“Great location; not so great room”

Millennium Broadway New York Times Square
Ranked #282 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 17, 2005

We stayed for a weekend in November 2004; a fleeting visit where we arrived on Friday and left Sunday night.

You won't be able to check in until about 4pm but they will take your luggage and store it until then. Really good location and all the downstairs public areas are stunning. The room was a big disappointment though.

The decor was shabby; lights didn't work and the bathroom looked like it needed an overhaul. The grouting was black with mildew and some of the tiles had been knocked off. The view from the room (overlooked part of Times Square) made up for some of it but it was still disappointing.

The staff at the hotel were brilliant and couldn't do enough to help; we were directed to a good place for breakfast; given maps and anything else we asked for.

We did write an email when we returned saying how disappointed we were and the hotel wrote a lovely letter back explaining that they were sorry for our experience and that currently they were renovating some rooms and offered us a free upgrade for next time.

1  Thank KB&PC

Reviewed March 15, 2005

Been to New York on previous occassions stayed in various hotels and thought would "upgrade" to a better hotel, after spending weeks reviewing different hotels ( Sofitel, Crowne Plaza, Hilton, Rennaissance etc ) decided on the Millennium( on Broadway ) on W44th Street. Can't fault the location, it is great but the "Club" rooms in this hotel were really not upto standard. Paid $280 per night for a room with a queen bed and a sofa with TV, basic continental breakfast and a cocktail every day - worth it I think not ! After just travelling from Singapore and paying $100 a night in the Intercontinental there, for a room with a king bed, sofa, relaxer chair, dining room table and chairs, two TV's, walk in shower, turn down service, fresh fruit and bottles of water daily and food and drink all day in their Club Room, it was to say a BIG disappointment. Not worth the money at all

3  Thank mads335
Reviewed March 10, 2005

WOnderful service, WOnderful hotel!!! Very impressed.

My husband arrived early and we had booked on Hotwire so we weren't sure what to expect. FIrst he was told we had full beds I believe. He asked if a queen was available....THey checked and told him to leave luggage come back later in the day. At check in time he returned and they put him into the newly renovated annex (gorgeous!!!) and I believe we had a king sized bed. ROom was SO nice!! We loved it. View was okay...we were on 7th floor so we couldn't see much!! It was in a great location!!!

Staff was very helpful!!
Great afternoon happy hour and morning breakfasts!!!

Drinks and hors d'ourves superb!!!
We will stay again!!

• Stayed: June 2003, traveled on business
9  Thank maryk1968
A TripAdvisor Member
Derby, England
Reviewed March 8, 2005

Myself and my fiance stayed at the millennium broadway from 11th-15th Feb for my 21st birthday. We arrived and checked in straight away to a lovely room on the 18th floor with excellent views of times square and the crysler building.

The room was spotless, only fault we could find was that the mini bar was out of service!

We didn't eat in the restaurant although we did have room service one night - great value for money and delicious food (especially the NYC cheesecake!)

This hotel is in an excellent location - 2 seconds from Times Square and about a 5-10 minute walk from Rockerfeller Centre and 5th ave, not too far to walk with all our shopping bags!

For great food nearby try the new Italian restaurant called Bond 21 right next door or Virgils BBQ grill opposite the hotel for some really authentic american cheap food!

The staff were extremely heplful - conceirge pointed us in the right direction for anywhere we wanted to go and a lovely doorman called Jack dealt with our cases and organised a car to the airport on the last day which allowed us to enjoy out last few hours in NYC wihtout anything else to worry about. We'd definately recommend getting a car through the hotel to the airport, much more comfortable than the yellow cabs, the driver was really chatty ant it only cost $50 inc toll.

When we return to NYC we will definatley be staying at the Millennium Broadway!

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 5, 2005

I stayed for three nights at this beautiful modern hotel in a great location. My corner room had views of the Chrysler Building and Times Square and was spacious, comfortable and clean. I thought the service was wonderful. I'm surprised that other reviewers didn't like this place - there were five rooms of us, and we all had wonderful experiences here. I'd highly recommend it!

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
12  Thank altadesigns
Reviewed February 27, 2005

We arrived after a 5 hour drive and the front desk clerk said "you were supposed to check in on Tuesday"- no, we were booked Thurs-Sun and this was Thursday, 2/24- good thing I had printed my confirmation from Hotwire. So after about a half hour, he came back and said we were all set for our "one-night stay" which we had booked and paid for as 3 nights!!

We finally got to our room. There is no coffee maker. No room service menu. No mini-fridge or mini-bar. The cabinet that used to be the minibar was not usable. There was trash from prior guests under the bed. The bathroom countertop was not clean. The grout around the bathtub tiles was black with mildew, and the shower head was coming out of the wall. There was a card on the ice bucket that said to call room service and they would bring you ice. Wrong. I called and room service told me to go find the ice machine. Also, make sure you don't let them put a "hold" on a credit card that you plan to use unless you have a huge credit line.

The location was unbeatable, steps from Times Square. When we checked out, I told them about the unsatisfactory condition of our room, and the clerk told me that they were in the process of "renovations." I'm just glad I only paid $120 per night on Hotwire. This is NOT a 4-star hotel as many sites say it is.

4  Thank oddcouple1
josephturano, General Manager at Millennium Broadway New York Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2016

I am so sorry to hear about your experience at our hotel. I am the new general manager of the hotel and I want to personally apologize and see how we can make the hotel better for future stays. It is only with your feedback that we can improve. For future stays at the Millennium Broadway, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at joseph.turano@mill-usa.com and I will personally ensure your accommodation needs are exceeded.

Regards,
Joseph

Reviewed February 23, 2005

We stayed here 11-15th Feb 05. Our expectations were fairly low, we'd read some of the reviews and also due to the central location we expected the room to be noisy and small. So we were pleasantly surprised, the room was much larger then expected and we heard very little street noise. The bathroom could've done with a little updating but I have seen much much worse.

We found the staff to be very courteous and we never experienced any problems, concierge even sang happy birthday to my husband on our 4th morning.

We loved NYC and would definitely use this hotel again. The location itself is a great selling point.

4  Thank lc1502