“Oasis of calm in the heart of it all”

New York Marriott Marquis
Ranked #182 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Redmond, Washington
“Oasis of calm in the heart of it all”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed here 3 nights in conjunction with a major conference being held at the hotel. My experience was positive with respect to all major criteria: In particular, I'd call attention to:
1. Spacious rooms by the standards of Manhattan hotels . . . pretty much the size of regular suburban hotel rooms.
2. My room (17th floor) was quiet; well-insulated from the bustling noisy streetscape below.
3. Fantastic location.
4. Great exercise room on 16th floor with views of Times Square.
5. The ~40-story atrium is impressive, and no matter how old or "sophisticated" you are, the glass elevators are fun.
6. I did not have much interaction with hotel staff, but when I did, they were friendly and helpful; for example, check-in was fast.
7. Very comfortable bedding.
8. Sophisticated ambience in the various lounges and sitting areas on the 8th floor (the lobby floor).

My only complaints would be:

1. the sometimes-long elevator waits despite the computerized system to optimize elevator traffic. The worst elevator congestion seemed to be in the early evening.
2. It would have been nice to have soda vending machines on each floor; bonus points if they could figure out a way to sell soda from a vending machine in mid-town Manhattan for a not-outrageous price.
3. The towels seemed a little "cheap"; I'd expect more plush towels from this property.

1 Thank kwa829

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,433)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Derby, UK
Reviewed March 23, 2013

When you enter somewhere after the assault on the senses that is Times Square, it takes something to make you go Wow! Seeing the lobby of the Marriott Marquis for the first time does it. You know you're in for something special, having passed the uniformed commissionaires and the always bustling covered courtyard at the entrance, you have to take the elevator to the eighth floor to get to the lobby. This is the first experience of the bank of elevators that become an intrinsic part of your stay in this hotel.

From the lobby upwards, the hotel is built around the huge open atrium with the corridors open on one side, affording pretty impressive views of all the activity below. We were offered an upgrade to a 'corner room' for a mere $70/night, which we declined, but were still very impressed with the size of our 'standard' room midway along the south side of the 20th floor. The view out of the window allowed us a glimpse of Times Square, looking down on the Good Morning America window, which led to some amusing comparisons with the tv and who we could see standing outside 'live'!

Manhattan hotel rooms are notorious for their, er, conservation of space, yet this room would be described as spacious anywhere in the world. By New York standards it felt like a suite! Very comfortable, well appointed and scrupulously cleaned every day.

There's a common theme in reviews on Trip Advisor for this hotel, damning the WiFi - and with good cause. There is absolutely no excuse for such dire "service". In room it is virtually impossible to connect and when it does it is unusably slow, for which they have the audacity to charge $16.80/night. The lobby WiFi is at least free, though there is so much going on in that area, it is hard to find a space to sit and isn't suitable to work. Marriott really need to get their finger out on this one.

We only dined in the hotel on one occasion during our six night stay; splashing out on the buffet breakfast one morning. At $28 for a 'all you care to eat' meal , the price seems reasonable, but beware that tax and the 18% gratuity which is automatically included (the server gives the option to have it taken off, but you'd need to be particularly thick-skinned to do so, I suggest) quickly took the cost over $80. Not sure I can afford that every morning! Service wasn't particularly good as it happened, and was non-existent once the server knew she was getting the %18.

Sure, there were niggles with the stay (WiFi being chief among them), but the place is breathtaking in its scale. Nothing can take away from its location - one step outside and you're right in the vortex of New York at its crazy best. Naked Cowboy, anyone?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Derby_Dave_UK
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Great location and superb views of Times square if you pay the extra. However, that's where the excellence stops.

I don't expect personal service in an establishment of this scale but I do expect couteous and helpful. Unfortunately though, what we generally experienced in staff attitude was; formal, cool and borderline dismissive.

The room was fine, but the whole establishment feels a bit tired and the stippled finish to walls looks rather dated. In fairness though, the elevator system is excellent.
The air conditioning in our room was completely inadequate. There was a single vent blowing air across the window and no amount of adjustment on the controller, made any difference to the room temperature. They would have to pay me to stay here in the summer!

The location wins the day though - you couldn't do better. Steps away from the theatres and Times Square - it doesn't get any better.

So, if you're prepared to pay through the nose for possibly the best location in NYC, then this is the place for you. Just watch out in the summer months though because if the Air Con throughout is as bad as ours was, then you could be quite uncomfortable at sleepy time.

Room Tip: As for a Times square view room if that's what rings your bell. High floors (22 plus) gives best...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed here recently for a business trip. Loved the hotel as well as the location. Times Square and Theatre District just steps away!

I had a terrific stay. My room was on the 16th floor, quite spacious, and I had no issues with street noise (I was on the side away from Times Square). I was able to go to the Concierge Lounge, which was very relaxing at night, and had a great breakfast (with lots of options)in the morning. The concierges, doormen, and all of the staff at the hotel were extremely helpful. And even though I arrived before check in time, I was able to check into my room early. Special thanks go to two of the doormen who gave me perfect directions how to get to where I needed to go, as well as to the concierge, who when I asked where the best place nearby would be to get some authentic NY Yankees gear, directed me to the Clubhouse Store in Times Square, and explained exactly how to get there by foot!

I am only rating this with 4 stars as opposed to 5 for a couple of reasons. First all, there is no free Wi-Fi for guests. This was disappointing as I have stayed at other Marriotts which did offer free internet to its guests. Also, the dining options within the hotel itself leave a lot to be desired, and for a property this large, you'd except a few more diverse (and cheaper) dining options. Be warned that if you are looking for a meal that won't give you sticker shock, you probably won't find it at the hotel. Snacks and other food items at the gift shop/coffee bar in the lobby were also, in my opinion, outrageously priced.

That being said, I would definitely stay here again in the future. Fantastic location with a fantastic staff!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Great hotel close to every show you could possibly want to see. Really in the heart of Times Square. Elevators were glass and fun. The rooms were very clean and quiet. The beds were very comfortable .They were very accommodating and got my family connecting rooms. They also brought a mini fridge up to our room no charge. They were also very nice and gave us a late check out since our flight did't leave until 7pm and held our luggage for us while we continued our visit of the city. Don't count on using the lobby wi-fi. It was pretty much nonexistent. Plan on paying the charge for the wi-fi a day it was almost 17 a day when we were there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed March 21, 2013

As a hotel that caters to conventions and business travelers, I was aghast at how awful their services for business people were.

The WiFi in my hotel room kept going in and out for two days straight. I had work I had to do and was required to go find a Starbucks nearly (and when you're in Times Square, a Starbucks where you can work is EXTREMELY far away). I sat on the line with customer service for their WiFi team for about an hour while they didn't fix anything. That was time wasted that shouldn't have been.

The WiFi for the conference simply didn't work at all! It said there were "too many people logged on" -- but it's a conference, what do you expect?

The iron had crap on it and ended up ruining one of my shirts; luckily I had packed extra.

There was construction going on on Times Square that started at about midnight. The hotel's windows are not solid enough to keep this sound out. For three nights I had non-stop jackhammering keeping me awake at night. If you're going to build a hotel on the business place in America, you should use sound-proof glass. I'm exhausted now that I'm back home because I couldn't sleep.

The people were extremely nice, though, especially the housekeeping. And I thought the beds were very comfortable.

4 Thank Zach W
Israel
Reviewed March 20, 2013

It is right on Times Square (although if you want a room with a view to Times Square it costs extra).
Regarding the property itself- this might be my mistake, but I thought since it was a 4 star hotel, it would be somewhat luxurious. Instead, it is something at the level of a Hilton Garden Inn and feels very low cost- synthetic pillows and comforter (and not down), very cheap toiletries and tiny bathtub.
And one more thing that just drove me nuts- despite catering for many business travelers, the wifi in the hotel was just impossible! It wasn't working at all in my room, so I used the wired instead, which was also super slow. For one day of my stay, the internet in all of the hotel did not work (rooms and lobby).
When it did work, the wifi in the lobby was free (also very slow), but there aren't any seats in the lobby that don't belong to a restaurant, so they all had a one drink minimum.

3 Thank Lironp