“Not given room we booked.Told prior guest had not checked out!”

Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #76 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I booked two nights at Affinia Gardens in September. I booked a one bedroom suite, as I was travelling with my 82 year old mother who was jet lagged, so we could have separate sleeping rooms. I booked through hotelclub.com as there were no rooms available booking directly with the hotel.
When we arrived at the hotel I was told our room was not available as the person who had it the night before had not checked out! I was furious and despite much arguing the hotel staff would not budge. We were put in a regular room for that night(a bed and a sleeper sofa). I t spent over an hour on the phone with Hotelclub.com trying to sort it out but to no avail. A month later,despite many phone calls, I still have not received a rebate for the room change. The hotel location was ideal and the rooms were fine and having the kitchen is great however I am really disappointed in the service we had and I will never book with hotelclub.com again (They are linked to Orbitz)

Reviewed October 11, 2011

First time at the Affinia Garden, came with the entire family. we stayed in a one-bedroom suite, which was quite spacious, much more than what we anticipated. Very well appointed, clean, quiet, and just perfect for a weekend in NYC.

The small kitchen was well equipped for prepping a quick breakfast for the kids. The staff was quite nice and friendly, and the rate very reasonable for the size of the room and location of the hotel.

I saw some other reviews complaining about the extra wi-fi fee... that is SOP in most hotels in NYC and other large cities, so no complaints as I am used to that.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Marcelo C
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I've always stayed at the large chain hotels midtown. My last NY trip I needed to be close to Sloan Kettering Medical Center and stayed at the Affinia which was the nearest hotel. I love this hotel. This is a smaller hotel in a neighborhood location but it has all the benefits you will not find in those large chain hotels. My room was spacious and quiet and even included a kitchenette. Staff were pleasantly helpful. A prior review commented on WiFi, but most hotels, including the Affinia, provide free Wifi in the lobby. If you haven't been here before, give it a try. It's my new favorite in NY.

Room Tip: rooms at the rear of the building face a quiet, wooded, park-like area, hence the name, Affinia Gard...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank paltyel
ADMgr, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

Dear Paltyel,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor! We are thrilled to be your “new first choice hotel” and that we were able to offer you a comfortable and relaxing stay at our hotel. It is part of our experience concept to offer our guests a residential-like, Upper East Side neighborhood environment. The fact that you noticed our un-chain like hotel qualities is what we strive for in our guest experience.

We appreciate your kind words and look forward for your return to Affinia Gardens soon!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed September 20, 2011

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Affinia Gardens to be fairly close to the Andrea Bocelli concert in Central Park. The hotel and rooms were lovely, BUT, when I asked whether wi-fi was available, I was told there was an added charge of $15 per day, and THIS on top of the $500 per night room rate!!! How tacky can you get? Needless to say, I opted NOT to use this service, just on principles' sake.

Room Tip: Junior suite facing the garden was both quiet and pretty.
3  Thank jgdw

Dear jgdw,

I would like to thank you for choosing Affinia Gardens as your accommodation choice for your recent visit to New York City and for taking the time to share your comments with us. I noted your discontent with the internet during your stay.

Allow me to apologize for the discontent with our internet price. We are looking at the situation and discussing it with management as our guests suggestions are very imperative. We understand that internet access is important, so we do offer free wi-fi in our lobby. I have gone over this with our entire team to make it a point to convey this information to our guests at check-in.

Again, I’m sorry that you were inconvenienced during your stay with us. I hope that this doesn’t deter you from visiting us on you next trip to New York. We truly appreciate your business.

Reviewed September 19, 2011

Stayed here recently and had a great time in NY. 3rd time we have been to NY. As others have said, great location, clean, good sized rooms and about as noise free as you are going to get for Manhattan.
However there are some issues with the hotel.

The state of the furniture in the rooms is very basic. The sofa we had had a small tear in it.
The serentiy tea room or whatever the hell it is called is basically just the lobby. A small area near the front door with a couch, 2 chairs and a tv. It certainly is not relaxing.
The complimentary tea's consist of 4 varietys which are really just bog standard tea bags you can get anywhere.
The Coffee is only available 9-12 in the morning. Don't expect to be getting your caffine fix here. You do get a coffee maker in your room with 2-3 coffee pods but it is actually a very poor and weak blend.

The Kitchen facility's are pretty poor to be fair. The equipment is fine fridge freezer, dishwasher, stove is all excellent. However there is basically no pans for you to do any cooking with. We had 1 small pan and a frying pan. If you are coming here and are thinking about having meals in after a hard days activity then I would say dont expect to be rustling up great meals. There are no knives for you to prepare anything either. Best knife they give you is a steak knife. The tools you are given mean you will be eating out.

They mention rooms have views. Well they do have a view of something, but that something is either shops/offices/restaurants or apartment blocks. You ain't going to see anything interesting from here.

Overall an ok hotel, but for the price paid I would not return. For what they are charging you would expect the smaller details to be taken care of such as furniture with no rips and maybe a better stocked kitchen, and a more accurate description of what they actually offer ie they don't offer views, the serenity tea room is not serene and the complimentary coffee is only available for a few hours.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bob b

Dear bob b,

We would like to thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your experience.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences and disappoints you experienced during your stay with us. It is comments like yours that really make us aware and take action to make our future guest stays all the more better. I am happy to announce that we are in the process of replacing our sofas as well as our carpets and lighting.

As for our kitchens, we realize that after a number of years, appliances become outdated; needs of our guest change which ultimately causes us to start making changes. We are in talks with management about full kitchen renovation. Your comments about our kitchen will help us bring solid examples of what our kitchens need in order for our guests to be happy.

I will also like to address your concerns for the serenity area not being as serene as we hope for our guests. Similar to our kitchens, we realize that we need to strive to make our hotel more equipped for our guests as well as the tranquil feel that we wish to portray. Our entire lobby area will be renovated early next year and will be designed to surpass any guest expectations. Again, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused your stay here in New York. It is unfortunate that you may not return, however I would like to welcome you back to our hotel after all renovations have been done so that you get to truly experience what we have to offer.

Regards,

Reviewed September 18, 2011

We've stayed here twice, in September 2010 and again in September 2011. This is easily the best hotel we've used in Manhattan. The rooms are clean, spacious and well-equipped; the staff are friendly and helpful; and the location is great for exploring New York whilst being in a relatively quiet street.

We've previously had a junior suite and this time a two-bedroom suite, both were brilliant with huge comfortable beds and sofas, large kitchens and excellent bathrooms.

Four blocks from Central Park/Fifth Avenue. Well-stocked supermarket around the corner, a bank with ATM at the end of the street, subway station within five minutes.

Highly recommended

1  Thank Mike P

Dear Mike P,

I would like to thank you for choosing the Affinia Gardens as your accommodation choice during your recent stay in City and for taking the time to give us a feedback on tripadvisor.
I was very pleased to read that you appreciated the friendliness and assistance of our staff and enjoyed your visit in our hotel. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our guests are satisfied with our services, facilities and our unique location here on the Upper East Side. As a repeat guest, you really did get the experience that we here at Affinia Gardens strive for everyday.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family again on your next visit to New York City.

Regards,

Reviewed September 7, 2011

2 rooms, 12-days, over $8000 bill, ongoing contruction on 3 floors, banging noises for days in a row, flamables, fumes and contruction workers in the guest elivators, unresponsive, irresponsable and unavailable staff, over-billing, excuses, no prior disclosure when booking of planned construction. Difficult staff to deal with. Will be posting video on youtube labeled "affinia gardens nightmare." Stay tuned and stay away from this place. I have no other choice but to now take legal action for them to take this seriously. The most bizzare hotel experience I have ever had. Was even charged me more than I booked for! Like I said bizzare.

Room Tip: Rooms ok, but not clean and organized as in pictures
9  Thank Christopher L