“Really neat views, not so spectacular service”

New York Marriott Downtown
Ranked #203 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Fairfax, Virginia
“Really neat views, not so spectacular service”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Our room was up on a very high floor, so we had great views. It was a good sized room and decently comfortable, but needed to be cleaned better. There were hand smudge marks all over the bathroom door which really gave me the heebie jeebies.
The lobby was partially under construction and the restaurant was closed because of flooding from Sandy. No big deal, because there is so much else in the area.
When we pulled up, there was no valet out front, and the street was really busy, so we actually circled the block and found a cheaper parking lot next door (turn right before hotel). Parking there was only $40 as compared to $65. The hotel automatically added parking to our bill, and when my husband went downstairs to fix the error, the woman at the front desk was super rude to him and very snotty. It eventually got fixed, but it was the hotel's error, and we were both annoyed at the woman's attitude.
I think there are better places to stay in New York. Last year we stayed at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott, and I liked that far better!!

Room Tip: high floors have good views
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Went to NYC on business, this hotel was perfectly situated for a business trip but might be a bit of a ride to get uptown to see the sights. My room was well appointed and very confortable, the gym was in good order. The staff were excellent and nothing was to much trouble! WIll definteley be back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Worker247365
Washington, DC
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I just booked my third stay at this property -- I attend an annual conference there and won't stay anywhere else. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable and the staff are very nice. Looking forward to another great dinner in the sports bar there too -- really good, affordable food and great service.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GlobetrotterDC
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband and I caught an overnight to NYC and landed at 5.30am. We had requested an early check in and were pleasantly surprised when we were able to get into our room at 7am. The room was clean, spacious, light and the beds were very comfortable. The workout facility on site had a great array of equipment which seemed to be fairly new. The hotel is downtown which is great if you want to attend the 911 memorial or Wall Street. I would not recommend this hotel if you plan to visit most of the sites uptown. My husband was working so I caught the subway. The green express 4 or 5 takes between 20-30 min to get uptown. It is $2.50 each way, so it makes for affordable excursion. The hotel did not offer room service for lunch and dinner. There are however a few good delis all within walking distance.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rblavin
Shrewsbury
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Just a quick review. We stayed right after Christmas until NY Eve and had a great stay. The staff were all very helpful, the hotel itself was in very good condition, clean and our room, a double queen, was more than sufficient for 3 adults. As the restaurant, bar and Starbucks were still closed due to the effects of Sandy, the hotel provided free coffee, muffins, bagels and fruit in the mornings which was well appreciated. Location-wise it is perfect for the new 9/11 Memorial Site, Freedom Tower, Battery Park, Staten Island Ferry and boats to Liberty & Ellis Islands. Well serviced by the subway it's easy to head Mid & Uptown when you want to see the sights up there. If we can get such a good deal next time we head across the Pond to NYC, we'd certainly like to stay there again.

Room Tip: A few good takeout places /diners nearby
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank GB40
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I really did not expect much since it was a one day business trip, however, the staff at this hotel are great. When I got there I had the flu and it was pretty cold, I ordered room service and the person who brought me my meal showed so much concern and offered to get me some medication. Every time I encountered the staff at this hotel the experience was memorable. Thank you for making me feel so much better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Laura A
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 27, 2013

You want the Truth well here it is;
Couldn't fault this Hotel at all, great views, great location the concierge lounge is amazing!
Then finish off your night with a drink in the Sports Bar.

We were even given tickets from the front desk for the 9/11 memorial.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple