“Great view and right near 9/11 memorial”

New York Marriott Downtown
Ranked #193 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

This is a nice older hotel. The rooms are well kept and medium sized. The room rate plus all the taxes leaves a little to be desired. Even for downtown this is a little pricy. You cannot beat the view if you get a room facing the river. There are, of course, lots of great places to eat well within walking distance. Be prepared for the $70 of taxes per night on top of the lofty room rates. Pretty much any room in downtown will require a fat wallet so this hotel will take care of you just as well as any of the high end names.

Stayed: June 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,878)

Reviewed August 1, 2014

Marriott Downtown is located a few blocks from the 9/11 Memorial, Battery Park and the FiDi. This hotel is very comfortable, and exactly what you would expect from a Marriott in New York City. Rooms are clean, modern and up-to-date. Plenty of restaurants in the area in all price ranges.

Room Tip: If possible, get a room facing the 9/11 Memorial or the river ...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel for a weekend stay recently and thoroughly enjoyed our time here. It is right next to the 9/11 Memorial and a couple of blocks from Battery Park. It's about a 15 minute subway ride to uptown/Times Square. There are plenty of places to eat close to the hotel that are very reasonable if you are budget conscious like we were! We arrived at the hotel @ 9:30am and were able to check in and get to our room! This was a nice surprise as I assumed it would not be ready until after 1:00pm at the earliest. Free wifi in the lobby but not in the rooms. Yes, I concur with earlier reviewers that charging for wifi in a hotel in 2014 is just plain irritating. The rooms are spacious and very clean. I was on a weekend family trip but I am sure business travelers would be happy with the workspace and would be comfortable here. Great base for sightseeing ventures in the city. We walked down to the piers by Wall St. and took the NYC Water Taxi one day, took the subway to Times Square and bought discounted theatre tickets and went to see Mama Mia that night, and took the subway to Central Park. For those who haven't been to NYC recently, the subway is $2.50 per trip. This hotel is very close to subway stations. I would stay here again!

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We had a great experience and loved our room. It was a room with a view of the Hudson River and had 2 double beds. We were very surprised at the size of the room and it had a fridge which came in handy. The staff was very helpful providing ideas of where to eat. One place recommended was Xi'an Famous Foods and it was awesome. Very close to the 9/11 memorial/museum and walking distance to Stone street which is a fun place to go where you can sit outside to eat/drink. I believe there were about 8 - 10 restaurants to choose from. We did not eat at the hotel so I have no idea how the food is there. If I was going to be in that area again, I would definitely stay here. I found no issues at all. The Beds and pillows were very comfortable as well.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Kelly S
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

This is a horrible hotel
Staff is not bothered including the rooms director mark collins
I had a small room which was smelling and even after several complaints the hotel staff did not do anything to make my stay enjoyable
I will never visit again

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank kabir M
Mark C, Front Office Manager at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Kabir M
We apologize for our inability to meet your expectations, thank you for the opportunity to respond.

Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

After weeks of traveling, I was excited to stay at an "indulgent" property like a Marriott for a night. I didn't expect much from this hotel: though it's in a busy area, it's reputation, as far as I know, if for the business traveler. So, I expected a solid "overnight" hotel with little life. Boy, was I wrong!

The rooms are wonderful, complete with beds than will envelop you and as many pillows as your heart desires. The in-room safe is one of the most secure I've ever seen, and also feels somewhat futuristic. Hey, there's a Starbucks in the lobby!

My greatest compliment though, is about the service. This was the BEST check-in experience I've ever had. Aliia K. was inquisitive, informative and went the extra mole to make sure I enjoyed my stay. She helped meet my unique room needs, and when she found out our group was celebrating two birthdays, sent us up some champagne! If Marriott is reading this, hang onto her, she's a good egg.

2  Thank Jonathan J
Karen W, Internet Correspondence Specialist at New York Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Dear Jonathan J,

It was such a pleasure to read your review! We are delighted to hear we exceeded all your expectations. At the Marriot Downtown our goal is to make your stay as pleasant as possible. We take pride in providing friendly and efficient check-in experiences. We are thrilled this was the best check in experience you ever had! I will be sure to pass on your comment to Aliia. We are so lucky to have her with us. Thank you so much for staying with us. Please let us know if there is anything we can do during your next stay to ensure that your time spent here is brilliant!

Warm Regards,
Karen

Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Comfortable hotel with pleasant hotel staff always willing to help. Easy access to all the sights around lower manhattan - 9/11 memorial and museum, battery park, wall street and south street seaport. Need to go uptown? Just jump on the subway a couple blocks away. Room was fresh clean and quiet. Would recommend a stay for business or pleasure.

One footnote, and this is relevant to many hotels, if want us to hang our towels to use multiple days, please provide a few hooks in the bathroom.

Dear sharonAnnapolis,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We are pleased to hear our staff were always willing to help. We are also happy your rooms were fresh, clean and quiet. We are thrilled you would recommend us!

We value your opinion. We think it is a great idea to add some hooks in the bathroom. .We look forward to seeing you soon!

Kind Regards,