After a couple of recent stays at the Affinia Dumont, we have been huge fans of Affinia hotels, even recommending them to others when traveling to New York.
Sadly, this fondness for Affinia has come to an end. A few months earlier, we reserved and prepaid for a room at the Affinia Gardens. Affinia occasionally has a 3-day sale with great rates, and we were fortunate enough to book a room at the Gardens for this year's spring break. It was my son's birthday, so we took a much anticipated birthday trip to NYC.
When we arrived at the Affinia Gardens, we were promptly checked in and sent to our room--one problem, it wasn't the room we had already booked. Instead of 2 beds for our family of 4, it had only one. We returned to the desk and learned that our troubles had just begun. The Front Desk Manager quickly learned that our room had already been assigned to a group of 6 that was also to arrive later that day. When he asked if we could keep the originally assigned room, I said no (it was prepaid). He then became more frustrated and looked at my children standing a few feet away in the lobby. Obviously unhappy with his predicament, he then said that they (my sons) looked too old to be classified as children and would be charging us the adult rate for these "additional guests".
Unfortunately, this unpleasant discussion was heard by all in the small lobby, including our NY friends who had arrived to meet us at the hotel. After a long cross-country flight, I wasn't expecting this at an Affinia hotel. Thankfully, the rest of the staff was very friendly and cheerful and greeted us warmly with each trip past the front desk.
Our room at the Affinia Gardens was in need of some TLC. Compared to the Affinia Dumont, the finishes are more tired and worn. Our room was nicely sized, however, the bathroom was disproportionately small and was really only big enough for one person. In fact, the toilet was angled just to allow for the door to open into the bathroom. Finally, the deadbolt lock in our room did not work.
The location is great and one of the main reasons we selected this hotel. Close enough to midtown, Central Park as well as the upper east side. While the street noise was not a bother, we did clearly hear conversations in the adjacent room through the adjoining door. Thankfully, we weren't in our room enough for this to be a problem.
With the exception of the Front Desk Manager, the staff was always wearing a smile. One of the reasons we have come to adore Affinia is for the pleasant staff. Presumably because our room assignment was wrong, we failed to get the additional items promised as part of "My Affinia's" program (specialized pillow, charging pad, etc.) that we preordered. No big deal...it was obviously a busy weekend for the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tranquil. Thoughtful. Private. Just right for a little alone time in NYC. Discreetly located on the Upper East Side on an intimate, tree-lined street, the Gardens NYC is the picture of Manhattan gentility. It's surrounded by world-class NYC shopping and Manhattan's famed museums, adding grace and charm to its locale. But guests find it's just right for a tranquil retreat. With such great in-room service, you can simply take to your hotel suite and escape for some alone time. Our 129 suites, many larger than New York City apartments, offer generous living space, including full kitchens and large vanities with Hollywood lighting, making them ideal for stays of a day, a week or much, much longer. Hotel Services Fee is $25 plus tax per room, per night and provides you with the following amenities: · $10 daily food and drink credit to our Cupboard or Corner Store* · Daily Wine Hour during Social Sips from 5-6PM · Wireless Internet access for all of your devices · 10% off at Celebrity Chef Geoffrey Zakarian’s The National Bar & Dining Rooms · In-room gourmet coffee and tea offerings · Unlimited package handling and storage prior to and during your stay · Business services, including printing · Local and domestic long distance calls · 24/7 access to our state-of-the-art fitness centers · Access to Affinia bikes (where applicable) · Concierge services *Must be redeemed daily, credit may not be rolled over **Fee is exclusive of service gratuities ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Reservation Counter, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Affinia Gardens Hotel New York City
- Affinia Gardens New York City