“Search Elsewhere - Unless You Really Need to Stay Here”

Millennium Broadway New York Times Square
Ranked #282 of 467 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco, California
“Search Elsewhere - Unless You Really Need to Stay Here”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I know we're all looking for a good deal when we go to NY. And finding a nice priced hotel in this city is hard, but I can't emphasize the need to find another hotel besides this one if you like to feel like you're valued as a guest. I even selected this hotel because of its proximity to my company's office. You would think that with the Millenium brand it would be a better hotel. But, here's how the Millenimum disappointed:

1) This hotel often hosts large groups and I arrived at check-in time for another group. My wait in line was so long and the line behind me was even longer. I felt sorry for all of us. It just made us all grumpy. Also: the main entry way was lined with bags from a previous group. It was just congested. Gave me anxiety to see that many bags in the entrance.
2). The room I was first given - 3606 - had the following issues: the carpet was dirty (yuck) and there would be no way in the world I would walk barefoot in this room. The duvet was lumpy, one of the lamps bulbs was out, the lamp base was filthy with finger prints (see picture I uploaded), there was a blond hair under the comforter when I pulled it back, there were towels from the previous guest still hanging on the bathroom door, and the soap dish was crooked/old. All of these issues I uploaded pictures here in TA - take a look.
3) Bathroom amenities were of poor quality. I would need to wash my hands 3 times with their soap just to feel like my hands were clean. I just ended up using my own soap that I had brought - thank goodness.

I will give credit to the hotel staff for the following reasons:
1) I obviously complained about the status of this room and they attempted to fix it by sending Facilities to fix the lamp, Housekeeping to bring new towels (and forgot to take the old ones). I didn't want this room, needless to say and requested a new room. The manager gave me a voucher for breakfast but added that there are "750 rooms in this hotel and I can't know the condition of every one of them." Ummm, excuse me, but that's not quite the attitude I expected from the manager - his name was Michael, btw.
2) He did move me to a better room however. It was a higher floor (same kind of view) and I really couldn't believe the difference. This newer room had a large window area on two sides, was much bigger, with a larger bathroom, and decorated a lot better. I must have been upgraded a level...but still some lingering issues: dirty carpet and there were cobwebs and stains on the wallpaper near the door.
3) The bed was much better and no lumpy duvet this time - see pics of the upgraded room.
4) Elevators worked well.

Although I did not experience it, my colleagues later told me that this hotel has been known to have bedbugs. The good news about that is that if they did, they were forced to clean it out so it's probably cleaner than some other hotels. However, the hotel snob that I am, I will not stay here again. I want clean walls, working fixtures, clean carpet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Irene W
EmilyRF, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at Millennium Broadway New York Times Square, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We are currently working on improvements in many of our rooms however this does not justify your experience. I would like to further assist you with your concerns. If you would like you may contact me at erodriguez-febles@mill-usa.com with the full name on your reservation and the dates of your stay so we can ensure your concerns are followed up on and is not a reoccurring concern for future guests.

Emily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (950)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Not the top luxury hotel but perfect for this visit and reasonable price. Room was a good size, for NY rooms. Bed, sofa, desk, 2 sidetables...very large bathroom with huge tub, shower stall, 2 lighted sinks - great bathroom!...and iron and ironing board, hairdryer. We were in the Premier section. Monique was the most helpful, as were the others. She was personable, attentive, cheerful, professional. Good breakfast served in a.m. and drinks in p.m. served on M floor. Location was close to everything so we walked through Midtown, even down to Chelsea, up to Central Park. A good find.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Irongate69
Thank you for sharing your experience with our sister property, The Premier Hotel. Monique is a great asset to the hotel and we enjoy having her part of our team. We hope to service you as our guest in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Berwyn, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Arrived Dec 14 for 2 nights. My first room, on the 31st floor, was just plain awful. Small, dirty, loud, no comforter, peeling wallpaper, and moldy shower. When I saw the dirty towels and underwear in the bathroom from the previous occupant I called for another room. The front desk quickly upgraded me to a larger room on the 46th floor. What a difference. This room was big, comfortable, clean, a huge down comforter, an updated bathroom, and quiet. So...make sure you ask for an upgrade, or pay for an upgraded room, it makes all the difference.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank syonk
Please allow me to apologize for the negative experience you had at the beginning of your stay. I assure you that this is not the standards we hold our hotel to and I would like to further investigate your concerns and take proper measures to eliminate the negative experience you stated. Please contact me at erodriguez-febles@mill-usa.com with the full name on your reservation and the dates of your stay so that I may further assist you.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed there Dec 13-15, 2012

- location was fantastic
- bell staff were friendly and excellent
- everything else was terrible...

- first room, unbelievable harsh small of feces throughout...window wide open when we walked in could not hide the horror
- new room - small black bugs in the bathroom
- shower facet leaked badly into the bathroom
- carpet and wallpaper were 15 years old if a day
- the promised exercise facility was a joke - with broken tv's, broken elipticals
- bed made concrete feel soft....and we like hard beds
- conceirge had no clue where key spots in Times Square were - Carmines, Carolines comedy club or NBC Studios - which was within 4 blocks.

stay in 25 different hotels a year, worst hotel in the past decade....and it is stated as a 4 star....that would be true if it was on a 100 point scale!!!! very disappointing!!!

Bet this was a nice hotel in 1980!

Room Tip: Do not stay there ....UNLESS....you love the smell of human feces and/or you get the room for under...
4 Thank Don M
Please allow me to apologize that you stay was anything but excellent. We value each of our guests and it’s never pleasant to be informed that any of our guests had a negative experience. I would like to follow up on your concerns with the appropriate department leaders. Please contact me at erodriguez-febles@mill-usa.com with the full name on the reservation and the dates of your stay.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

My husband bought me a trip away to New York for my birthday. We were told this hotel was the most luxurious one on Times Square. When we arrived we were greeted by very nice doormen and reception staff. My husband upgraded us to a premier room and on the pictures it looked lovely. We arrived at our room to find it was very small and needed a major refurb, nothing like the picture. It was warm and clean so no need to make an issue of it. Throughout our stay we did have a few problems. I rang and asked for two more pillows, 2 hours later on our way out I had to tell reception they still hadn't arrived. In the room description there was meant to be a hair dryer but there wasnt so i asked for one, when it came it was broken so i had to get another. The day after we walked into our room after a day out to find there was an extra fridge in our room??? I rang down to ask why and they said they didn't know and it would be removed. We left a couple of days later and it was still there. When we come to New York next time I think I will find somewhere else

• Stayed December 2012
EmilyRF, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at Millennium Broadway New York Times Square, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Please allow me to apologize that your experience with us was less than excellent during your stay. I would like to further discuss that concerns you had. Please contact me at erodriguez-febles@mill-usa.com with the full name on your reservation and the dates of your stay so that I can address the concerns you mention and ensure this is not a repeat occurrence with our future guests.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Epsom
Reviewed December 14, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful 5 night stay at the Millennium Broadway Hotel in New York. We had a fantastic time and have nothing but praise for the hotel and the staff we came across.
Our room was on the 46th floor with great views over Times Square and part of the Empire State Building. The room itself was extremely comfortable with two double beds, a large seating area and a very well appointed bathroom. During our stay we never actually saw anyone from Housekeeping as we were out when they cleaned the room but must say everything was kept spotless and fully stocked toiletries. A really outstanding room.
The restaurant was closed prior to imminent refurbishment (open for breakfast) but as we enjoy eating in the evening in various local restaurants and diners that did not affect us in any way.
What did surprise us though was the amount of time we spent in the bar. Perhaps I should explain that comment! We found the hotel bar absolutely delightful and a real haven away from the lovely but frenetic atmosphere in Times Square. The service was excellent and we spent many happy hours in there relaxing after hectic days out.
The hotel is in a perfect location literally yards away from Times Square and is a little oasis of peace and quiet. We have stayed in other hotels in New York which have been so busy and noisy but, despite the hotel being full, we always found it peaceful and with just enough buzz to give a nice atmosphere.
Everyone we met was extremely helpful and I must mention Emily Rodriguez-Febles, Executive Assistant, who had helped us with our booking - it was a pleasure to meet her and have a chat. Also Marc on the Bell Counter was most helpful when we arrived and inadvertently left some hand luggage in the bar whilst waiting for our room to be made ready. We then kept bumping into him during our stay and that also was a pleasure.
We had stayed at the hotel 12 years ago and this was delightful return visit. We look forward to our next stay with much anticipation.
May I briefly digress and mention a couple of things we did to possibly assist other visitors. We went on a train trip from Grand Central to Cold Spring, a delightful quaint little town 50 miles north west of Manhattan – a wonderful scenic train journey along the Hudson River.
We saw two shows – the Rockettes Radio City Christmas Spectacular – a superb show which we saw two years ago and was the main reason for our visit. Then we saw “Nice Work If You Can Get It” starring Matthew Broderick at the Imperial Theatre, a comedy musical with 20 wonderful Gershwin songs and a new “book”. It was an amazing show, hysterically funny with magical singing and dancing – a real feel-good show.

Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed December 13, 2012

The location of this hotel was fantastic. My wife and I stayed here six nights on our first trip to NYC and were very happy here. It is not the fanciest hotel, but it was clean and the room we had was large with a view of Times Square. Lots of restaurants close by and of course you are right in the middle of Times Square. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Times Square, the front desk will try to help you out with that!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your 5 star experience with us! I am pleased that all went smoothly during your stay with us and that we were able to provide you with a wonderful view. We look forward to welcoming your back for your second visit to NYC.