“Long Weekend for a Family of 4”

New York Marriott Marquis
Ranked #174 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We went to the Marriott Marquis in February for a long weekend. It was our second time staying there in the past 2 years. The first time we were there was with our 3 year old, and this time we brought our 18 month old as well. We chose the Marriott mainly because of the location, and also for the "fun" of the glass elevators for the kids. You can't beat the location if you want to be in Times Square. It's very close to Toys R Us, Disney Store, Sanrio (Hello Kitty), Hershey Store and M&M.

We are a Marriott Rewards member and were very pleasantly surprised when we asked for an upgrade to a Times Square view at check in, and our request was fulfilled. We like the rooms, you can't hear anyone in the ajoining rooms. We got a portacrib for the baby, and it looked new. All linens were nice a clean.

Last year we had the breakfast buffet included with our room, and we loved it. This year it was not included with our room so we did not go, as it is a bit expensive unless you are going to really stuff yourself. We went down to Starbucks every day and for $20 we had breakfast for all of us (coffee, milk, juice, bagel/pasty and fruit) which I find very convenient and inexpensive - we brought it back to the room every morning.

We ate "dinner" one night in the lounge area and did not care for the food at all. Would probably not go back there again.

We didn't use any of the other amenities in the hotel. We plan to return to NY again for a long weekend in a year or so, and will go back to the Marriott. If you go on their website you can see the calendar of rates to choose dates which work with your budget. Love that feature!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade at check-in.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jen C
Write a ReviewReviews (11,367)

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Upon arrival to this hotel, they tell you that you have to check in on the 8th floor and it took me less than 5 minutes to check-in. Once you get to the elevators, you punch in your floor number and it tells you which elevator to take (A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M, or N). They have a computerized system that maximizes the use of the elevators and they are fast. Most of them are window elevators. The room windows are sound proof but beware. When I was there, I could hear taxis honking and my A/C was not working. I called the front desk and within 30 minutes, my A/C was back online and for some reason, there was an opening in the window and once that was closed, the window was soundproof and I slept like a baby every night. The restaurants are excellent and pricy but the quality is there. I went out for breakfast one morning at a local restaurant, had to butter my own toast, not asked if I wanted brown or white toast or bacon or sausage, and the meal was undercooked so I left half of it on my plate. The orange juice was in a tiny plastic cup. I had never had such a bad experience and for $12. No such experience at the Marriott restaurants. However, the Starbucks inside the Marriott was not open on Sunday evening (maybe it was closed all day???) and I was not impressed with that. However, the overall experience at the Marriott was fantastic. Great service, great room, great food, outstanding buffet (best I have ever had). Pricy hotel and food but the quality is there, unless you enjoy the undercooked breakfast just around the corner or a hot dog and coke from a street vendor for $10.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Great place in the middle of Broadway. Service was excellent. Rooms are very spacious and clean. Wish hand shower was there in the bath. Opens to Times Square which saves loads of traveling time and gives way for shopping. Lots of fun. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank VenkatOman
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed here for one night while on business, and absolutely love the hotel. From the location right in Times Square, to the great concierge lounge, to the comfortable beds, the list goes on and on. Overall, not much bad to say, and a great hotel to consider if you are in the Times Square area for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Staying the night in NYC with some girlfriends we decided to stay somewhere central to be in the middle of all the hustle and bustle and have a real experience on Times Square and Manhattan NY. When we did arrive at the hotel a little early, we thought we would leave our bags with the front desk with hopes that they would store it for us until we would be able to check into our room, much to our surprise they did have a room available and we didn't have to wait. The hotel has several elevators that take you to your room and and the lobby without having to wait long. The room was average in size, (if possible ask for a room with a view of the Times Square) our room had a partial view but was still nice. The room we booked had two double beds and a pull out sofa bed. We did make use of the nice business office to print out our boarding passes for our flights. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would stay here again. This is a great hotel for those who want to be close to all the action of NYC.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TravelingHippo808
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

My 10-year old daughter and I stayed here over night on Mother's Day. We asked to check in early about 1130 and they had no problem accommodating us. I had reserved a regular room at the 199 rate. When we checked in, she said free Mother's Day upgrade, you'll have a phenomenal view of time square. Very nice!! And she wasn't kidding, it was a great view. The room is really large compared to other NYC hotels we have been to and like I said the beds and pillows are crazy comfortable!! We did not get any noise even tho we were above the time square hubbub. All in all I would say compared to NYC hotels it was a great value and we would definitely be back!!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed here 20 years ago and hated it, and hated it this time too. First, the hotel is a monster, huge, hard to navigate and crowded crowded crowded. I was welcomed in my room by a wad of wet gauze on the floor; nasty! The room was decent sized and i had a tiny view of Times Square, and there were lots of plugs for all of my gadgets - which made me very happy.
We ate at the View and it was a total rip off - way overpriced, food mediocre and service just okay. Worse was the breakfast / lunch restaurant. At lunch we waited over an hour to get a hamburger, and at breakfast I was seranaded by an arguing staff and host - who went on and on at each other about whose table is whose and when did they get back from a break and who deserved the money, yada yada yada. Totally unprofessional and just just rude. Would i return to this hotel? Not a chance. Would I recommend it? Not a chance.

1  Thank yecats59