and 8) for their first experience in the Big Apple.

Room Tip: Our room was on floor 23 with a view of Times Square. Gorgeous!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mogo
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have been coming to this hotel for over 15 years, and I never get tired of it. While a bit hard to get to with portions of Broadway closed off, once you are here, it offers so much with a wide variety of options.

I have had rooms all over the property, but the ones on the Broadway side are always the best. The view is fantastic overlooking Times Square, and the location cannot be beat. Within just a few short minutes, you are within walking distance of most of the theaters for shows, Central Park, and a vast selection of eateries. One of my favorites is Junior's located just across the 47th street side of the hotel.

Parking will set you back $60/day. I have to mention the elevator system. Probably the most efficient of any property I have stayed at in my 100+ Marriott nights per year. There is a keypad in the elevator lobby, and you simply push the number to the floor you want, you are then directed to any one of 12 elevators, indicated by letter. Once you get on, there are no buttons to push. It will automatically stop on your desired floor.

Great property, great staff, great hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MarriotMan
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel needs better management. We checked in with three family members and we were only allowed two in the concierge lounge. Sorry- hotel policy. Ridiculous. Does Marriott value repeat business?

This was my 14 year old daughter's first trip to NYC and we had her Disney Knapsack with her raccoon wallet ($100 in birthday cash) taken right out of the room. Hotel security refused to talk to the cleaning staff. I would have been a platinum member by year end with over 50 nights at Marriott and hotel security did not care. This was the worst Marriott experience I have ever had but it was bad enough to warrant me making an active response to make sure others don't have the same experience. If you have to stay at this hotel please make sure you lock up all valuables and always do a thorough check before you check out. If you leave anything then you will never see it again and security will do little to nothing to attempt to find your property.

Ruined my daughter's trip.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Troy A
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Have just had 5 nights at this Hotel and it met and exceeded all my needs.
it is located right on Times Square on Broadway between W45 and W46 Streets.
There are Hop On/Off tours available at the back door, I would probably go for Grey Line, as encountered a few issues with the New York City Tours.
It a good way to see NY and its attractions, you can work out after a couple of circuits what to see and do.
Free wifi in lobby area, paid in rooms

Having come off a cruise, we had collected a bit of laundry.
It would have cost $15 for 1 shirt, and we had over 6 punds of laundry.
Down towards 9th Avenue there are heaps of laundries, where I had the whole lot washed and folded for $9.
Restaurants in the area are expensive, but if you mix it with some of the many varied eateries around you can have a good variety. Loved the NY Pizza!

Being on Broadway there are loads of theatres in close proximity, big problem is getting tickets.
Next time I will pre purchase these as I could not get any that suited our schedule.
9/11 Memorial is a remarkable tribute to those who perished in the 9/11 attacks, the museum is to be completed and opened next year.
River cruise was a good way to get bearings {apart from the noise from about 75 kids on summer camp with no boundaries or manners}.
Because of the high buildings I always get disorientated in NY, a tip one of the guides gave us, the Avenues run North South and Streets E/W. I think they change from E to W around 5th Avenue.
Heaps to do in this vibrant city. Crime rate has diminished, very safe out at night.

Close to Penn, Grand Central and Bus stations. Got taxi from La Guardia in peak hour took about 30 mins and $40. {Used transfer from JFK to LGA to retrieve bags as airlines dont re connect you with lost baggage in USA}

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Craig_Baker
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed on this Hotel as last leg of a 2 week trip to the North East Coast (we stayed at The Conrad in Battery Park City the week before); I've been in NYC many times at many Hotels in Times Square and Financial District (Lower Manhattan), if you are first timer visiting NYC and want to spend big money, this is the place, huge hotel in the middle of Times Square. SERVICE DOES NOT COMPLY FOR A MARRIOTT-MARQUIS BRAND, I stayed for 2 nights and, on the first morning I received a call at 11:15 am from a rude Housekeeping lady asking me the time we were to check out EVEN WITH A "DO NO DISTURB" placed on the door. First, our checkout was not that day; Second even checking out same day she shouldn't call BEFORE noon; I complained with a lady called Margaret and said She was to forward it to manager on duty named MARY WATSON, as expected, I do not received any apology call or note from the Hotel; Rooms are nice and quiet, bathrooms need some upgrades, not even a complementary bottle of water!, elevator system is nice... BUT everyone, including non guests without room key can access to any floor which means high risk.
Room Service trays stayed the whole day on the hall way from next door room (have pictures). Save your money stay at the Intercontinental, Double Tree , paying 400+ even at the Ritz Carlton-Battery Park on lower Manhattan (if you don't mind to walk little bit more and take the subway)
I would not stay at this Hotel again.
They guys at the lobby restaurants have great service

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family