“Good location, comfortable.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
various
“Good location, comfortable.”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Well located and rooms functional but a little small, well equipped. I would echo other comments about wifi being expensive. It really is about time wifi was included in the price, for me it is a choice maker. When I have a choice I will go to a hotel with free wifi, not one that you pay $16+. Breakfast and bar also very pricey but this is NY.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We arrived in NYC from Seattle on 11/01 for a 4 night stay centered around my wife running in the NYC marathon. Given the circumstances of everything that was happening due to the storm, I cannot say enough good things about our experience. The staff at check-in were friendly and efficient. I asked about my room options and was given several diferent choices. Jimmy, from the bell staff recommended a room that was away from the street noise. We were very happy with his recommendation. Throughout the stay, Jimmy knew us by name and was very helpful with restaurant recommendations and he arranged for a very reasonably priced private car to take us to JFK for our return home. We took the time to talk with most of the staff that we came in contact with and nearly every person was either directly or indirectly seriously impacted by the storm yet they had smiles on their faces and were genuinely interested in making sure that we were taken care of. The hotel location is perfect for a family vacation. We ate at several small diners and restaurants in walking distance (good food at a reasonable price). We did not have any meals in the hotel simply because we like to get out and see the city. Times Square, shopping, MOMA, Rockefeller Center are all within easy walking distance. The Concierge lounge was perfect for a quick snack and drink. Our room had a small refridg in it which was used for drinks and leftovers. Even though the marathon was cancelled (good decision but should have been canceled much earlier), this trip reinforced our belief that New York City and it's people are the greatest in the world. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room either up high or away from the street noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
new orleans
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I got a very good AAA rate for this hotel. I stayed overnight. It was the last night of a weekend trip in Connecticut and I wanted to stay in the city for a night. Hotel is in a very good location-close to Grand Central and also 5th Ave shopping. Check-in was pretty smooth especially since it was very crowded. The room was well appointed and bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was very small. The door banged into the toilet if you tried to open it all the way, However the shower had very good water pressure and lots of hot water!! No complimentary Wi-Fi in the room which is ridiculous.
My biggest complaint was that the front desk was supposed to have a town car to take me to the airport at 6:30 pm Monday. I went out to look for my car and there was no bellman around and my towncar wasn't there! Luckily another car was in the taxi cue and did not have a fare so he took me to airport. I had to handle all of this because the bellman was MIA.
The staff was not very happy, helpful or eager to please. They had that New York-you're lucky to be here attitude which didn't especially please me.
I would stay again if the rate was right but there are certainly other places in NYC that I have stayed and received better service!

Room Tip: If city noise bothers you get a high floor. I had room on 4th floor but I like city noise so it was...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank skippy68
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Two issues that tell you all you need to know about this hotel

1. Daily internet access 16.95
2. Mini bar empty - small bottle of mineral water 12.95. Told room service I would complain. "Do what you need to do".

Possibly one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
1 Thank James K
New York, NY
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We recently found ourselves at this hotel for one night during Hurricane Sandy. We had two connecting standard size rooms. These are very small rooms, with very small bathrooms. However, everything did work and the beds were perfectly comfortable. The breakfast buffet at $35/head was a total rip-off -- the scrambled eggs, for example, were cold. The concierge was useless. I also hate that neighborhood. On a more positive note, I do have to say that the staff (other than that concierge) is very friendly and nice.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are very small.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed here overnight while on business. Checkin was smooth and easy. My room was on the backside of the hotel and away from the elevators. It was well appointed with a desk, casual chair, large sized flat screen TV and a king bed. The bed had very nice comfortable linens. Bathroom was very clean with a Kohler showerhead and an ample supply of towels. Room was quiet at night and early morning which can be a challenge in NY. Doormen are quick to get cabs and helpful with bags. This hotel lobby was a zoo when I returned from dinner as it looked like a bus tour had booked the hotel. Hopefully not the norm.

NYC
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed for two nights while we were evacuated from our downtown NYC apartment. We could not have had a smaller, darker, noisier and frankly dirtier room. Maybe all of that is typical of the very old, big Manhattan hotels. But I don't know why a hotel that charges $500+ for a tiny (they call it 'cozy') room does not ever dust the furniture, or vacuum that very old carpet. On the more positive side, very decent bedding and once you pay for the wifi you can connect 6 different machines. Most employees are very efficient and friendly. Just like a good business hotel there are electrical outlets everywhere. And if you ask for something you get a response.

Room Tip: all the rooms have small windows which are also very drafty and all the street noise comes through
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family