Pros: We are a family of five and finding accommodations is difficult. This hotel had a junior suite with a separate bedroom w two queens and a living room w a sofa bed. Size wise it was very good. There was also a little kitchen that could prove handy for some. We just kept water in the fridge.
The location was also good. It is in a more residential neighborhood so much quieter than others. We were about 3 (longer but very manageable east west) blocks from Central Park. Passed a bagel cart in on the corner and we grabbed bagels, rolls and juice for an easy park breakfast before starting to explore. It was also a short walk to the subway on Lexington which was also a great spot to grab a cab.
Staff was pleasant and while it took a daily request we were able to get extra towels. Hotel was clean. AC worked. And it was quiet in the room.
Cons: This is where my lack of big city travel may taint my review. $500+/per night (which includes a plethora of NYC taxes) seemed a little high for this. They also oversold the place on their website. It shows as uber modern and chic. It was really a rather dated and a little worn in the halls and room but filled w newer more modern West Elm furniture to make it look hipper than it was. Our recliner chair was pealing and worn. Base board molding was broken loose. The bathroom was tiny (knees on the door while....sitting). Kitchen was older, low end apartment cabinets and appliances w a newer granite top.
Lobby was a den w a TV & coffee maker and a smaller check in section. Spartan (w more West Elm furniture) but not really a big deal. Clean and nice I guess but just kinda added to the underwhelming feel of the place.
I believe there are also full time tenants in the hotel. We were at the end of the hall from someone that was perpetually cooking....whole goat w garlic, onion lasagna, tuna tacos. Every time we came or went the hallway smell was overbearing.
And back to the internet...they have a glossy concierge website/email system. Pick your pillows, little optional room extras (picnic blanket kit and some fun/kooky $ items...guitar, putter, cupcakes) and the offer to make reservations. DO NOT count on this for your dining. I requested a table at a place listed on their site (Felice 64...I recommend) 48 hours in advance. I got a call at 6PM the day we checked from the manager telling me they just saw my request for a 7PM table that night. With only a "in process" notice I figured the site wasn't being monitored and had called myself. Had I not, we'd have been eating to go pizza.
In conclusion, its that darn $500+ a night thing or $2,800 for 5 nights. NYC is expensive. I knew that and counted on it. I had just hoped for a little "wow" or at least a little nicer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tranquil. Thoughtful. Private. Just right for a little alone time in NYC. Discreetly located on the Upper East Side on an intimate, tree-lined street, the Gardens NYC is the picture of Manhattan gentility. It's surrounded by world-class NYC shopping and Manhattan's famed museums, adding grace and charm to its locale. But guests find it's just right for a tranquil retreat. With such great in-room service, you can simply take to your hotel suite and escape for some alone time. Our 129 suites, many larger than New York City apartments, offer generous living space, including full kitchens and large vanities with Hollywood lighting, making them ideal for stays of a day, a week or much, much longer. Hotel Services Fee is $25 plus tax per room, per night and provides you with the following amenities: · $10 daily food and drink credit to our Cupboard or Corner Store* · Daily Wine Hour during Social Sips from 5-6PM · Wireless Internet access for all of your devices · 10% off at Celebrity Chef Geoffrey Zakarian’s The National Bar & Dining Rooms · In-room gourmet coffee and tea offerings · Unlimited package handling and storage prior to and during your stay · Business services, including printing · Local and domestic long distance calls · 24/7 access to our state-of-the-art fitness centers · Access to Affinia bikes (where applicable) · Concierge services *Must be redeemed daily, credit may not be rolled over **Fee is exclusive of service gratuities ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Odigeo, HotelTravel.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Affinia Gardens Hotel New York City
- Affinia Gardens New York City