“A Great Bargain in NYC”

Ranked #384 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Akron, Ohio, United States
“A Great Bargain in NYC”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

When I found a room for $230.00 a night in a great location in Manhattan I was skeptical. But I booked it anyway and I think I just found my new place in NYC. Was it a fabulous hotel? No. But our room was clean, the bathroom modern and the staff was very kind to us. The bar was actually kind of hip. Very dark and very Mad Men. The bartender was very attentive to my wife when she stopped in for a glass of wine and she told me when she came to the room what a perfect gentleman he was and what a lovely time she had. It is a short walk to Grand Central and the Empire State Bldg. So yes, if you are on a budget I would recommend the Jolly. Besides, it's kind of cool to say to a cab driver, "take me to the Jolly".

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steve R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Odenton, Maryland
Reviewed May 14, 2014

The most appealing thing about this hotel is the location. It's right in the middle of Manhattan. Walking distance from everything. It is clean and the service is good. The rooms are a decent size. The decor is really old. The furniture is old. The bathrooms are updated and clean. They keep things clean. It wasn't the best but we didn't need that. Dont expect a pool or restaurant lobby. It was a clean place to stay while we visited New York. Decidedly average. Oh and most importantly, I didn't see any bugs while I was there.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank talia c
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We do many events in NYC at different hotels and locations; however, we may have found the right fit with Jolly Madison. The rooms for our event were perfect with ample room for breakfast, lunch, and networking breaks. The staff members were incredibly helpful and they were as detailed with the setup as we were (which is a first). They were also available throughout the day in case anything was needed. Overall, it was a great experience working with them and we look forward to coming back again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Bergen County, NJ
Reviewed May 9, 2014

This hotel is easily reached form both Port Authority Bus Station, and Grand Central Terminal, making it easy to get there from either Newark or JFK airports. Close to Times Square. Rooms are small but adequate, clean and quiet! Bath had tub/shower. They have a restaurant for breakfast, but we didn't go there, better deal across the street at diner. Bed was very comfortable, but pillows are weird, like they're filled with shredded foam. AC/Heat was also a little funky.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Deciding to stay in a different part of Manhattan than prior trips was an experience. Our twin room(1170) was perfectly adequate room-wise, with a large bathroom. If you like soft beds and soft pillows, this is your dream. The curtains had seen better days, but who stays in the room to look at the curtains?? I do think in New York you're going to need earplugs to sleep because no matter what floor, you will still hear sirens, etc.
On a day when we had been shopping even though it poured all day, I returned to the hotel cold wet and tired, with large shopping bags, and asked the reception lady to call our room so my companion would have the door open. She would not help me at all, and just said that "the house phone is over there". It wouldn't have taken her any time or trouble to do this one small thing; and it soured my opinion of a hotel that I thought was fine to that point. Also, don't bother with the $23 buffet breakfast-walk about 100 ft to the Moonstruck Café on the corner(from 6.30am) and eat there. Big points to the doormen and security guys-very helpful. No free Wi-Fi, and you have to pay a minimum of $3.95 to access the internet in the foyer. I looked in on the Whaler Bar(at the back of the foyer to the left) on several days, and never saw anyone in there.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Minnesota
Reviewed April 29, 2014

My travel group (of 4 women) picked the Jolly Madison based on a decent location and the price. It was the cheaper of the hotels in the midtown part of Manhattan. Though the hotel wasn't necessarily the cleanest or most updated, it was comfortable. The rooms were much bigger than I was expecting. We arrived via a shuttle to Grand Central Station and walked the 4 blocks to the hotel. (We jumped on a shuttle service that was no way affiliated with the hotel and regretted the ride) We weren't able to check in but the concierge stored our bags for us and the front desk suggested we grab lunch at the end of the block at the Moonstruck Cafe. We arrived back later that night and there was some mix up with our booking but was easily resolved by upgrading our rooms at no extra cost from twin beds to doubles in one room and a king suite in the other. Our only request we made was that the rooms be relatively close. We were all on the same floor. Being that we weren't used to city noises, we could definitely hear all of the sirens, horns and trucks driving by most of the night. We came prepared though with earplugs. The first night was the worst but every night after we had been so tired from touring the city that none of us heard noise. One day we were surprised that a parade was staging right outside our hotel. We opened our hotel windows and were listening to the marching bands from a few stories up.

The staff was very knowledgeable about restaurants, transportation and advice on what to see and how long to expect waits and distances to sights. We weren't looking for any sort of perks to the room. We were mostly there to just sleep and shower. We appreciated the bag drop and the location above all else. The beds were very firm and there wasn't much for actual bedding but there were extra blankets in our closet. We didn't use the TV or the mini fridge.

On our departure the concierge arranged for us to take a town car to the airport for $78 (we paid $16pp on the crappy shuttle in to the city so we were more than willing to take a nice car ride for $20pp) When we arrived back at the hotel to retrieve our luggage, we had a limo waiting instead. We were pretty excited to ride in style for the same price of a town car. I really felt like the staff took care of us while we stayed. When it comes to just needing a place to sleep and feel like you are in a secure and friendly place, this was totally worth the price.

Room Tip: The street noise was easily heard from the 4th floor but the rooms had good sized bathrooms and the...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank travels_with_elle
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I will start by saying the hotel was located in a nice location, we were close to everything. The bad was they have the hardest beds I have ever slept on. I have stayed at a super 8 with nicer beds. The TV in the room looked like it was 20 years old. The picture was so bad you couldn't even watch it. It was 40 degrees outside and we had to have the a/c on high in the room because the hotel was so hot. The service wasn't great, everybody seemed to have an attitude. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody. I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple