“Outstanding! Great location. Love the Marquis!”

New York Marriott Marquis
Ranked #178 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Loved the fantastic location and staff at the hotel is extremely warm and friendly. We were just in NYC for a few days and it was such a treat to walk out of the hotel and be right in the center of everything. Rooms are big compared to other rooms in NYC. We stayed on the 28th floor and had the most amazing view of Times Square. I don't think we could have chosen a better place to stay! I can't say enough about it! The rooms were large, clean, and fabulous with amazing views and a fantastic staff! My husband also enjoyed the gym.

We went to the revolving lounge "The View" located in the hotel one night and had one of the best martinis I have ever tasted. The pumpkin pie martini was absolutely divine and there is a reason the lounge is named "The View!" Had an incredible experience here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pinkbutterflyteacher
Write a ReviewReviews (11,485)

Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Marriott Marquis is a luxurious hotel in the middle of Times Square. The location is perfect for sightseeing and to get around most places in NYC. The view from your window (depending on the side of the building you have a room) is a great sight with all the large screens flashing. It is a true depiction of one of the best cities in this country.
The elevator system is very unique. There is a bank of elevators and you push your floor number using the keypad on the wall. It then tells you which elevator to get in to. You get in the elevator and it takes you to your floor. No other buttons to push.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

I know most people staying in Time Square are not looking for a good gym!! But its the biggesr ans best equipped that I've seen which is important for working d the corporate snacks :) I visit often for business, and I think this is the best hotel in the location for business travel. And believe what people say, the elevators are cool as log as you're OK with heights. Room service is overpriced (this is Times Square I guess) but walk one block west of the hotel (away from the madness) and you'll find plenty of choices for food - all prices, food and mainly independent places.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The most of the staff was difficult to get anything from. The hotel has more rules that I have ever heard of, each room only gets 4 towels, 2 blankets, etc...Although the rooms are really large for a NYC hotel that is about the only thing this hotel has going for it. The elevators are so crowded sometimes you can't get in. I would call it more of a factory than a hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank m0m6
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. First off, it's a really great hotel that is stunning from the outside. Once inside, I love being able to see up into the hotel and watch the elevators soar upwards. The Front Desk is located on the 8th floor, and there is a bar on that floor that looks out onto Times Square. It is a great place to enjoy a drink before an evening show, or if you're me, between a matinee and an evening show. The rooms are quite large by New York City standards, and the views are great from any side. You are either looking up or down Times Square, or out over the river (If you're high enough). The other thing I feel I need to mention is service. I stay at this hotel twice a year, and EVERY time I have had the same service issue...the staff is wonderful. With the exception of ONE employee in 3 years, everyone has been friendly and helpful. The Front Desk staff is wonderful and welcoming, and even the Housekeepers say "hello" and make sure you are alright. I know from traveling, it's rare to have a great experience every time, and I appriciate it. Now to the obvious, the location. You cannot get a better location in New York. If you are seeing Broadway shows, you are literally next door to a majority of the theatres, and there is no travel time. You are literally in the middle of the city. I cannot say enough good things about this place, and plan on heading back next month!

Room Tip: Go for a high floor, I always enjoy views no matter which way. And the Times Square isn't the o...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is obviously one of Marriott's flagship properties, and it's clear that Marriott takes steps to make sure it offers a good experience. The staff is polished, and the service is excellent, even for a large property with lots of turnover. The amenities are top-notch, including the revolving restaurant overlooking Times Square, the well-equipped workout room with a city view, the concierge lounge, and the lobby. Even the elevator system is cutting edge. The location is great. There are plenty of less expensive options, including a nice Courtyard near Port Authority a few blocks away. However, unless you're just looking for a place to sleep, the experience is worth the extra money.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed here for our 25th anniversary. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. We only stayed one night. Since we had a tight schedule, location and room accessability were very important. The location was perfect. The hotel is just steps from the Subway station. We were able to walk to many of the restaurants that we wanted to choose from. It was a very short walk to the Broadway play that we were seeing. It was even a short walk to the Hudson River where the Intrepid Air and Space Museum is docked.

We arrived at 11:00 a.m. and were allowed to check into our room. We were also granted a late checkout. When we checked out, there were plenty of taxis waiting.

We did have 2 minor problems that were both quickly remedied. First, it was 55 degrees and rainy outside. Our heat did not work. The room was at 61 degrees. The maintenance guy fixed it within 30 minutes of being notified. Second, the waiter at the 48th floor revolving restaurant informed me that the room number that I gave him was not my room. Apparently, the front desk had me listed in a different room from the one issued to me. The waiter took me to the side to show me that my room was vacant according to his computer. So instead of enjoying our expensive drinks, I had to contact the front desk so I could charge the tab to my room and ensure that my room was not rented to another person while I was not there. Shortly after my phone call, the waiter informed me that the front desk corrected the problem and allowed us free dessert from the very impressive dessert buffet.

All in all, the Marriott Marquis was very comfortable and the staff will obviously bend over backwards to make your stay as perfect as possible. I would definitely stay again for a special occassion.

Room Tip: It is New York City. Of course you want a higher floor to enjoy the best views. We faced West which...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple