NH New York Jolly Madison Towers
Ranked #391 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Got into NY at 1am for a 3 day business trip and headed for Jolly Madison!! I seriously think they should consider a name change and LEAVE OUT "JOLLY"!! I booked a 'run of the house' room from "Book It. com. Should have been called "Run from the house!" :-) I felt as though I had retreated into a London hotel in the 1800's with wall paper and grandmother's furniture (well they didn't have 20" large tube televisions at that time, but you get the drift!). The bathroom was probably the best part of the room! The aircondition/heat kept tripping and I got up every two hours. I didn't bother to ask for a change, because I overheard a conversation with another guest and they claimed to be booked, so no changes could have been made. I guess next time I'll have to fork out about $400 to get a decent hotel in NY.

Room Tip: Do not book a "Run of the House" room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank VenusOnthebeach
Write a ReviewReviews (2,761)

Reviewed November 8, 2012

these guys lied to me about having availability. when i arrived at the hotel, the operator who actually lied to me on the phone told me that there was no availability on one of the days i specifically requested. the staff is unhelpful and defensive. false advertising about free wifi. the rooms are tiny as well. stay away...there are way better places than this hell hole for cheaper. worst of all, cleanliness was horrible as i found dirty sheets and i think i got a bug bite. i looked on the internet and someone else complained of bedbugs too! disgusting and infuriating...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Be warned, the new rooms you see in the pictures are not where you will stay unless you pay more! You will be put in the old and depressing rooms! We arrived in New York excited and looking forward to starting out trip but we were extremely disappointed when we arrived at this outdated and frankly miserable hotel. This hotel does New York no justice! The reception staff were rude and standoffish and were in no way prepared to upgrade our room despite it being my birthday and having submitted a request prior to arriving. We went up to our room to find that we could barely fit ourselves and our luggage in the room let alone open our suitcases to unpack. We were in shock at what we had arrived to. The room was extremely outdated with a massive stain on the carpet. There was no way we could stay in this room, so we returned to reception to request a bigger room which we should have been granted in the first place. One particular member of staff was not sympathetic at all and offered us one of the newer rooms at a premium of $50 per day which we thought was absolutely ridiculous having already paid a fortune for this disappointment of a hotel. My partner then decided to speak to a senior member of staff as he had received email confirmation that we would receive some sort of upgrade. After much persuasion we were only put in a slightly bigger room which again we hated. The only nice thing about the room was the bathroom, entering the room and the bathroom were like entering two different eras. We felt very depressed in this room and would rather have returned back home, however we just made the best of a very bad situation. The only polite members of staff were the doorman, the bellman and a few people at reception. The cleaners were also nice and kept our room clean. The location was the only other decent thing about this hotel as were situated only a few blocks from times square and from the empire state building so we found walking to places very easy. Despite the good location, we would rather have stayed somewhere which was further away then here. There is nothing much more to say about this hotel apart from do not go here! If you want a terrible memory of New York then stay here but if you want to remember the good things about New York then book in advance and get a good deal at a nicer hotel. This hotel should be shut down! Overall New York is expensive but a memorable city.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RVVH
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Tiny room, closet door wouldn't open since bed in the way, no coffee in room, WIFI cost extra, none of the amenities I'm used to in 2½ star hotels, which I always stay in.
Find someplace else as there are lots of hotels in the area, and some cheaper.
No pool, and fitness center was chained closed at 9 am when I tried it.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed here because it was one of the better deals we were able to find for a last minute stay in the city with friends. Looking at some of the pictures from other travelers, I think there must be some rooms that have been renovated, but both of the rooms that we booked were horribly outdated and stuffy. "Cozy" would be an understatement. There was hardly room for us to walk around the bed. The bed was in dire need of a new mattress and there were stains all over the carpet. The bed coverings really could use some updating as well. The air conditioner didn't work in either of the rooms we booked, and in the one I was in it rattled louder and louder as the night went on. I finally just turned it off and figured I'd crack the window as far as it'd let me - turns out, the windows open up all the way. It was a great relief for us because of how hot it was in the room, but I can see that being a huge safety issue for anyone with children (we were on a high floor).

Ironically, the bathroom looked like it had been renovated recently. It was very nice and they made good use of the space in there. The lobby was the nicest part of the hotel - pretty deceiving since it was a pretty big let-down when we opened the door to our room.

The continental breakfast wasn't free, either.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor. Be careful if you have kids - the windows open up all the way...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SarahB0Barah
Reviewed October 14, 2012

found hotel staff not very helpfull on reception desk amenties not as listed no gym or swimming pool hotel very dated and needs a good deep clean in some areas rooms very small and cold towels not changed One day returned to find only two sheets on bed so was cold through night.
novatel in times square loads better stayed there a few years ago

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank andrew w
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This was my 5th visit to NYC in the past 4 years. I have never stayed in the same hotel each time. I booked this hotel on Expedia and then started reading comments on line after I had completed the booking. Speaking from my somewhat limited experience, I know that one cannot expect a large room in NYC. Neither can one expect a 5 star hotel for $200 a night either. This is NY. In the past I have paid as much as $700 a night and as little as $150. Not sure what the cost of this hotel was because it was part of a package but think it was somewhere around $160 a night.

After reading some of the reviews, I thought I may have made a mistake but I now know that I didn't.

This location is perfect. Ten minute walk to Times Square, 3 minutes to the Empire State Building and it is only 1 block from 5th Avenue.

Our group had 2 rooms booked. They were supposed to each have a King bed. One did and the otherone didn't. The one that didn't though was huge. The one that had the king bed was also very large too. For a mid priced hotel - the rooms were very big, very clean and even had a mini bar, two telephones and 3 hair dryers. (Don't think that 3 hairdryers are normal though) Iron and ironing board were also included as were nice toiletries. Unfortunately there wasn't a coffee maker in the room though but that would be the ONLY thing that wasn't in the room.

You do have to pay for internet access which I hate (but that is common in NYC hotels).

The good and the bad:

Good:
Location
Cleanliness
Concierge - (Jose and Roy)
Safe
Great breakfast place accross the St. (Moonstruck)
Convenience store and liquor store 30 seconds away.
rooms are clean and have been updated. Surpised that the TVs aren't flat screens but then again, if you are going to New York, you probably aren't going there to watch TV.
Lots of cool places to eat near by.
Did I mention Jose and Roy?

Bad:
Have to pay for internet
No resteraunt in the hotel - but who cares right?

I didn't see all the roms in the hotel but can only comment on the rooms I saw. This is a great place. I wil stay there again when I go there next.

Room Tip: 408 and 403 are great rooms. The bellhops/concierge people are awesome.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple