“Amazing hotel with a spacious room”

Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #68 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Durham, North Carolina
“Amazing hotel with a spacious room”
Reviewed September 4, 2010

I was excited by the other reviews and had no disappointment from my trip. I told my friend when we returned home that "I don't think we could have done this trip much better." The first step was an early check-in when we arrived mid-morning. The room is apartment-sized and way above New York standards for room size. The kitchenette was perfect for handling my insulin and supplies and I really appreciated the refrig/freezer. I am so used to having to store them in an ice bucket.
I was not disturbed by any noise while there and enjoyed the view out back to the common garden/terrace. Subway stations were nearby and I enjoyed a lovely meal at Brio, an Italian restaurant at 61st and Lexington Ave (The only gripe there was a charge for 2 iced teas. It was very hot in NYC that day and the hustle-bustle had me parched.) Central Park is nearby and worthy of some time while on your trip.
For a final treat, the valets stored our bags after we checked out and wanted to spend more time in the city before our flight out. They even charged my cell phone and kept it with the other bags (It had died the night before and did not charge properly overnight.) I was so happy to have it returned and fully charged.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Lalita111, Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2010
Dear Mehheath,

I would like to thank you for choosing Affinia Gardens as your accommodation choice during your recent stay in New York City and for taking the time to write us feedback on Tripadvisor.

We were delighted to learn that you had an excellent stay with us and particularly value our hotel. Your comments on the service provided by our staff are most gratifying and will be shared with the whole team.

It was certainly a pleasure for us to be at your service and we all look forward to welcoming you again soon to the Affinia Gardens Hotel.

Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
davidkimsoo@aol.com
Reviewed September 2, 2010

We moved from the Times Square area to the Affinia Garden based on a Travelzoo special of $169/night and the positive review on tripadvisor. The size of the room was great. It had a mini-kitchen, 2 comfortable queen beds and bedding, lots of windows and the air-conditioner worked well. The hallways need serious updating and the elevators were slow, but everything was very clean. The staff was pleasant but didn't always give us great or enough info. Also you can customize your stay with robes, pillow choices, walking packet (which includes an ipod to check out at the desk and a pedometer), etc. if available at the time of your stay. I reserved some items but the only thing I got was the extra robe. We picked up the vanity pack (nail polish and make-up remover pads and other nice items) at the desk since it wasn't in the room. The 2nd night I asked if the walking experience was available because it wasn't in our room, and the clerk said it was. I set up for delivery the next morning at 10:00 but it still didn't come so I did without. I thought about trying different pillows for 2 of us but let it go because I didn't think they'd be delivered. The wifi isn't included and is $15.00 a day, which always annoys me. There was a CVS on the corner and a Tasty-Crispy (I think that was the name) with just about any kind of food you want for breakfast, lunch, or dinner 1.5 blocks away. Also a pretty good Asian restaurant on the corner across from CVS. Beware - they deliver but it gets charged to the room with a $3.00 service charge from the restaurant + a $4.00 service charge from the hotel for delivering it and charging it to the room. Weird. Heading the other way a few long blocks is all the pricey shopping of 5th, Lexington, Madison, etc. Nearby is Sony Tech, FAO Schwartz, Apple Store if those appeal. Central Park is close but we weren't really there for the park. We went to the zoo ($12.00 each I think) to appeal to my son who was sick of shopping. It is very small and doesn't take long to get through, but the seals were great among other animals, though we got rained our and didn't see the petting zoo because it was flooded. Everything else turned out to be a bit too far to walk by the second half of our trip because our feet were done-in, so we spent quite a bit on cabs. The subway stop was a couple blocks and we took that down to Century 21 to shop and then walked back up toward Soho, etc. and had a not great time getting back on the subway. We ended up on the west side of the park so cabbed back for a quick in room pizza (from Tasty Crispy) and cabbed back out for a play. All in all, the room was very spacious and clean but a bit too far removed from the action for us. If I could pick this hotel up and move it south a bit it would be perfect. Side note: the hotel arranged a car for us to the airport for $55.00 "all inclusive" (tax, tip, tolls). I clarified this. When we arrived at the airport the driver charged up $64+ dollars. I told him I was quoted $55.00 and he said he couldn't do that. His English was not good so I dropped it and planned on reporting this to the hotel when I got home but did not.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Lalita111, Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
Dear Mr. Kimmiesoo,

We would like to thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your experience.

While we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel and particularly appreciated your room, please accept my sincere apologies for us failing to provide you with the amenities you have requested for this stay. While this is highly unusual for our hotel, rest assured this has received the highest attention of our staff to ensure that we prevent this from happening in the future.

Your remark regarding the overcharged car service to the airport has been carefully noted and I can assure you the necessary steps have been taken to avoid such inconveniences in the future. Please call us back at (212) 355-1230 and ask for Lalita, let us know how we can refund the overcharged amount back to you. Again, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

It is feedback such as yours that enables us to reinforce the quality of our service and we really appreciate your constructive comments. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon in Affinia Gardens Hotel.

Regards,
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Reviewed September 1, 2010

We returned to the Affinia Gardens for the fourth time. It has become our home away from home in New York. The rooms are quite large by NYC standards and spotlessly clean. Our junior suite included a full kitchen which was very convenient. The location (64th St. between 2nd and 3rd) is just outside of midtown. It is convenient, but a little quieter than midtown hotels. Desk staff was O.K.; the bellmen were great. The health club was quite respectable for a smallish hotel. There is a nice grocery store across the street on 3rd Ave., and a drug store and 24 hour bakery (great bagels!) on 2nd Ave. We got a terrific deal on Travelzoo ($169.00 per night). I would return here in a heart beat.

Just a few quibbles prevent this from being a five star experience. Internet was $14.95/day. I did not appreciate having to pay this sum for what should be free these days. Also, there is free tea in the lobby, but no coffee. Finally, our requests via the frequent guest program were ignored (extra pillows and robes). No big deal, but the hotel sends and e-mail soliciting requests, and then lowers expectations by ignoring them: bad business. Finally, the nice Aveda bath accessories have given way to cheap stuff from China. Trimming costs due to the recession, I guess.

All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel. Short of perfection, but an excellent value. We had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed August 29, 2010

This was my second time staying at Affinia Gardens. We arrived on August 18th to celebrate a friends 60th birthday with 5 wonderful friends. The birthday girl was from England and her first visit to NYC. The outstanding service we received was second to none. It all started with Chris who organized a car to pick us up at JFK and we were greeted by Robert who not only drove us to the hotel but also provided us with many points of interest. Then we arrived at the hotel and Latoya (who is had prepared everything for our arrival) wine, food and a surprise birthday balloon when we arrived. She had everything organized and did a great job of making us welcome. In addition to this they made sure we enjoyed our stay and provided everything we needed for a four day stay in NYC. They booked our reservations at the comedy club, provided maps, coupons and anything else we needed. The suite was amazing; 2 bedroom; one with king size bed and full bathroom and second bedroom with queen size bed and another full bathroom. The sofa in the large living room also had a pull out sofa bed and a lovely long table with six chairs. The kitchen was large and even had a window in it along with full fridge, stove and microwave. The accomodations could not have been more perfect and we were on the 11th floor over looking the street. The room was so quite and all of us slept so well. When we asked for another coffee maker it was at our room in last than 5 minutes. Special thanks to all the staff who made our stay so very special. The location is perfect and there are so many shops close by and excellent restaurants. The metro (subway) is a 5 minute walk and we used it our entire stay and it was so easy to get around NYC. Central Park is a 7 minute walk and the carriage ride was fantastic. We saw it all and I would highly recommend the Staten Island Ferry Ride (which is free) and you get to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island so close. This trip was so wonderful and it's thanks to Alex Spektor and his great team at Affinia Gardens that made it so wonderful. Special thanks go out to Latoya, Chris and Robert for their outstanding customer service. I look forward to another great stay at Affinia Gardens in the very near future. If you want an apartment/hotel that is close to all the action, but quiet and relaxing after a full day in NYC this is the place. It was absolutely excellent!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cityblue2
Dear Cityblue2,

I would like to thank you for choosing the Affinia Gardens as your accommodation choice during your recent stay in City and for taking the time to give us a feedback on tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to read that you appreciated the friendliness and assistance of our staff and enjoyed your visit in our hotel. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our guests are satisfied with our services as it is what we strive for everyday.

Your kind words have been passed on to our teams and particularly to Ms Latoya, Mr. Chris and Mr. Robert who made your stay a pleasant one. This will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.

We all look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to New York City.

Regards,
Office Manager
NYC
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We stayed 3 nights in a 1 bedroom suite at the Affinia Gardens, traveling with children ages 1 and 3. Lovely hotel in a great location with all conviences nearby including many shops and restaurants. Quiet spacious room. Staff very friendly and helpful. Hotel only gets 4/5 becuase it does look a little "worn" and could use some updating/modernization. We are former NYers and will be making the Affinia our home away from home for many future return visits.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Stayed at the Affinia Garden Hotel and was so pleasantly surprised at how very professional and courteous the staff was and was extremely happy with the accomodations....not intimidating at all but a very classy place none the less...and it is pet friendly and has rooms with patios...which is a rare thing in NYC. I will be back again and again

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
New Mexico
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I am an enthusiastic repeat customer of Affinia Gardens on E. 64 St. in Manhattan. Initially it was the location that appealed to me most, but over time I have come to appreciate the service ethic of the hotel's housekeeping and front desk staff members. People like Jenniffer Pazmino at the front desk went out of their way to ensure that my stay was comfortable and pleasant.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
ASpektor, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
Dear YellowDogDemocrat,

My name is Alex Spektor and I am the General Manager of the Affinia Gardens. We are thrilled to know that you are a big fan of our hotel. Our staff is committed to deliver this unique, personal service that you have been experiencing when staying with us. Thank you for your wonderful comments and we look forward to see you soon here at the Affinia Gardens!

Best Regards,