“MAGNIFANT Hotel and staff”

New York Marriott East Side
Ranked #285 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Nassau, New Providence Island
“MAGNIFANT Hotel and staff”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

MAGNIFICANT Hotel!!!
I communicated with the General Manager, Chris Hosmer and the Concierge, Harriett Goldberg by email before my arrival. They each were very responsive with the Marriott excellence I have come to expect over the last 29 years. When my fiancée and I arrived, we were greeted by none other than the GM himself, who was out on the street, welcoming guests. I don’t often see this and right away I knew this guy was the best. He warmly greeted us, remembered us and made sure we were taken care of at the front desk. Jimmy (I think) was the bellman and he took our many many (too many) suitcases and also made us feel at home.

Later on, we met Calvin in the Concierge Lounge, who had remembered us (I guess from an email from the GM). Chris told me about you and your fiancée. Calvin was awesome and treated all the guests like royalty, going the extra mile to make sure they had the very best he could offer.

Later that day I caught the GM helping rearrange the chairs in the Concierge Lounge and said to myself, “A hands-on manager –THEY are the best of the best. NOW I know why these employees are even above the normal Marriott Excellence”. He gets out of his office to mingle and be a part of the team.

Last night we came into the lobby and were greeted by Moet Chandon Champagne and small French Macaroons. FIRST CLASS!!! This really made us take even deeper notice of the class of this hotel.

We will be here for a week and are very glad we chose this hotel. Previous trips to NYC have included the Marquis, Financial Center (now called Downtown), Word Trade Center, Fairfield Inn 5th Avenue, Residence Inn Times Square, Courtyard Jersey City. I think this will now be our first choice for all of our next visits to the city we love New York!

Room Tip: Corner Rooms are the best
1 Thank By C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Nice hotel with very good service. The hotel was full and the lobby had a chocolate fountain with fruit dipped for guests. They also had Christmas characters in dress in the lobby for pictures with guests children. Ate breakfast at 525 Lex several times which was very good all three times. Location is good, easy access to midtown, Central Park and other attractions. I do receommend this hotel. If you get a room with a window on Lexington Ave, expect noise from the street. You can hear it in your room. If you need a very quiet room, get one with no street view.

Room Tip: Rooms are quieter if you do not have a street view.
1 Thank mcbearcatfan
Austin, TX
Reviewed December 26, 2012

A second visit this year was just as good. What I like about this hotel is that it has a warm intimate feel and the service is very good. It is a pre-war building that has been well-maintained. great location for trains. Christmas is crazy busy in NYC and this place makes for a nice retreat!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank longtimeresident
albany
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Hotel was very nice and in a great convenient neighborhood. The rooms were clean and comfortable just like any Marriott. Only problem was the elevators. Half the time only one or two were functional. This left my family of 4 deciding to climb 12 flights if stairs up and down rather than wait the 5-10 minutes for an elevator with enough room for us. We didn't mind the exercise but my kids complained a bit. Would definitely stay here again. Got a fantastic rate for the days dec 20-24.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank melinda s
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

we have traveled to NYC many times and understand that it always chaotic at Christmas.Hotel was full to overflowing.
But the service was fine and attentive.Had a quiet room (ask for courtyard side not Lexington ave) Elevators
are small and only go up so far. Three different elevators are needed to get to the gym on the 36th floor.
The gym does have views. overall nice hotel in a really GREAT location.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Love this hotel. It is not fancy smancy, but it is just good quality and impecable service. Gym was clean and cool. Treadmills all worked and each had its own TV. If I recall correctly, they even had BRAVO (yes I watch the housewives, they are my "twinkies") to contrast with the WSJ. I will definitely stay there again!!

Room Tip: Well built hotel so seems all rooms quiet. Location is great too....
1 Thank Audreynherboys
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 20, 2012

When we checked in, our room requirements, although noted on the reservation were not available. My husband was not coming in for several hours and they refused to check me and my children in when we arrived because my last name was different from his although I presented a credit card with the same account as my husbands. Since he travels and we have been married for 20+ years, I have checked in many times without him present but not at this hotel. I understand security however I presented ID which should have satisfied the requirement. We had three children with us and wanted connecting rooms. Instead, we got two rooms on the same floor located on opposite ends of the building. One of the rooms was located next to the elevator which we specifically requested a quiet room away from the elevator which was also noted on the reservation. The room was extremely noisy with the noise from the elevator shaft and guests getting off and on the elevator. The heater also did not function properly. The room would be extremely hot and then get extremely cold. The toilet also would fill intermittently due to a leaky valve in the tank. Eventually, I had to close the bathroom door to eliminate the noise.
When we went to get our car from the valet, they told us it would be 15 minutes instead we waited an hour and were told ever ten minutes that they lost our car. When the car arrived, it was warm inside and a different radio station other than what was programmed was playing indicating that someone had been using the car for awhile.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family