“Great customer service, great stay”

New York Marriott East Side
Ranked #278 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have to admit, midtown is not my favorite area of NYC so I wasn't so sure about this but my experience was really great.
First, major points for having a room available for a very early check in. I took a red-eye in so I figured I'd have to drop my bags off and wait several hours before I got a room, but nope, the Marriott had one ready for me. That made my whole day. The front desk staff was super polite and helpful every time I needed them. Same goes for the bellman, concierge etc. Customer service here was top notch the entire time, not one complaint. Also, no surprise fees or charges, everything here was above board.
The room itself was nice, I know some others have said small - but for NYC I thought it was actually pretty good sized. Cleaning staff did a great job and room was always in good shape when we returned to it. My only complaints are that the bed was not very comfortable and our room was NOISY. I think it was because we were right next to the maid closet but we could hear door slamming, a hammering noise etc. Also, I recommend requesting a higher floor if you are bothered by traffic noise. I'm a city mouse so it actually helps me sleep, but it was definitely audible from our 6th Fl room.
If you want to stay in Midtown - this is a great option. They take good care of you.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nolazona
There are newer reviews for New York Marriott East Side

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I really want to like this hotel because it is wonderfully centrally located midtown, contains great history (its exterior having been a subject in paintings by Georgia O'Keefe) and is part of the Marriott brand. The rooms and elevators are typical NYC size/style - Not big. Most rooms do not have a view except for looking into the room of the building across the way. The concierage desk is incompetent (They could not answer any of my questions accurately). The first floor bar is generic. My second recent trip was as a Marriott reward member and specifically chosen for those perks but guess what - The lounge here is closed weekends! The front desk staff were pleasant, but always very busy/understaffed with long lines for checking in/out. Rooms were clean, but public areas not as much. Both visits were for special occasions (birthday and anniversary), neither which were acknowledged. The hotel is so average and underwhelming would only return if could obtain a special rate.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank AnnCan_8
Reviewed September 17, 2012

With friends in NYC, we frequently visit them. Deciding we could no longer spend sleepless nights on their pull-out sofa, we splurged for a hotel this time. I love the Marriott brand for their service and consistency. The hotel room was cozy (read: small), but it's NYC. Lexington was a great spot with Central Park blocks north and Grand Central Station just down Lexington. We walked down to 30th for brunch at Penelope too. I would stay here again if the price was reasonable.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank lovetotravelle
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Positive experience. The room was very spacious, clean, great beds, comfy pillows, wonderful shower head. Some important things to mention, NO free Internet in the rooms. $16.99 for 12 hours is the rate. The lobby is very spacious and glamorous, but no computers for guests use. However, there is wifi public access in the lobby. The bathroom is small, clean, nice counter space. The soda machines are located on floors 5, 9 & 16. The hotel is very quiet in terms of people. However, the a/c & toilet is very loud, but not a big deal. Our overall experience was wonderful. It's a nice hotel, but they do not offer much for amenities considering how pricey it is and it's a marriottt. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times for pleasure & business in the past few years. In fact, I stayed there a year ago this month and have never written a review...so I thought it was time. The superb location, friendly bellman, front desk attendants, concierge and housekeeping staff all do their job with perfection. I have stayed at several hotels in NYC before, but this one just has it all. It's really that simple. On my last visit, my stay was made extra special by the professional and kind service given to me by Mariam. She is a total sweetheart. The hotel is safe and secure. So, if you're a woman traveling alone, you're covered. The hotel's location provides easy walking to many destinations that everyone wants to visit while savoring the amenities in beautiful NYC.

Room Tip: I love the upper rooms on the south side that face the Chrysler Building.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ABR1976
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed here for one night while in town for a concert; it is our second stay at the Marriott East Side. It is a convenient location. The rooms are comfortable and clean. But the best thing was that my husband happened to mention when checking in that it was our anniversary, and when we got to our room after the concert we were surprised to find a bottle of wine chilling on ice and a small cheese and fruit plate. It was touching!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is a superb hotel; great people; nice club level room; and fantastic location. I was bowled over by the experience and will be back! Every aspect of this hotel works. i enjoyed banter with the porters and the bar/restaurant staff could not do enough.

Room Tip: the rooms over Lex are very good.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business