“Very average hotel in Downtown NY”

New York Marriott Downtown
Ranked #192 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott for a conference. I wouldn't have chosen the destination otherwise. There's nothing really nearby, no bar or restaurant in the hotel currently, and room service breakfast was extortionate!

The rooms are ok - but there's no water provided or robes. Not what I expect from a hotel at this price marketing itself to business travelers.

the only redeeming feature of this hotel is that it is quite near Century 21. If I go to the conference next year I'll stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for New York Marriott Downtown

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I bid through Priceline and got a rate that was too good to be true. The hotel is modern, with all the amenities. The gym had 4 treadmills which is unusual but good as hotels usually only have one or two. The concierge was very helpful, freely offering advise and tips on restaurants, entertainment, and sightseeing. The room was a bit small and had a view facing another building. But for the price, it was a steal (7 days, less than a $G all in). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The downtown marriott is right in the heart of downtown new york. A few blocks from the hudson, right around the corner from the freedom tower, and quick walk to some restaurants and shops. Our room had a great view of the the hudson. The room was a rather decent size for manhattan. Note: The hotels' restaurant and starbucks are under renovation due to hurricane sandy, theres a dunkin donuts right around the corner. Bellhop service was good, parking is $55 a night for a car and $65 a night for a suv. My only complaint is that it was a bit noisy. You could hear people walking in the hall, doors closing and we were in a corner room. Would stay there again though, just because the location is excellent.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I have never been in a Marriott where they lock all the restrooms. The attitude of the staff was tough luck my friend. As an uber Platnum guy I would be embarrassed to recommend anyone stay here. If you can't get the little things right, I can only imagine the big customer service issues.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Adeta2nyc1
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have stayed here for years. There were two restaurants at one time. The front one has been closed. The one towards the back was a sports bar. When we stayed this last time both restaurants were closed and there was no bar. There is a breakfast set up on the 2nd floor. Not sure how this can be a full service Marriott??? There should be some disclaimer when booking the hotel.

Room Tip: Book a hire room. Construction in and around the hotel
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The room was large by NY standards, but the rest of our stay was marked by mismanagement, big time! First, we were awakened at 3:00 am by a wakeup call that we did not place!! They seemed rather "we don't know or care" when I asked more than once to trace how this happened. It was really disruptive. We had misinformation just about each time we left the car with the valet about the timing on retrieving it, whether we were checking out or just leaving for a few hours, etc. No one seemed to be trained to give the same answer! Finally, when I asked for a cable for a wired computer connection in the room, I was given a whole gizmo, asked to leave a $100 deposit, and then spent an hour trying to get the "wired connection" to work, only to discover that the desk clerk was completely misinformed and that, in fact, the connections in the room were not active. I have no patience for this kind of stuff. All it takes is a protocol for each thing I have mentioned so that every employee knows the same story. Sorry...but I like a hassle-free stay when I stay in a hotel and I won't stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lulupearl
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The hotel is undergoing renovations, and there is no restaurant. Zip. Nada. They suggested I go out the backdoor and to the W Hotel to eat. There is a limited room service menu, which they tell you is food from a nearby restaurant, so it will take a while for the food to arrive. I didn't see a bar, either. The in house Starbucks is closed as well. I did see some pizzas being delivered when I was downstairs.

The room is a typical Marriott room, no surprises. The hotel is located adjacent to Ground Zero.

That's really all I can think to say about it.

Stayed: April 2013