I've stayed at this property several times and found my most recent visit mostly better than the others and the facilities better maintained. If you are looking for a place with a spacious and comfortable lobby, though, this one won't fill the bill. The restaurant/bar area can be very busy and loud, as well, which cuts both ways of course. I did, however, find the doormen to be extremely helpful and friendly, as well as the night security guard keeping an eye on the elevators. Seemingly small things, but they add up.
I have also, however, found the front-desk staff a bit inconsistent in terms of helpfulness and friendliness, and often too thinly staffed given the guest traffic. One particular irritation is that since our room wasn't yet ready when I arrived (they were admittedly very busy with college basketball visitors), we needed to store our luggage with the bellman, and there was a per-bag charge. It just feels like nickel-and-diming, particularly when room pricing is high (I've paid prices all over the map for this hotel depending on the timing), you also need to tip the bellman, and in this case, I didn't have a choice since my room wasn't ready. Left a very bad taste in my mouth.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DoubleTree by Hilton Metropolitan New York City is a modern, landmark hotel conveniently located on Lexington Avenue at 51st Street, in the heart of Midtown’s luxurious East Side. The contemporary hotel recently completed a $25 million dollar revitalization project which included all-new guestrooms, suites and meeting space. With it’s ideal Midtown location, the hotel is steps from fashionable Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue shopping, Bloomingdales, the United Nations and many upscale boutiques. Times Square, Broadway theaters, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, Central Park, St. Patrick’s Cathedral and The Museum of Modern Art are all within walking distance. Grand Central Terminal and all major subway lines are just a few blocks from the hotel. Penn Station/Madison Square Garden and Port Authority Bus Terminal are accessible via quick taxi ride and the hotel is convenient to all (3) area airports. Each of the hotel’s 764 brand-new guestrooms (including 22 suites) features all-new carpeting, furniture and wall treatments plus brand-new bathrooms. Modern in-room amenities include high-speed Internet access, Sweet Dreams by Doubletree Sleep Experience, 37-inch flat-screen television, MP3 connectivity and brand-new work desk with ergonomic chair. Onsite hotel amenities include a newly renovated lobby with spacious seating area, trendy Met Bar lobby lounge, Met Grill (open for breakfast), room service, complimentary 24-hour Fitness Center, complimentary 24-hour business center, Concierge/Theater Ticket Desk, gift shop, salon and barber shop – all onsite. The hotel has 14,000 square feet of brand-new event space. The hotel is 100% non-smoking. Self & valet parking is available. The hotel allows pets, with a $50 pet surcharge per stay (under 60 lbs). 24-hour Security onsite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree New York City
- New York City Doubletree
- Doubletree Metropolitan New York
- Doubletree Metropolitan Hotel New York City