“I liked it!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hong Kong, China
“I liked it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

Nice rooms. Comfy beds. Nice coffee machine in the room. Well located for business and restaurants. Friendly staff. Plenty of Hobbits and no Orcs. No elves sneaking into the room in the middle of the night looking for trouble. No dwarves. No wizards. No Bassilisk. Three point to Gryffendor. Free sorting hat. Nice lobby bar. Not too much traffic noise. A bit pricey but it was Frodo's shout so why should I care? ................................................................................................................................................................................. .............."...............................

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

This hotel was good in many ways, but it just doesn't live up to the price or the ranking of a five-star hotel. The pro's were the M-Lounge that I was allowed to use for being an Elite member. The location is excellent and it is clean inside. I found my room to be plenty large enough, with some nice updates done to the bathroom. The reviews are correct, it is very noisy, but I suspect that's hard to change without some very costly updates. It seems to be a trend for older buildings in NY. However, for over $500 a night, there just was nothing special about the service or amenities. I will say that when spoken to and asked questions, the staff was very friendly and responsive. But no one offered to take my bags, open a door, or acknowledged me with even a hello if the M-Lounge. It just doesn't have the feel of a 5-star hotel. I have been trying to decide whether to stay in the Marriott program or to start venturing out and trying hotels. I think for the prices Marriott charges, it's time for me to try other hotel brands. The perks for Marriott Rewards members are not that great, especially being a member who has their credit card too.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank NicFagan
CareAgent, Manager at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Thank you for this feedback. I'd like to apologize for having disappointed you in regards to the service provided. We pride ourselves on personalized and polished service service. I don't believe this represents our usual standard of service. I will ensure that this feedback is shared with our team. We strive to show all our guests an exceptional hospitality experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. If I may be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me so that I may personalize your upcoming stay.
Cocoa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

My mom and I stayed here this past weekend. The room was supposed to be handicap access Assessable however it was not. Beds were soft and pillows were comforable. There was a lot of excess traffic noises that we heard. The bathroom was average. It was an older hotel and the age shows. they offer breakfast here but beware...it's crappy food and for two of us it was $87! There was nothing more on the buffet than what you would get free at a holiday Inn express or Hampton. No made to order eggs or anything. It was a rip off. Food was cold and not turned often enough. There are better and cheaper places to eat! Don't waste your money here.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Marriott E, Guest Service Expeditor at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Good morning

Thank you for choosing the Marriott East Side hotel for your recent visit. We are always eager to hear about your experience with us.

From your comments, it seems you were very dissappointed with the quality of the hotel, the cost for the buffet breakfast and also the street noise. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience these issues may have caused you.

However, as one of our valued guest, we would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you brilliantly in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us at your convenience, to to futher discuss these issues. Once again, thank you for your honest feedback.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed the stay in this hotel.
The view of the room was great, the executive lounge was very good and the staff was fantastic.
We loved the city and the hotel was also a very positive contributor.
Everything was fantastic.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jose O
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

This is supposed to be a 5 star hotel.

My room is very small even by NYC standards is $500 per night and has no room service or mini bar.

When I dialled room service they said they cancelled it 3 months ago

In a five star Marriott

Shame on you

My time staying in Marriott hotels is coming to an end I think.

If I wanted a small room with zero amenities in a good location I could have stayed at Hudson for 160 dollars.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank DavidBianchi
Good morning

On behalf of the Marriott East Side hotel I would like to thank you for your concerns regarding your recent visit to our hotel. It is extremely important for us to receive your feedback regarding our service and the quality of our hotel, as this enables us to identify and correct areas needing improvement.

From your feedback, it seems you were dissatisfied with the size of the room, the quality of the hotel, the pricing and the lack of amenities provided and for that we do apologize.

We are grateful for your patronage and suggestions and look forward in discussing them further with you at your convenience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us. Once again, thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and your honest feedback.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

This is our go to spot in NYC. It is near a few places that we like to visit before we go upstate. We usually have a basic room overlooking the street, but this time we were upgraded to a bigger room. The room did have more space, which is a luxury in NYC, and since we were not facing the street I thought it might be quieter than usual. NOT SO we were overlooking the craziness of ducts and mess in the ares below. There was some type of machine that came on periodically and made a screeching noise. I called at your service to see about changing rooms, AND SHE NEVER CALLED ME BACK; and we are platinum. I thought she would call back and say, sorry we're full your're stuck, but not even that. The concierge lounge is now called the M lounge & is on the 2nd floor. It is much larger than the old lounge. There is the main area with many tables and chairs and several tv's like the 16th floor, but there are also several smaller places, with counter seating and a back room with more tables and chairs, much bigger. The food selections have increased, and Margaret and Kenda are still taking good care of all the people; they sure have a wealth of info in their heads or can get it quickly, amazing ladies. We are still so grateful for their calm demeanor during hurricane Sandy, which we rode out in the lounge on the 16th floor. The staff are always cheerful and helpful, just would have been nice to hear back from them. The bottom line is the bed is the best, and that is always a great thing.
Will def. stay again next time, but will forgo the "upgrade"

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Kavala, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stayed there twice. The first time was three years ago. The review would be the same then. It is a big hotel in a very good location. The rooms are big with plenty of space, but you can hear the noise from the street unless you are on a high floor or in the back. The bed is EXCELLENT as in any Marriott I ever visited. The furniture look old and they actually are old but they are of good quality. The room was equipped with big flat screen tv, an iPod/iPhone docking station, a fridge (empty) and big writing desk. The bathroom is very big and they provide tons of towels every day plus amenities. There is plenty of storage space in the closet and drawers if you plan to stay for long. Big minus is the noisy air condition, but I did not use it and I suppose if I asked they would have fixed it. Another big minus is wifi, but this is general minus in NYC. It is very expensive even though the internet is cheap in the US. I am not saying that Internet is not provided, I am just saying it should either be free or at least cheaper (somewhere around 20$ a day). However they do provide free wifi access in the lobby. Breakfast is not good value for money but there are countless places nearby where breakfast is served. Just one block away there is also a 24/7 supermarket if you need something in the middle of the night (they also sell plug adapters).
In terms of location the hotel is close to a lot of things. Underground station is on 51st (less than a minute walk), Grand Central is 5 minutes walk, 5th Avenue is 6 minutes walk, as is Rockefeller Center and Times Square is 15-20 minutes walk. Central Park is about 20 minutes and the Museums about 30. But I would suggest a taxi. Taxis are relatively cheap.
In general I would recommend the hotel to a friend and I would go there again if the price was ok.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple