“Second try-- only worse!”

Millennium Broadway New York Times Square
Ranked #283 of 468 Hotels in New York City
West Palm Beach, FL
“Second try-- only worse!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We got a great deal on Expedia so it worked out to a little over $200 per night. I should have paid more to get a better experience. When we got into the room, it was hot and musty. I called the front desk and they sent a man from "engineering" who had a pointer with a reader that read that the A/C was putting out 56 degree air. He claimed that the reason that the room was hot was because the sheers were opened. I explained that sheers would not filter the heat; UV waves into the room don't get suppressed by sheers. He changed the filter which was badly caked and the room was barely tolerable on an 82 degree day. Had it been hotter outside, I would have checked out.
There wasn't a fan in the bathroom and they only had two towels for a room where we had two queen beds. The pillows were as flat as pancakes and the mirror on the closet door was shattered but taped across.
We finally got a coffee maker but coffee and cups were never replenished. Thank goodness I brought my own coffee.
If you're short on funds and want to stay steps from Times Square this place may do the trick. I've given them 2 tries and that's it for me.

Room Tip: The guy from engineering said that the lower floors were cooler in the heat.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Guestess
josephturano, General Manager at Millennium Broadway New York Times Square, responded to this review, October 18, 2016
I am so sorry to hear about your experience at our hotel. I am the new general manager of the hotel and I want to personally apologize and see how we can make the hotel better for future stays. It is only with your feedback that we can improve. For future stays at the Millennium Broadway, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at joseph.turano@mill-usa.com and I will personally ensure your accommodation needs are exceeded.

Regards,
Joseph

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (941)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My mom and I stayed at this hotel for four nights about two weeks ago. I've been to many hotels around the world from a hostel to very expensive one, but this hotel was the worst ever despite the fact that it has four stars. This is the first time I'm writing an online review for a hotel, because I felt the strong need to tell other customers who might be considering this hotel as a good option for their new york trip. I used groupon to book this hotel, so the room rate might have been lower compared to its original price. But it still cost me $789.71 for four nights, and I don't think that's cheap enough to make me and my mom feel that miserable during our stay.

1. The only good thing about this hotel: location is great. Just one block from Timesquare. Only when we got out of the hotel, we thought that this hotel is not too bad.

2. They lie: We originally booked a single bed room. Many hotels offer an upgrade to double beds, if there's a room left, and I usually ask when I check in. This is not required for hotels and I know that, but this kind of request is not unusual at all. At this hotel, when we first asked if there's a room for two double beds, the staff told me there's no room left. Then, an woman told the guy something quietly. After less than one minute, the same person told me there's a room for double beds. It was quite an weird experience to see how quick the room reservation status can change right in front of your eyes. The only conclusion I made was they lied in the first place. If they are not happy with the upgrade, they could have easily told me that they have no such policy or something instead of lying.

2. Dirty, smelly bed which had HOLES and STAINS on the duvet. A part of the duvet was apparently torn apart before and sewn afterwards (Something you wouldn't expect from four-star-hotel). And no duvet cover (I called the front to check if there's any, but they said there's none). I've never been in a bed which has holes and dirty stains like this, and of course never expected I would experience it in a four-star-hotel. Images attached for proof.

3. One bedside lamp and a floor lamp did not work.

4. No sound-proof at all. My mom said it's almost like listening to a radio and that's how clear you can hear what your neighbors say.

5. Once you turn on the TV, you cannot turn it off.

6. Once you have a bath in a tub, you will need to wait for it to be fully flushed for an hour. The part that flushes water in the tub was broken.

7. No room floor cleaning.

8. Although they say they will provide a mini refrigerator to keep your food and drinks if you ask, when you really ask for that, they say there's none. And they never say sorry for that.

9. Water in the toilet bowl kept running.

10. When we first arrived, the shampoo already had been used. They did not prepare new shampoo for us.

11. During our stay, the number of towels kept changing. We actually heard that one of our neighbors complained about this too. (Again, this is how clear you can hear what your next room people say)

Collectively, I would never go back to this hotel again. I stayed at the millenium hotel in LA once and was completely satisfied with it, but this hotel was just HORRIBLE. We could not hear anyone saying sorry during our entire stay. What a great guest service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Soo S
EmilyRF, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at Millennium Broadway New York Times Square, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and that your stay was anything less than an excellent one. Your experience is not a reflection of what our hotel services is truly all about. I would like to follow up on your concerns with the appropriate department head leaders to ensure this is not a repeat situation. Please contact me directly with the full name on your reservation, the dates of your stay and your TripAdvisor comment attached. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,
Emily
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 16, 2013

As has been noted numerous times, the location of this hotel outstanding. Convenient to pretty much everything including the major subway lines/stations making it easy to get anywhere in the city. Our room was on the 19th floor facing 44th street. The view was ok and we did not have any problems with street noise. And my wife is a very light sleeper. The room was nice, nothing terribly fancy. Beds were very firm which was fine for us. The staff was very nice and helpful. We arrived at 10 a.m. They held our bags for us, checked us in, and had our room ready by noon. My only complaint was the $13/day charge for wifi. In this day and age I have a problem with hotels that do not provide free wifi. We did not pay for the wifi and the the wifi hotspot on my phone which worked fine. We booked the room through hotwire and felt that the price we paid made this hotel a good value. Not certain if I would stay here at their regular rates though. Overall, a nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
bay area
Reviewed August 15, 2013

You cannot beat the location in NY. It is right off time square which is preferable as it is not as crowded around like say the Marriott Marquis. The price is quite reasonable. The carpet is a little dated and furniture a little worn but overall I feel one of the best values if you want to stay near times square.

Stayed July 2013
UK
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

You cannot fault the location of this hotel - right in the middle of Times Square. Hotel staff are lovely (particularly the guys on the door) but the rooms are a little 'tired'. If you can look beyond the need for the rooms to be redecorated / capeted, then it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Pleasant check in by Lisset, very good room size and comfortable bed, fantastic view of Times Square and walking distance to the theater. We look forward to returning and will recommend the hotel to our friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at The Millennium Hotel Broadway for a month while I was doing business in New York. My experience was nothing short of extraordinary. The location speaks for itself. You simply can't beat the experience of staying in the middle of Times Square. It feels like you are at the epicenter of the world. The staff at the Millennium is extremely friendly and welcoming. The front desk was great, Selcheck was very witty and friendly, and a pro at his job. Philip, the concierge, knew New York like the back of his hand and was very helpful when it came to finding great places to eat. The accommodations met all of my needs, and the room was comfortable and spacious. This hotel was essential in creating the perfect home away from home in NYC.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience with us during your recent visit to New York City. We are pleased to hear that you had a memorable 5 star experience and that you were made to feel comfortable to the point that you could call our hotel your home away from home. Selcheck and Phillip are great and love what they do. We’re so proud to have them part of the Millennium Broadway family. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind Regards,