My wife had visited NYC before, but this was our first visit together and staying in Manhattan. Being budget-conscious we booked this hotel on an online 'sight unseen' website, so there is a bit of lack of control in selecting the hotel. We reconciled the cost (over $250CAD per night) with the convenience of being mid-town. However, we were pleasantly surprised, given some older reviews.
We arrived via the Airtransporter from La Guardia and were dropped off at Grand Central Terminal, about a five minute walk from the hotel. Our first impression of the staff was favourable and lasting - we found them polite and helpful. As we arrived mid-morning we stowed our bags and headed into the town. On our return later we found ourselves in suite #102 on the first (ground) floor, which featured an enclosed outdoor patio. The suite was a large living room (sofa, two armchairs, dining table and chairs, wall-mounted flat screen TV), large bedroom (king bed, plenty of closet space, wall-mounted flat screen TV), bathroom and small, equipped kitchen.
First of all, it was clean and warm. Decor is not 'modern', but not worn out either; our suite was fine, certainly for a few days in the city. It is roomy, so I think it would be comfortable for a longer stay. The kitchen was adequate - four settings of plates, cutlery, etc - and a dishwasher, fridge, microwave and gas stove. We only needed breakfast at the hotel (we came to see NYC, not the hotel!). However, apart from a kettle and a broil tray, I think it would be hard to 'cook' anything on the stove.
The bed was very comfortable (certainly had two thumbs up from my wife) and clean. There is a safe in a closet, but it was missing a lock of any sort. Fortunately this was not a problem for us, but if you wanted to secure your passports, cash, jewelry, etc it is a concern. We did not follow up with front desk as we didn't need it.
Location? Not bad at all, but be prepared to walk to mid-town attractions, or cab it. We found walking to be easy and interesting. Grand Central (5 minutes), Times Square (15 minutes), Macy's (15 minutes). Subway - north/south Lines 4,5 and 6 - go to either 33rd and Lexington (7 minutes) or Grand Central (42nd and Lexington - 5 minutes). Grocery store and liquor store on 3rd Avenue around the corner.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fully furnished rental apartments located in fashionable Murray Hill section. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Murray Hill East Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Murray Hill East Hotel New York City
- Murray Hill East Suite Hotel
- Hotel Murray Hill East
- Murray Hill East New York
- Murray Hill East Suites New York