“Love this hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Grand Cayman
“Love this hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2008

We stayed there on mid november. Me and my sister we both work for Marriott as part of their International Lodging area. We just loved the hotel experience...... general.
We checked in around 7 am, of course they didnt have rooms at the time but they stored our luggage. We return to the hotel around 7 pm, and got a room on the 32th floor.
The room was lovely and the view of the city was stunning. We love the location and went out to shopping at 1 am!!!!

If you wanna have a REAL taste of what NY is all about stay here, my sister was arguing because she wanted to stay at the Walforg Astoria but at the end, she was glad we stayed at the Marquis..... you cant beat the location!!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ichaves25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,252)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2007

Of course, there are more luxurious hotels in New York or more historical or more expensive ones, but none of them can beat its location. And this hotel is so "newyorkish": expensive, noisy, big, crowded (OK it was Christmas time). The rooms are fine, clean, the beds extremely comfy. Nothing fancy but everything was fine and in good condition. Re the location, as said before you are close to everything. You can find tickets for broadway shows at a discounted price but you have to be patient (you can easily wait three hours). The rotating restaurant/bar at the top floor is amazing but do not expect for a culinary experience.

• Liked — location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — the food was so so
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank herv_7
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2007

On a sold-out weekend before Christmas, I was NOT expecting the perfect service we experienced at the massive Marriott Marquis. The staff -- from bellmen to housekeeping -- were exceptional in every way. Kudos to the management for maintaining such an efficient, pleasant staff in an enormous hotel in the middle of the busiest area in the United States -- Times Square.

For those who haven't visited this hotel for a while, it is definitely time to give it a second chance. The lobby, elevators, and rooms have been renovated. The layout of the rooms are fantastic. I cannot say enough good things about our experience there.

A big shout-out to Riz, our bellman. You truly are an asset to the hotel staff. Keep smiling!

2 Thank JMSC-92
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2007

I am confused on the reviews here. After our stay, I was sure to come here and find bad reviews. We went for five days the week prior to Christmas and here is what we experienced.
We checked in around noon and were told we could check in and get a lower level room on the 8th floor, or wait and get one on the 49th. We decided to wait four hours and get a higher room. After checking our bags in and walking around the city in our traveling clothes (from Tampa, FL) we returned to find they were giving us the room on the 8th floor. After speaking w/ management we were offered on on the 34th which was fine. The room was a nice size- a little larger than the standard. The bed was VERY comfortable, but there was a layer of dust on the back of the toilet and the tissue box was disgusting. It had toothpaste spray all over the side and dust all over the top. YUCK! My husband always checks the waters b/c we have been charged many times for the person before us opening them and filling w/ tap water. Of course, this had already been done (ALWAYS CHECK THIS!) and we called the front desk immediately so we would not be charged. We left the room and came back two hours later which is when the guy had JUST come to the room to replace the waters. When we rec'd our bill days later, we were charged for the waters we called about! However, it was taken off our bill with a simple visit to the front desk. We were also charged a $15 room service fee for the guy to bring us new ones.
The location was excellent w/ the subway close and all shows and good food close. I HIGHLY recomment John's pizza around the corner in the old church- yummy!
Concierge was hit or miss. I would either get someone extremely informative and polite, or I got an attitude that they thought they were better than me and how dare I ask them a question. There was a spanish girl w/ med lenght hair that was polite every single time and remembered me. And I always tipped.
I also noticed they do not answer the phone with "Good evening Mr. Kilpatrick how may I help you?" as they did years ago. I missed that and thought it gave it a personal touch.
The View is awesome but be careful. I ordered the buffet late one night. It is $20 and within minutes, bus boys ran up and grabbed my plates!!!! I guess they were closing which I wish my waiter expressed to me before I paid $20 for two bites!
The elevators were slammed on Sat. and Sun. which is understandable.
All in all I will stay somewhere else next time. I'm not sure if they got new management or what but it has gone down hill from a few years ago.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LaurenEk77
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2007

Loved this hotel in the heart of Times Square. Within walking distance of many great shops, restaurants and shows. Hotel service was attentive but not intrusive. Room was clean and the bed and sheets heavenly. The top floor revolving bar/restaurant (The View) was fantastic for both dinner and drinks. Taxi lines can be long so plan ahead or better yet hire a limo if you really need to be someplace on time.

Stayed December 2007
2 Thank pjfmpls
Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2007

We made the mistake of booking our trip during UN and Fashion week so all of the hotels were charging 200% more than the average rates, which was frustrating but i guess that is the name of the game. At any rate, we paid a bit more for a corner room to overlook Times Square. Looking back, probably not worth it. Its a small window in the corner of the room so its not like you can wake up and pull back the curtains to the extraordinary view. but the corner rooms do offer a bit more walking space with separate wardrobe, mini bar, etc. room in addition to the bed and bath rooms. If you are going to see plays, shop, etc. its perfect! just step outside and go! Particularly, if you are wanting discounted Broadway tix-the TIX booth is underneath the hotel. We really enjoyed being so close, especially after a good meal or late show and you want to walk and see the lights but not so far!! An extra recommendation-you mut get a drink or pre-show appetizers at the famed "The View" which is a revolving roof top bar/restaurant. very romantic!!

• Liked — Location and The View bar/restaurant
  • Disliked — pricey!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank 623sgcb
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2007

We just got back tonight (12/21/2007-12/22/2007) from a very decadent (we only live 1 1/4 hrs away) overnight trip to NYC, my Christmas gift from DH. This is the 3rd time I've been at the hotel, once for a business X-mas party in 1996 and 2 x's for personal fun, this stay did not disappoint.

The Marquis' biggest asset is placing visitors right in the thick of Times Square, which is like nothing else in the world. All the decorations and sheer adrenaline of the neighborhood plus hotel is almost intoxicating... and why we spend the $ instead of driving back home. It always sends our Christmas Spirit into overdrive, and I just love it. The tree in Rockefeller Center with the angels on each side is a sight that takes my breath away no matter how often I see it, and I've seen it countless times. FAO is always amazing, get there early and leave before the crowds. We did The American Museum of Natural History yesterday with the Supersaver rates and had a blast. Cosmic Collisions is the 3rd show we've seen in the new Rose Center Planetarium and it was breathtaking. The butterfly exhibit was super cool too. Getting to and from the Marquis on the Subway was super easy. In my opinion, getting around NYC from Times Square in general is easy as pie. They have subway maps in the hotel and concierge is a huge help. Cabs also line up outside for the non-adventurous or nervous.

We have 2 kids 8 & 9 so we again went with the least expensive 2 double bed room, not cheap even with DH's corporate partner discount which put us at a base of at $359 . Add on $60 to park 24 + 1 hrs valet and NY tax + a NYC hotel tax and it was a total of $470 or so. The beds are a bit small so this year we brought an airbed and comforter for DS which we placed between the 2nd bed and the window, DD was with me and DH got a bed to himself... it worked out GREAT. Because the rooms all open to an atrium noise can be bothersome for LIGHT sleepers, but since we brought a small travel fan for white noise we were ok. The room was again spotless. Again there wasn't a single problem with the elevators.

A HUGE plus to theater goers, or any visitor at all, is the fact that the Marquis now has a TKTS booth directly on the side of the building (where people can purchase 50% off same day Broadway and Theater tickets if you are OK with a hit or miss situation. We ALMOST did Mary Poppins today but opted to visit FAO instead, Wicked isn't there yet... too booked).

Another perk of the Marquis is that Restaurant Row is right there on 46th and is filled to the brim with wonderful restaurants. We eat dinner somewhere there every year and are never disappointed. Rolls and bagels with butter are available on almost every corner for a great breakfast (its what many NY'ers do).

Today we traveled a bit and all shared 2 slabs of ribs for lunch at the small but exceptional top rated RUB restaurant in Chelsea. RUB stands for Righteous Urban BBQ, and Oh my gosh, it was amazing.

We'll be back to the City next year.

• Liked — Location, location, location!
  • Disliked — Price is high. But then again, any nice place in NYC is expensive.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family