“Improved in recent years; small irritations”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Metropolitan - New York City
Ranked #335 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I've stayed at this property several times and found my most recent visit mostly better than the others and the facilities better maintained. If you are looking for a place with a spacious and comfortable lobby, though, this one won't fill the bill. The restaurant/bar area can be very busy and loud, as well, which cuts both ways of course. I did, however, find the doormen to be extremely helpful and friendly, as well as the night security guard keeping an eye on the elevators. Seemingly small things, but they add up.

I have also, however, found the front-desk staff a bit inconsistent in terms of helpfulness and friendliness, and often too thinly staffed given the guest traffic. One particular irritation is that since our room wasn't yet ready when I arrived (they were admittedly very busy with college basketball visitors), we needed to store our luggage with the bellman, and there was a per-bag charge. It just feels like nickel-and-diming, particularly when room pricing is high (I've paid prices all over the map for this hotel depending on the timing), you also need to tip the bellman, and in this case, I didn't have a choice since my room wasn't ready. Left a very bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank EMJ I
Nadria B, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

EMJ I,
Thank you for taking the time to share your response with us, hear at the Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan the Little Things Mean Everything. I am happy to know that you were pleased with the bellman and the security staff. I do apologize for the inconvenience with the storage cost associated with the luggage storage. This is a management decision currently under review. We hope to see you again so that we can better serve you.
Nadria Buchanan- Guest Experience Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,100)

Reviewed May 8, 2014

While the hotel and staff were very nice, the air freshener scent was overpowering throughout the hotel to the point where I could taste it and could not wait to go outside into the fresh NYC air. If they would remove, or materially tone down, the air freshener, I would be happy to return.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Ann C

Ann C,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding the scent of the air freshener with us. I do apologize that you found the scent overwhelming. I will share this with my housekeeping team for their consideration. Thank you for staying and we hope to see you again for future visits.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

We were looking for something centrally located and a block or less from the subway as we had to push our airport luggage around twice. This hotel did meet those expectations and was easy to get to from JFK and Penn Station. We were also close enough to Town square, Broadway and Central park to walk, which was a lovely bonus.

The staff was friendly and gave us cookies on check-in. The hotel room size was adequate and the bed was a proper king size bed. We heard minimal outside noise despite only being on the 5th floor. We had breakfast at the hotel and it was a good buffet, though a bit pricey.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 247Annie

247Annie,
Thank you for the wonderful review. We are very happy to know that you loved the location of our property and the accommodation extended by the staff. We hope to see you again when you are in the city.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

Apart from the normal rip off of having to pay for wifi, at this hotel they charge for extra devices! Complete profiteering! Service at reception surly and elevators for which on several occasions I had to wait in line. One time it took 15 minutes to come down from the 12th. I've stayed here several times but this was the worst experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank David N

David N,
I am sorry to hear that your stay was so disappointing; we want all our guests to have a wonderful experience with us. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to better serve you so that we can demonstrate our dedication to our customer satisfaction.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

The staff was excellent! They made us feel welcome and comfortable, extremely friendly and helpful. The concierge was also great. I did think the rooms were a little too small, but when you are in NYC you do not spend much time in the rooms. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Jay A M,
I am thrilled to hear that you had such an amazing experience with us. Come see us the next time you are in town. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

This hotel is good for its location and not its service or amenities. Bad WiFi, unpleasant front desk, hallways not very clean. The shower wasn't very clean and the faucet leaked all over the bathroom. Despite NYC pricing, I'm quite sure that you can find a better value in a similar locations.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Eric S
Nadria B, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Eric S,
I am sorry to hear that you were not impressed by the service and the amenities offered at the hotel. At the Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan, the Little Things Mean Everything to us and we will certainly use your comments as an opportunity to improve the service that we provide for our future guests. Thank you for staying and we hope to see you for future visits so that we deliver the service that you have come to expect and deserve from our brand of hotels.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Stayed for two nights on business. Clean room. Very crowded lobby and crowded elevators. Room faced south and heard minimal city noise (18th floor). Small bathroom. Good midtown east location - just blocks away from Rockefeller Center, Broadway Area, Times Square, Central Park. It is a very average hotel - nothing special, but not dirty or gross. My company travel agent booked it - I probably would not stay here if I was in town for a personal/leisure trip. But it worked for two nights.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms probably have less noise.