“Great stay in NY at New York Marriott East Side”

New York Marriott East Side
Ranked #278 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Pearland, Texas
“Great stay in NY at New York Marriott East Side”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

While on vacation with my niece and sister, we stayed here for 4 nights and were pleased for the most part.

We found everyone to be helpful from the time we checked in, concierge downstairs, valet, concierge on the executive level, security, etc. Maybe because my sister has elite status or whatever it is you get with Marriott??

The rooms were acceptable, but for $1500, they weren’t all that great. The room was tiny, drawers were broke in the dresser and when housekeeping finished cleaning/vacuuming smelled like a wet dog.

For $1500, could they could at least throw in internet instead of charging $16.95 a day.

The best advice we received on dining locations was from the valet. The concierge kept recommending $$$$$ restaurants and we were never really happy. Valet sent us to 2nd Avenue and we hit the jackpot of restaurants!

Like I said, we were pleased, but I’m not sure this would be my first choice next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sao Paulo
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I have arrived at 23pm, pretty hungry.
The hotel menu is very limited. I ordered a steak (medium) and it came really with a outer part burnt and raw inner very raw and cold mash potatoes.
My room was very noisy (#722) and I could hear every car passing by. Not a very resting night.
When I arrived, Sunday late night and dressing casually, the door man did not offer any support with my luggage. Later, dressed up with my suit, support was offered.
Because I frequently stay at the Waldorf Astoria that was full, I have chosen this neighboring hotel.
If you have other options, please consider.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank renatobraun
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We've been at New York Marriott East Side for new year's eve, and it has been a good choice, but there are better ones in the Big Apple. Located at 3rd Av with 50th, it is nicely located, if you like to walk (16 blocks till Times Square or Central Park). Common areas are good, and service efficacious. Staff is not friendly and this is a reason to think twice before coming back. I expecteded a better room quality overall (bed, bathroom were good, but some works at walls and ceiling were needed). Overall, at the same price, Affinia, Hilton or Paramount are better options due to location and staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Miguel2770
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I have stayed here twice, most recently in November 2012.
We arrived in the evening time, on Thanksgiving Day. We were immediately greeted by one of the friendly bellhops and check-in was seamless. Our bags were brought to our room for us and we were told that they had a Thanksgiving Buffet in the dining room if we'd like to avail of it, unfortunately we were exhausted so we went straight to bed!
The rooms were lovely, very comfortable beds, nice and bright during the day and it had blackout blinds which were great for getting to sleep.
We didn't have breakfast in the hotel any morning, preferring to go to Pershing Square by Grand Central (try it, it's amazing!) but we did dine there two evenings during our stay and the food and service were great.
I would definitely consider staying here again on my next trip to New York!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Vasteras, Sweden
Reviewed June 6, 2013

As a frequent traveller (in wheelchair) to New York City I have been staying at quite a few hotels in Midtown, all with "ok" (partial) accessibility. The most common thing is heavy entrance doors that is difficult to open when you are in the wheelchair and in the rooms you will find tiny, tiny bathrooms with a bathtub that is hard to climb in to.

I stayed at Marriott East Side in early March 2013 and was very happy and surprised when I noticed how wheelchair friendly the hotel really is!

There is a smart placed wheelchair ramp outside to the right side of the entrance and automatic door openers are placed at the top of the ramp/by the doors inside the lobby.

The room I stayed in (1431) is a nice room with a spacious bathroom where you will find a lowered WC, sink and shower head. Handrails are mounted on the walls both by the WC and in the shower.

It will be my pleasure to recommend Marriott East Side to people who will need a wheelchair friendly accommodation in Manhattan.

Marriott East Side will be my obvious choice when I travel to New York City in the future!

Room Tip: If you need a wheelchair friendly room, ask for room 1341.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Arrived for a weeks stay which was booked through Virgin Holidays - did we receive a warm welcome no we did not!!! When front of house staff were given the necessary paper work to check in we were informed that there was no booking for us as a confirmation number was missing from our paper work - no confirmation number no booking no room! Now did they seriously think we would travel thousands of miles to book into their hotel with forged paper work - well they obviously did - they were unhelpful beyond belief. We have been visiting the USA for the last 16 years and have NEVER been treated the way we were at this hotel - we had to pay again for a hotel room which we had already paid for or would have been out on the street - no room for us at the inn! - to us it didn't matter at that time who was at fault Virgin or Marriott but where was their customer care sadly nowhere to be seen. It took us that afternoon and until 6 pm the next evening before WE sorted it out without assistance from Marriott staff - our holiday was ruined as we were put through so much stress - in fact we couldn't wait to come home. As for the rooms - dark (needed the lights on during the day) dated - but clean. The Reservations Manager did call our room to say sorry for the mix up and sent up wine and cheese ........... sorry too little too late ........ will never stay at a Marriott again!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mary F
Hercules, California
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Beautiful and clean hotel in a great location. Our room was pretty spacious in comparison to other NYC hotels I have stayed in. Beds were comfortable but definitely need to upgrade the pillows! Room service was always quick and make sure to take advantage of the computers in the lobby to print your boarding passes ahead of time. Hotel is accessible to many attractions with a Duane Reade 2 blocks away to buy necessities and not get over charged at the downstairs gift shop. My only complaint was the the unwelcome we received at check in. No smile or hello just "name? We need a credit card, here's your key, the elevators are over there." Very disappointing for a hotel of a high status in Manhattan! The lady who helped us the night before leaving was very pleasant and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple