“tired hotel”

New York Marriott East Side
Ranked #286 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 8, 2010

this hotel is indeed in a good area but the hotel is so tired it's sad. our room had crappy litle half-windows at the floor level (my wife said it was like being in prison), it had water-damage and rotting in the bathroom, the ac didn't work even after we called to complain so the room was unbearably hot (we didn't sleep well at all at this hotel), and so on. the hotel and overall experience there was crap.

i actually took the time to write an email to the hotel to complain and the only response i got was to call the hotel. last thing a busy traveler/worker wants after they complain via email is to have to talk on the phone more about a bad experience.

i suggest you steer clear of this VERY tired hotel. it's overpriced and just not worth it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank imfletcher72
Write a ReviewReviews (2,270)

Reviewed August 4, 2010

surprisingly quiet and great location. the bed was so comfortable, very nice expereince. Lobby leaves alot to be desired, but service and concierge was fine. would stay again

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2010

This was our first trip to New York. We took the train into Penn Station then took the subway to Grand Central Staton and then walked from 42nd to 49th to the hotel(The blocks are very short). Great location on Lexington ave. When we checked in, the front desk woman was very polite and helpful. We were checked into the room in less than 5 minutes we were given room 924 which faces Lexington ave. The room wasn't too high up but I barley noticed the noise exept for a few horns at around 11:00pm one night. The room was a decent size and much bigger than I expected.

Pros:
1. The Location! Walking distance to almost everything.
2. Decent sized rooms that were updated with new beds, furniture, fridge that wasn't a mini bar, and bathrooms.
3. Over all great staff. All very polite and willing to help exept the concierge.

Cons:
1. The double beds were TINY for a family of 4 although they were not completely uncomfortable. I think the beds were just shorter than normal double beds.
2. The $16.95 per day internet charge is outrageous considering its been free in nearly every hotel i've ever stayed in but I guess thats New York for you.
3. The concierge was terrible. He acted as if he would rather be anywhere but where he was and gave me very little eye contact. He gave us mediocre to downright horrible restaurant recomendations. After the second restaurant, we just found our own places and they were great. One place worth mentioning was a place a block east off 3rd called Ashtons. The food was horrible and over priced. I should have gotton a clue when the restaurant was dead. Not many people in there and now I know why...

Over all, this was a great hotel with just a few minor issues but there is no such thing as a perfect hotel and I would problably stay again if I could get another great rate.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank FloridaPanthersfan
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Got there at 9:00 a.m. and we were able to get our room immediately. All the Hotel Staff were friendly and wonderful. There was a small glitch with our American Girl Package and they made it right and even added the concierage room. The manager called and then came to the room and gave me his card. I couldn't have asked for a better stay with my Granddaughter. I will be back again and again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank LizAnn28
Reviewed June 22, 2010

This hotel is in a great location - 49th & Lexington. The hotel is really nice - rooms are nice, beds are so comfortable. The shower is great. The rooms are nice and quiet - hard to believe you're in the middle of the city! The only bad thing was that the bar in the hotel closed at midnight - on a Saturday night!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2010

This is by far one of my favorite hotels. Its not special beds or amenities that make it so awesome but the people. The staff is very friendly and dedicated to making everyone feel special in the sea of anonmyous faces in NYC. The rooms are clean, beds are comfortable. The TV is a flat screen with the plug-ins for computers. For gold and platinum members, the conscierge room is one of the best I have ever seen; the conscierge staff are the best people to visit with upon getting up and after a stressful day. Kenda always goes out of her way to be helpful and friendly!!

Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2010

For my second trip to NY I stayed for 7 nights at this hotel that was September '09
We were checked in in 5 minutes!! Great after a long time in traffic from the airport to the hotel!
Our room was big enough en we had a very nice bathroom and a great view on the Waldorf!!
We had breakfast in the hotel the first morning, it was very tastefull but too much food, so after that we took our breakfast at Café Metro!
Connelly's is another place were you can eat very good!! 2 blocks down the hotel!
The concierge was so helpfull! Thx to him we finally found the HBO shop! True Blood fans support each other! :)
Wat was also good? Fith avenue was close by, Bloomingdale's ... Times Square!
The only thing that I really didn't like was the noise at night! But that is NY I guess, that was the only bad thing!
I really recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends