“If the rate wasn't a great deal, I wouldn't stay again”

Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #68 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles
“If the rate wasn't a great deal, I wouldn't stay again”
Reviewed August 20, 2009

I have stayed in many hotels recently, spanning from Southeast Asia to this one in New York at the tail end of my vacation. After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, visiting the website in awe at the wonderful ammenties included and finding a fantastic deal on the nightly rate, I couldn't resist and booked a room for a week as part of a gift. I really wanted to like this hotel, but in the end couldn't.

First the positives:
-The complimentary tea bar is a great addition, it would be nice if they put some of that tea in the room for you as well.
-The hotel is quiet, a nice oasis in the bustling city.
-The hotel manager is very courteous and eager to help, definitely a plus.
-The room was clean and well maintained for the course of the week.
-The location is great. Nearby subways (F and N,R,W lines very close) and easily walkable (4 or 5 blocks) to Central Park. Also, nearby the M66 bus stop which takes you across the park to the Lincoln Center on the Upper West Side.

The negatives (not as many but deal breakers for me):
-You are an inconvenience to the staff. Our flight was delayed coming into JFK, we didn't get in until midnight. I realized that it was late and called the hotel to confirm that I was still coming. When we got there our room was ready, but only a single security worker manning the front desk. We spoke with him and he got the worker for the night. It was apparent that they did not appreciate me being there and even let out a sigh or frustration when I asked about ordering room service. I realize that it was late, but I also realize that it is a hotel which should be catering to guests. I've arrived later at the Holiday Inn and been treated with more courtesy.
-I assumed this incident was isolated, it wasn't. I am young, so were my guests. We stay out late and wake up early. Every evening there was either no one in front or the staff made certain to tell us that it was late (once as early as 9pm...it's NEW YORK). Every morning I recieved questionable looks/tones about arranging wake up calls. I choose to stay at a hotel for convenience and privacy. I do not pay for the staff to demonstrate opinions.
-Housekeekping did minimal work, whose quality changed day to day. Some days were amazing, like stepping into a new room, some days were horrible and we were welcomed to strange smells. At least none of my stuff was missing.
-As another reviewer noted, Affinia hotels offer online customization of room ammenities. This includes everything from a special pillow to particular care packages offered as complimentary services for the guests. A definite plus. However, this convenience is negated when it isn't acted upon. Not a big deal, but I'd rather they not advertise something that doesn't exist (or doesn't work).
-We asked the workers about internet access. It's not available complimentary anywhere. There is no business center for guests, there's a single computer you can pay to use. I eventually got so tired of asking them for things I paid for in room internet, $12.95 a night.
-Personal ammenities such as shaving cream, toothpaste, razors, etc. are provided if you ask the front desk. I was given irritated reactions when I asked for them
-This one's just personal preference, but the hotel definitely caters to an older/family crowd. The first few days, I didn't see a single person under 50 besides the workers. Nothing wrong with that, but for me it would have been nice to know. I loved the spa-esqe atmosphere, just wish I had known that the space was meant for the elderly and families.

Bottom line, the hotel wasn't bad, a steal for what we paid. At regular price, it's terrible and well below par. There are definitely nicer places to stay in New York this hotel offers nothing beyond a typical hotel experience. The only way for them to stand out is their service, and it flopped big time. I don't know if it was just an off week, but something is not right here. The hotel was good for what it is, but the lack of couteous service really irked me and will prevent me from returning.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank kanzen03

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Belgium,brussels
Reviewed August 18, 2009

we were looking for a nice set up close to central park and based on professional website.

We chose the room with backyard (ground floor). Not worthy. It sits by elevator (so nice and traffic). Plus backyard in itself is noisy (all the hotel machinery seems to be behind) so we missed the purpose of selection "quiet and restful in big city"

Also, bathroom doesn't have AC/air so gets hot and u have to let door opened. If you plan to use sofa bed, then no more room/a bit crowded. Kitchen old and no sufficient cooking tools. I guess only use for microawe reheating or possibly cook eggs in morning. Also no door between room and kitchen so cooking smell can spread out.

Also, the pre register/website prior to arrive send several messages asking for specific requests/choice among a set of services. So we did it. Nothing was delivered as requested. Not we care but what a fuss for nothing. Professional in appearance, less in execution

Hence, also, nice in check in, rude in check out. Room prepaid. Ask for credit card. Would not answer to customer simple question "why do you need a credit card # if no extra". Clerck kept repeating question and us ours. While she could have si^mply stated "excuse me, indeed there is no charge and we don t plan to use your card but i need it as our computer system doesn't allow checking out without a number". Unconvenient/stupide for customer but at least there would have been understanding and communication. So much for smooth handling, friendliness of service. Arrogance and stubborn. Don t care to bring services anymore to the hotel or other of its brand names in other cities...there is plenty of offer around.

We were coming from downtown (embassy suites) which we very much like but wanted to be closer to uptown sites and avoid useless trips on subways. If you would redo similar trips, would stay at embassy and not in affinia again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
PA
Reviewed August 17, 2009

If you are interested in a hotel with room for a family in NYC stay at the Affinia Gardens! This is a renovated apartment so the room we stayed in was a 1 bdr with full kitchen, living room and bath. It had ample space to hang out with a pull out sofa in theh living room that the kids shared. They have a pillow menu so you can choose the type of pillow for your stay on their website, plus other amenities. It was a nice neighborhood close to a lot but out of the midtown hectic feel. We paid pre-tax $249 per night for this hotel and that was a bargain for NYC! The hotel has a lovely lobby and tea room where you can enjoy tea and relax. Check their website for specials. The only downside was that you can hear the local traffic, but that's New York.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 11, 2009

My daughter and I stayed at the Affinia Gardens on our first trip to New York and it couldn't have been better. The service was exceptional. Everyone who is affiliated with the hotel is very helpful and professional. The room was more than I could have anticipated. Having a room with a kitchen was the best. The location is so convenient to Central Park, great dining and much more. The Affinia Gardens will be my hotel of choice for all future visits to the Big Apple.

• Stayed August 2009
Sydney
Reviewed July 29, 2009

The hotel has clean comfortable rooms. The staff were very friendly and it is a short walk to Central Park and the Metro. We would defintatly stay here again

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Clifton, NJ
Reviewed July 27, 2009

If it is a business trip or a casual night away, The Affinia Gardens will meet every one of your needs! The service is impeccable and the amenities will keep you coming back again and again! A++ to the individuals that make the Affinia Gardens the Best of the Best!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Cleveland ,Ohio
Reviewed July 25, 2009

I have to share this little gem, it was clean, and friendly, and I love the low key location.
I only stayed one night with my family, but I will stay longer next time. We were pleasantly surprised. Thanks Affinia Gardens were enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family