“Perfect Place for Columbus Day weekend”

NH New York Jolly Madison Towers
Ranked #384 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Halifax, Canada
“Perfect Place for Columbus Day weekend”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This was my 5th visit to NYC in the past 4 years. I have never stayed in the same hotel each time. I booked this hotel on Expedia and then started reading comments on line after I had completed the booking. Speaking from my somewhat limited experience, I know that one cannot expect a large room in NYC. Neither can one expect a 5 star hotel for $200 a night either. This is NY. In the past I have paid as much as $700 a night and as little as $150. Not sure what the cost of this hotel was because it was part of a package but think it was somewhere around $160 a night.

After reading some of the reviews, I thought I may have made a mistake but I now know that I didn't.

This location is perfect. Ten minute walk to Times Square, 3 minutes to the Empire State Building and it is only 1 block from 5th Avenue.

Our group had 2 rooms booked. They were supposed to each have a King bed. One did and the otherone didn't. The one that didn't though was huge. The one that had the king bed was also very large too. For a mid priced hotel - the rooms were very big, very clean and even had a mini bar, two telephones and 3 hair dryers. (Don't think that 3 hairdryers are normal though) Iron and ironing board were also included as were nice toiletries. Unfortunately there wasn't a coffee maker in the room though but that would be the ONLY thing that wasn't in the room.

You do have to pay for internet access which I hate (but that is common in NYC hotels).

The good and the bad:

Good:
Location
Cleanliness
Concierge - (Jose and Roy)
Safe
Great breakfast place accross the St. (Moonstruck)
Convenience store and liquor store 30 seconds away.
rooms are clean and have been updated. Surpised that the TVs aren't flat screens but then again, if you are going to New York, you probably aren't going there to watch TV.
Lots of cool places to eat near by.
Did I mention Jose and Roy?

Bad:
Have to pay for internet
No resteraunt in the hotel - but who cares right?

I didn't see all the roms in the hotel but can only comment on the rooms I saw. This is a great place. I wil stay there again when I go there next.

Room Tip: 408 and 403 are great rooms. The bellhops/concierge people are awesome.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Geoffpsail

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed in New York many times and this has been by far my worst experience. The rooms are tired and worn and in need of a deep clean. On arrival we were greeted by a very sullen and unsmiling group of men on reception who appeared uninterested in their work and guests. The only saving grace are the doormen and the maids who do their best to make an old and unmaintained hotel palatable. Would not recommend the hotel or the NH Group on my experience

Stayed September 2012

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel is close to everything. A short walk will have you at the Empire State Building, Grand Central Station or even Times Square and there are plenty of quality dining options just out the door. The rooms are clean and comfortable and should anything not work (like the hairdryer) the hotel is on it straight away and it is fixed or replace immediately. From the Reception staff to the Porters to the hotel Cleaners the service is brilliant and always friendly. I am already planning my next trip to the States and definitely hope to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Anrol01
Austin
Reviewed September 24, 2012

After literally being electrocuted in a different hotel, I checked out and booked us at the Madison Towers. It was delightful. Great location near Bryant Park and Grand Central Station, lovely marble lobby and bathrooms, and very pleasant hotel staff. Jose, our bellman, kept us in stitches until the cab showed up.

The only reason this is not a perfect score is the size of the standard rooms (quite small, but then again, this IS New York), and our lack of any kind of view. Still, I will have this place at the top of my list on my next visit to the city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank FamousOriginalBob
Parker, Colorado
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Selected the Jolly Madison due to it's location for a business trip. The hotel itself was pretty good but not sure if it was worth the rate. I was there on September 12th and suspect the hotels raised rates for travelers coming in for 9/11 events. They upgraded me to a deluxe room which was fairly large. Very European breakfast that, I felt, was fairly overpriced.

Room Tip: My room had a view of the next building. There was an alarm, perhaps from a parking garage, that wen...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank monkeygurly
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the Jolly Madison Towers hotel in a Deluxe room for 7 nights and we couldn't have wished for better. Our flight to New York landed early, and we got to the hotel around 1 o clock. although check in time was 2pm, the staff let us go to our room early. They were very friendly when we arrived, asking about our flight and telling us about all of the different things to do and see. They phoned us once during the week to ask us if we needed any help with any booking or anything, and to make sure we were enjoying our stay, which was wonderful. The room was beautiful and clean, much better than I expected after reading some reviews. Definitely worth the money we paid.
The hotel is in a brilliant location, a 5 minutes walk from times square and 15 minutes walk from central park, so couldn't ask for better location, and near to lots of places to eat.
The staff were friendly when we were leaving, asking if we enjoyed our stay and helping us with our cases to our taxi.
Couldn't have asked for a better stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dizzyblonde12321
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed at the Jolly Madison Towers in February 2012 for 6days with my boyfriend.
We went to New York for the typical sight seeing, shopping, lively and busy holiday.
The Jolly Madison is a really lovely hotel, it is in a great location, we walked to Grand Central Station which is a 10 minute walk. You could walk to Times square whihc is a 15minute walk and 5th Avenue which is a 10minute walk, so it really is a good location for everything.

The rooms are very spacious, we had a king size bed which was really nice, it was very clean and tidy in our room. We had the room cleaned every day, and they changed the sheets every other day, you can put the door sign on whether you want your room cleaned or not.
The bathroom was really clean, and really modern and lovely with marble floor and tiles. We had clean towels everyday which was amazing.

We found the hotel staff very helpful, in telling us info about New York, taxi's, booking things up. When we checked out we were able to leave our suitcases in a store room in the reception that the porter did for us so we were very assured they would be safe as we had a late afternoon flight.

We booked through BA and got a very good deal with flights and hotel so I would say it was very cheap.

I would definately stay here again and reccomend to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Empire State Building, we had a room with this view and was amazing to look at...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple