“Showing some age”

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego
“Showing some age”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott East Side for 5 nights in April. The lobby is really nice, but the rooms are showing some wear and tear. Snags in the carpet, worn window coverings, sort of tired looking bathroom. The bed was very comfy. We chose this hotel for it's location, as we'd stayed there before. The location is excellent. Just 2 blocks from Times Square and Rockefeller Center. The front desk staff were ok. Not hugely friendly, and the doormen weren't overly friendly either. We aren't sure if we'll stay at the East Side again. Not because of the hotel, but we want to stay in a different neighborhood

Room Tip: If you can get a corner room, the views are great.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cmksandiego

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have stayed at the Marriott East Side a few times now, and each time I am impressed with the staff. From the doormen to the concierge floor, the staff are friendly and helpful. You can't do much better for location - Lexington and 49th make walking to Times Square, the Park, shops, etc. a breeze. The gym requires a weird elevator change on the 32nd floor, but it is well kept and has good machines and free weights. It is certainly adequate for a few days. The lovely lady who cleans the gym is terrific and has a smile that will start your day off right. If you forget headphones, no worries as they provide them in the gym so you can watch TV on the cardio machines. The rooms are fairly typical Marriott rooms. No frills, but the beds are great and the rooms are clean and well kept. No complaints for this consistently excellent property.

Room Tip: Street noise is always an issue in NYC, so the higher up you are, the better. There are 2 elevator b...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jenntabb
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is an excellent hotel, in the heart of the very vibrant East Side. The room was surprisingly comfortable and roomy, for a New York hotel. (I had two double beds to myself.) And the hotel building, which dates back to the 1920s, but is very modern inside, is totally charming. Unfortunately, I have to give them a one-star decrement, for two reasons. First, a maintenance request (drainage problems, sink and tub) I made on the first morning of a three-night stay apparently went unheeded. And, please, $16.95 for in-room Wi-Fi? At these prices, they should be paying you.

But I'd definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: My room was on an airshaft. Pretty dismal view--but it almost totally cut out street noise.
Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was in NYC for business and they selected this hotel for us. Looking for convenient, updated, clean and friendly. Got all of that. About 7 blocks off Times Square, 3 from the UN and 4 from Grand Central. No hassles whatsoever. The room was VERY well appointed and clean. I didn't try their bar or restaurant but for an accomodation, it was excellent. When i go back to NYC, I will try them first.

Room Tip: As with many NYC hotels, you can easily get a room with a terrible view...looking out at other build...
Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My parents and I stayed at the East Side Marriott for four nights in late April 2013. It's within the price range you'd expect for a hotel of that type in Manhattan, but it still felt expensive. I usually stay at Sofitel when I visit NYC but they could not accomodate 3 people in the same room, so I had to look eslewhere.

The room was clean and comfortable but the screen thing on the radiator was busted.

The room was quiet, we could not hear the other guests on our floor, but we could hear everything that was going on outside and I think our room was close to a loading area because we could hear trucks coming in very early in the morning.

The location is great, close to MoMA, Bryant Park, the Empire State Building and two blocks from a subways station if you want to get off the beaten path.

WiFi is $16.95 a day...

I don't know if I'd recommend the hotel but I would not discourage anyone to stay there either. We were fairly satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Rutland, Vermont
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We came to the Marriott to celebrate my mothers bday for a girls weekend in NYC. The staff was excellent everyone was very attentive and we had an amazing time. It is definitely worth paying a little extra for the quality of what we got!

• Stayed May 2013
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Depending on the time of year, hotels can be quite expensive in Midtown. Managed to get a better rate than other comparable offerings in the area.

Beds were comfortable and managed to survive a short stay (3 nights) considering an eight hour differential in time zones.

They also did not charge for me to receive a couple of items from the mail room. This is a service that I would expect from a hotel at this level. I was charged at the Grand Hyatt New York which I will never stay at again because of the charge.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business