Before I start I'm not usually picky about my hotel rooms, so longs its clean and useable I'm happy. This was a special trip for our silver wedding anniversary, months of saving and organising. On arrival we were impressed with the exterior and the lobby. Check in was easy and staff friendly. There appeared to be several porters/ bell hops standing around the lobby but we were not approached about help with our bags (my husband is disabled). We struggled to the elevators which we never waited longer than 30 seconds or so for
. We found our room (33rd floor), on opening the door there appeared to be white paint chips on the floor at the entrance to the room (whatever they were the room hadn't been vacuumed). The carpet was filthy. We asked for and got a king size bed and it was huge, reasonably comfortable too. I was shocked to see an uncovered duvet on the bed and while it looked clean I can only hope these are laundered between visitors!!! The bathroom appeared clean but it was old and tired, shower curtain had seen better days and badly stained wallpaper hanging off the walls. The view from our corner room was amazing, Chrysler building from one side and the ball drop from the other. One of the drawers had waste material (clean) from previous occupants and I believe the housekeeping staff let the place down, I understand they will be busy and on a tight turnaround schedule but there's no excuse for not checking drawers and vacuuming (those paint chips were still on the floor 5 days later :-(
I felt wifi in the rooms was expensive but it's your own choice to pay it or not. There is free wifi in the lobby but its often impossible to get a seat due to the large groups of teenagers who congregate there (maybe there was an influx of school trips or something when we were there?). Concierge was very helpful about places to eat, directions etc. there is a theatre desk available but we found going to the specific theatre and buying direct $30 each cheaper, same tickets!!
We only ate breakfast once at the hotel and it was amazing and not overly expensive (for NYC), waiting staff were lovely, courteous and friendly, they are a credit to the hotel!
When we arrived we checked the mini bar and there appeared to be a can of coke missing. We reported this to reception on our first day yet we were still charged for it (it was removed when we queried it). Also a warning to others from outwith USA who are not used to what's local/long distance. We never imagined New Jersey was classed as long distance and were charged $25 for a 2 minute call!!! We queried this and explained we would have been cheaper using our UK based mobile phones and had we realised the call charges we would have used them. They also don't display a list of call charges in the room, so overseas visitors have no quick access to calling charges. Thankfully we were met with understanding and the charge was waived, we were happy to pay something but it was refused, so for that kudos to the hotel and its staff.
Check out was simple and as we had a night flight we left our bags in the baggage area where they are secured. After retrieving our bags ready to leave yet again several porter type staff hanging about the lobby and they watched us struggle with our bags the same as they did when we arrived.
As for location, I don't think you'll get any better, absolutely perfect, heart of Times Square, subway, restaurants and theatres all on your doorstep!
So all in all the hotel was fine but on this special occassion we weren't looking for fine, we were looking for nice and I'm really sorry to say in our experience that's not what we found, we wouldn't return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- New York is the city that never sleeps. In the center of it all, Millennium Broadway Hotel New York is located in the heart of Times Square giving guests a front row seat to all of the endless action and constant excitement. We cater to both leisure and business travelers and is why we are preferred choice for a New York City hotel. We boast a welcoming, multi-lingual cast and crew, 626 thoughtfully appointed rooms, a 24/7 fitness center and complimentary Wi-Fi. In addition, our meeting and event facilities are second to none. Featuring 64,000 sq ft (5,945 sq m) of flexible meeting space, we are the only hotel in the city accredited by the International Association of Conference Centers. Discover our world and experience an iconic visit to NYC. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Millennium Broadway New York Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Millennium Hotel New York City
- Millennium Broadway Hotel
- Millenium Hotel Nyc
- Millenium Hotel New York