“Run-down but cozy and clean”

Murray Hill East Suites
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed here for about 3 nights, and I did enjoy it, but the rooms seemed rather old and run-down. However, it was still a nice place, and the kitchenette was pretty handy to have. It was not at all posh or extravagant but it was a good deal and comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Alex T

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Very handy to most mid Manhattan places & subway system. Hotel was presented well (although a little dated) but very comfortable. Only had one (out of 2) elevator working when we were there which was a bit annoying having to wait.Room was fine , having a kitchenette was also handy.
Recommend you get a room not facing the street due to noise from below.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bretmary
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I went back to Murray Hill East after 3 years. It was like coming home - to spacious comfort but noting that a renovation is sorely needed! I have stayed there various times on trips to the United Nations NYC as I travel too frequently to stay in pokey NYC hotel rooms. The spaciousness, comfort and basic amenities were all there. I booked a studio room as I had family visiting for a couple of nights and friends on the weekend- all of which meant i needed more than a hotel room. I paid 248 USD per night plus 8.95 per night for wireless. I will definitely stay there again as teh location is superb! far away from the regular tourist madness of 42nd street - but a straight bus up to teh Upper East side for meetings, 2 blocks away from Grand central station and close to several excellent restaurants including the Oyster bar at Grand central and the Nam Pang Vietnamese Sandwich shop on 41st street. For shoppers - several good stores nearby plus beauty salons and Duane Reade which i used extensively all within 2 blocks. The Pod hotel next door has an excellent rooftop bar and great lounge restaurant for tapas and drinks. The rooms show real signs of wear though and have not been renovated in over a decade. I stayed in 609 which has tow single beds and both mattresses were worn from use and I had a bit of a back ache after a couple of nights. The linen, utensils, etc all could do with replacement. I had to tussle to get the gas on every morning to heat water for my tea. Housekeeping run by two Polish women is efficient and good. All in all i would go back again for space and convenience but not expecting luxury surroundings.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We stayed from 6/3 to 6/7 2013. We had a one bedroom suite and had plenty of room to spread out and relax after a long day on the town. It was nice to have the small kitchen to fix a few snacks and the refrigerator for our leftovers and beverages. The staff was very accommodating and knowledgeable about the area. The housekeeping staff was more than willing to deal with us sleeping late some mornings and still managed to clean and stock our room. The location was great, just a short walk to grand central. There was plenty of lighting in the area to feel safe on our walks back after dark. Great price for the location.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Selected this hotel as we always go for suites. Our usual hotel (The EastGate Tower) had closed down and was under renovation as luxury Condos.

The MHES was a block up from the Eastgate Tower and we had passed it many times on previous visits.

Check in was quick and easy and the room (1107) was already prepared.
As with the Eastgate Tower, if you are looking for plush decor and furniture, this place is not for you.

But like me, if you was a fan of the Eastgate Tower for it'slocation, cost and simplicity, then MHES is like home from home.

There were a few niggly things but I won't detract from the experience by mentioning them as if you look under enough stones, you will definitely find a worm.

My two adult children occupied the two beds in the bedroom while my wife and I ended up with the pull out sofa bed.

The mattress was really thin and was so uncomfortable that I prefered to sleep in an armchair with my feet up on a chair.

The only thing that annoyed me was the cost of the wireless in the bedroom, $7.99 a day and $60 a month, nothing in between.
As we were staying 7 days, the month tariff was a no brainer.

Wireless was free in the Lobby but charging for wireless anywhere is a sure way to lose potential clients.

On the day of leaving, we secured a late check out for 3pm but as it was raining really heavily and we had done most things already, we extended this to 7pm for a price.

Really great place in a great location in a great City.

PS
If you ask the hotel to arrange a taxi, town car or Limo to (or from) JKF, ensure that you confirm the cost including tolls before you get onboard.

Our driver tried to rip us off on the return to JFK, fortunately we had checked on what we would expect to pay at the hotel.

NYC taxis are a flat $52 + tolls and optional tip to and from JFK. You can ask for a route avoiding the toll and the drivers are happy to do this (at particular times) if you hint that it will be more tip for them.

Town cars are typically $65 including tolls.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 11th floor facing the street and were not really worried by street noise. I didn...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank glenne_n
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This was my second stay at Murray Hill East Suites and I was rather disappointed this time. I booked a studio and although I was told I had been upgraded, it was hard to see how the room I was given was an improvement on the basic studio. The decor was tired and the carpet was stained, giving an overall impression of lack of cleanliness. The amount of space is great, especially for NYC, and the room was quiet. However the airconditioning was noisy and there did not appear to be a way to vary the temperature (which was pretty warm). The kitchenette was barely adequate with no sign of the advertised microwave and dishwasher. Just a sink, a stove, an oven that set off the smoke alarm when turned on, a coffee machine and a few odds and sods of crockery and cutlery. 1 large saucepan and 1 small frying pan. Not enough to cook with, or even to heat food up.
The suites are still good value for NYC, the staff are good and there is free wifi in the lobby. I would stay there again, but I would recommend booking a 1-bedroom apartment if having any sort of functional kitchen is important to you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if you prefer a room without too much street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank lovethattravel
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a very nice little hotel in midtown area, surrounded of bars and restaurants and a walk close to Grand station and The Empire state building. In a good neighborhood, I was able to walk late in the streets no problem, you have markets and pharmacy very close also.
The staff very nice, I have a double room, super spacious with kitchen (refrigerator, stove, plates, cups, and coffee maker), living room area, and a little round table. Good size bathroom. Clean and comfortable. There is Wi-Fi access in the lobby. The price, not cheap, 583.98$ for 2 nights, but is the price you pay for the area

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends