“Serenity within, amidst the great energy of the upper East Side.”

Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #56 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Manhattan
“Serenity within, amidst the great energy of the upper East Side.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

The staff was comforting and the rooms were clean with precise climate control. The room was huge for the value, unexpectedly delightful with a kitchenette and simply a place I need to go back to. The beds, divine.

The Tea room is more than tea. It is where you can meditate on the beautiful floor pillows, where you can sip on specialty teas, all while having some fascinating conversations with the staff members.

Calm, serene and comforting was an experience I had at this hotel during the worst crisis of my life. Thank you, Affinia.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2010

We had a one bedroom suite that was just what we were looking for. The rooms were spacious, the bathroom was very clean and the beds were so comfortable. Everything you could ask for. I would definitely return.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Douglassville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2010

Stayed at this hotel with my wife and children for an extended Memorial Day weekend trip. This was actually my second stay here. My first was for business in December, 2009. I liked the hotel so much that I decided if I ever brought my family to NYC, we would stay here.

The Affinia Gardens is a very nice hotel on the Upper East Side (64th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues). The rooms are large by NYC standards. We stayed in a one bedroom suite, which had two queen beds in the bedroom, a living room with a pull out couch, a small kitchen and one bath. They also have one bedroom deluxe suites which have a larger living room and a dining area - which is the type of room I had in December. If I go again with the family, I will definitely choose a deluxe suite over a regular suite - there is a lot more room.

The hotel is in a nice area of NYC - a short walk from Central Park and several subway stations - so getting around is no problem. It is also very close to Bloomingdales and other shopping meccas on Lexington Avenue.

The real charm of this place is the staff. Everyone who works at the Affinia Gardens that we came in contact with was wonderful - always asking if you were enjoying yourself and if there is anything they could do to help you. It started from the moment my wife checked in without me - when the doorman opend the doors to our van for the kids and quickly gave them a keycard so they could go to the bathroom in the lobby.

We met the GM at a manager's wine and cheese reception on Friday. She was a very nice woman, whose name I unfortunately can't recall. She has been with the company for 10 years. When I remarked to her about how nice everyone at the hotel was, she explained that Affinia is a family owned business that makes customer satisfaction its top priority.

Kris Karol, the bellman/doorman, deserves special mention. He was absolutely wonderful with my youngest daughter on the morning of her birthday, when my wife and she were heading out to breakfast at the American Girl store. He made an incredible fuss. On the day we checked out, he came and got our bags in our room; stored them for us; and gave us a phone number to call about 15 minutes before we were going to be ready to leave. We called him and 15 minutes later when we got to the front of the hotel, not only was our van there, Kris had it loaded with all of our luggage. A very nice touch which allowed us to hold onto the relaxation of our vacation for a few more hours.

If I had to find something to complain about, it would be about the kitchen supplies. The Affinia advertises a "fully stocked" kitchen. I would not exactly call it "fully stocked". I'm not sure I could have cooked a meal there. However, there was enough to allow us to get by.

Overall the Affinia Gardens is a very nice hotel with a superior staff. I would not hesitate to stay here again, for business or pleasure.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank cjbesq
mmurat, Front Office Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2010
Thank you so very much for taking the time to complete a trip advisor comment regarding your experience at our Hotel. Its comments like these that make us enjoy what we do on a daily basis. I appreciate the acknowledgment of our charming staff and feedback regarding kitchen supplies. I’ve taken good notes and will definitely follow up. Please consider Affinia your hotel choice for any future travels…….Marjory Murat (Director of front office Operations)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2010

We just returned from a 7 night stay and have no hesitation in recommending Affinia Gardens. We did NOT want to stay in the touristy, crowded hotel areas in Midtown or Times Square but rather wanted to stay in a real Manhattan neighbourhood to get away form the hustle and bustle at the end of each very active day. We went all over the city as the hotel is really central to everything - you just walk, grab a cab or take the subway. We looked forward to getting back "home" at the end of each day. Very quiet and comfortable hotel and area. We had a large suite with kitchen and 2 very comfortable queen size beds and lot of comfy pillows. Staff was very friendly (hi Michael) - General Manager,Alec, introduced himself on our first day at his Friday wine and cheese reception. Lots of nice places to eat in the UES. Thanks.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RonZ
Bethlehem
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2010

We have stayed at the other Affinia's in the city before and have always been satisfied. This time we wanted to stay in a different location, so we decided to try out Affinia Gardens. The suite was more like an apartment, with a separate bedroom, small dining area, and a small kitchen that came in handy. The location is wonderful...only a few blocks to Central Park and within walking distance to the museums. It was fairly quiet, for New York City standards, and made for good sleeping. Staff was pleasant and helpful when needed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Lincolnshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2010

We went to NY for three nights and booked two rooms. By european standards, the rooms were huge. Both had two double (Queen size) beds with large bathrooms and small compact but well stocked kitchens. The hotel is in a quiet residential area between 2nd and 3rd Avenue but is only a 50yd walk from Taxis and Buses. We walked to Times Square in 30 minutes and Central Park in 15 mins.

The Hotel has no restaurant but will arrange for food to be delivered but it is expensive. Across the road is a small mexican restaurant that is good and cheap. However, the best aspect of this place is its staff. We were made to feel genuinely welcome by Sal, Pedro and Jennifer from the moment we arrived. Kris organised transport in advance for us from Newark and quite frankly nothing seemed to much trouble for them.

Bad points? None really but minor paint touchups in the bathroom would be welcome. Would I go back? In a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Redeyes1
mmurat, Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2010
Thank you so very much for taking the time to leave us a comment about your stay. We have taken good note of your comments and will follow up. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.......Marjory Murat (Director of front office Operations)!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2010

My husband, our dog and I just came back from a fantastic weekend at the Affinia Gardens. We stayed in a room on the first floor with a fabulous patio that was fully fenced in and very private (what an amazing amenity to have in NYC at this moderate price range). From our dog's perspective, he really liked being able to go in and out of our hotel room onto the patio without having to wear a leash. The only downside was that there wasn't any grass on the patio on which he could go to the bathroom (nor was there any substantial patches of grass in front of the hotel or for several blocks around), so we ended up having to walk him to Central Park for that purpose. (As an aside, we recommend using the park entrance at 67th and not the one at 61st, because all of the grassy areas and shrubbery near the 61st entrance are fenced in or blocked off, whereas there is grass right near the park entrance at 67th).

In terms of the noise from the street, the room in which we stayed was amazingly quiet. We couldn't hear *anything* at all -- no ambulances, no car horns, no garbage trucks -- nothing. It was almost like not being in the city at all. The only noise we heard was from people in the hallway, but this was probably because our room was situated next to the elevators and so we were able to hear people coming and going (although even this noise wasn't very loud). However, the next time we stay at the Affinia Gardens in a room on the first floor with a private patio, I'm going to request one at the end of the corridor away from the elevators.

Another nice feature of the hotel room was its size. For NYC standards, it was quite large. The bathroom was also nice -- other than bathtub itself (which looked old and too small for an actual bath), the rest of the bathroom (faucet, sink, towel racks, toilet, toilet paper holder, etc) had clearly been remodeled within the last few years. The kitchen was more out-of-date (it looked like it hadn't been updated in about 25 years other than the installation of new granite countertops). However, despite its age, the kitchen was still quite functional and I enjoyed having access to it while we were traveling.

Another nice part of our stay at the Affinia Gardens was that the staff was very nice to us. Everyone we met was very friendly and welcoming, especially to our dog. After spending the weekend there, I can truly say that the Affinia Gardens is pet-friendly and not just a hotel that "allows" dogs to stay there.

Overall I was very pleased with Affinia Gardens and I would definitely recommend it to anyone, especially those people traveling with pets!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
ASpektor, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2010
Dear sarah7038,

My name is Alex Spektor, General Manager of the Affinia Gardens Hotel. We continuously review guest reviews on tripadvisor.com as we find it to be the most valuable source of suggestions, recommendations and/or simply compliments for our staff and the hotel. I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful weekend in NY and sounds like your dog did too! I will be sure to pass on the compliments to our staff who works hard on ensuring that each and every experience at our hotel is unique. We look forward to welcome you back at the Affinia Gardens soon!