“Nice room, if a little noisy”

Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City
Ranked #327 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, England, United Kingdom
“Nice room, if a little noisy”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

One of the largest rooms in all the hotels I've stayed in around midtown/ Times Square, albeit at the expense of a quite small bathroom. The noise from the road (Lexington Ave) was quite loud, and this seems consistent with other reviews.

The gym is very large for a Manhattan hotel, with several machines and free weights.

The downstairs bar suits everyone from groups to individual business travellers.

Would I stay again? Yes.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bradley H
Nadria B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear BradboxUK,

We are happy that you gave us an opportunity to "WOW" you despite some unflattering reviews! We pride ourselves in providing our guests with great stays. At the Doubletree Metropolitan, guests' satisfaction is our goal. Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your feedback.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the DoubleTree Metropolitan during a weekend trip to NYC courtesy of LivingSocial. The room was small, but very clean and it was fairly quiet during our stay. I liked the location of the hotel because it was away from the business of Times Square, but still close enough to the theater and restaurants as well as Rockefeller Center and Central Park. Also, there are a lot of nice little restaurants and cafes around this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nursenikki80
Dear Nursenikki80,

Thank you for taking the time out to write such a wonderful review about our hotel. We pride in our hotel's location and service that we provide. I will be sure to share your comments with my team. We look forward to having you again so that you can let us know how we are doing.

Missouri
Reviewed June 11, 2013

As a first time visitor to New York I can say that you really can't beat the location of this hotel if your goal is to see a lot of tourist stuff (times square, central park, 5th avenue, Rockefeller center, etc...). It is an easy walk to these attractions. You are also super close to a subway line that will get you anywhere else you need to go. The hotel itself is fine. I don't have other NY hotels to compare it to, but the staff were helpful, the room was a decent size, and everything was clean. The only thing I really noticed sort of negative wise is that you can really hear the doors of other rooms closing. Not really that big of a deal. I cannot complain about lack of a coffee maker as it really wasn't a big deal to run next door to cafe metro to grab a cup. I mean really - I've never found hotel coffee to be great anyway. Also for all the people worried about no free internet... Uh remember when you used to go on vacation and not even think about internet because it didn't exist and everything generally turned out ok... things are still ok with no free access to internet..you can survive without it for a few days- You are in New York for goodness sakes, get out and look around a bit. facebook, yelp, email, amazon, etc.. will still be there for you when you get back. For people that may actually need internet (business folks,, etc) for work purposes - there are a ton of places with free WiFi close to here. Price wise, we got a good deal on priceline and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Also to note in response to others comments - Yes, they will charge you a small fee to hold your bags and while many hotels will not charge a fee, I have run across this practice in other parts of the country /world (Florida, Chicago, and Dublin to name a few). So in short, this is a good place to stay that doesn't cost a fortune with an excellent location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hulagirl98
Nadria B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear hulagirl98,

Thank you for taking the time to write your honest opinion about our hotel and highlighting the positives. I am elated that you were pleased with the helpfulness of our staff and also our convenient location. We expect to see you soon so you can keep others updated on how we are doing.

Thank you for choosing the Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan Hotel!!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 10, 2013

For guests who want to stay at the Double Tree New York, please be reminded that the hotel charges you for the luggage storage service. To deposit your luggage, one dollar for one bag per one day. And another one dollar for one bag per one day when you retrieve your belongings. What an impressive welcome. I had a separate booking for stay at this hotel as I had to be out of town. I ended up paying my price of leaving my suitcases with them (as a returning guest).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for taking the time out to write a review about our hotel. Your comments are appreciated and duly noted. I just wanted to let you know that the baggage fee is charged to each guest wishing to store their luggage with the hotel ( be it a first time or a returning guest). I must apologize for your dissatisfaction with this procedure, however, this is a decision currently under management review. Thanks for your patience while we address this issue.

Guest experience Manager
Essex
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We booked a 5-night break through British Airways with a mini-bus transfer to and from JFK. Everything went smoothly. The hotel was clean, the staff were friendly and very helpful. The room sizes were adequate and the hotel was at most a 30-minute walk away from Times Square. We enjoy walking so to us a host of the major attractions were just a stroll away (Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, Rockefella Centre, Grand Central Station, Central Park etc etc). The concierge service was top-notch. We were on the 5th floor and the free wi-fi in the lobby still worked, We never ate in the hotel not for any negative reason but because part of the fun is seeking out local diners. There is a self-service Cafe Metro literally next door but our favourite was the Blooms on the junction of 40th Avenue.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BilboandSmaug
Dear BilboandSmaug,

Thank you for taking the time out to write such a wonderful review on our hotel. We love the positive feedback and do look forward to have you stay with us next time you are in the Big Apple!!
Thanks for choosing the Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan Hotel!

Los Angeles
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This hotel has not chic but excellent location. Lexington close to the #6 train. It is part of Hilton and my room was very cheap by ny standards, close to $200 per night. Room size is good, beds very comfy, decor is decent. The hotel is a bit noisy in that when the door next room over closes, you feel it in your room. There seems to be a lot of package deal tourists in here too. And they do nickel and dime you for wifi which I am not a fan of. There are good places to eat within walking distance however and you are close to midtown central, especially the Relais de Venise, a great French prix fix steakhouse. In terms of price compared to Omni Berkshire Place, Shoreham 2 other hotels I stay at, this one is definitely cheaper so you can spend the $50 less per day on food or being a tourist. Depending on price, I would stay here again as it is good value for a multi-day stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the elevators so you dont hear so much noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kimparklee,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review about our hotel. We appreciate your honest feedback . I can see that you were pleased with the overall stay at our hotel and for this we are pleased.It is our aim to provide our guest with 100% guest satisfaction. As it relates to the internet fee , we do offer complimentary access in the lobby for guest use.

We hope to see you again so you can let us know how we are doing!

Cypress, Texas
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I spent two nights at the Doubletree Metropolitan and was very pleased with my experience. I must say I was a bit apprehensive about staying at this hotel, based on some of the reviews I have read, but chose it because of the location and the relative low cost of a room compared to other Hilton chain properties in Manhattan (including Hampton Inns). I need not have worried. I was quite pleased.

I was in Room 1529. While I would not call the room large, it was plenty spacious for two double beds. It was easy to walk around in the room and plenty of floor space between each bed and the wall. Desk and counter space was a bit tight, but efficiently laid out. The room decor was certainly not traditional hotel room decor, but it was nicely done and added character to the room. The room was very clean. On a cloudy day, the room will be a bit dark inside even in midday. The sheer curtains being pulled probably made it a bit darker. On the other hand, with the blackout curtains pulled, daylight is not likely to waken you. However, for those looking for bright and airy hotel rooms, the rooms in this hotel may not be your best choice.

The bathroom in the room was small. There was adequate counter space, but for those looking for a large bathroom and lots of counter space, you may want to look elsewhere.

My laptop has been recently having wi-fi issues and I ended up spending 35 minutes on the phone with the manufacturer after the trip, but I experienced a lot of dropped connections while in the hotel, and occasional slow speeds. My laptop showed numerous wi-fi networks in range when I tried to connect. And, let's be frank, Hilton's system of logging onto internet access is a bit painful at times. To be honest, I think some of the problems I was experiencing were the result of my laptop, not the hotel wi-fi system. However, the heavy usage of internet access and from what I could tell, the lack of a wired connection option in the room are something to be aware of if you are planning critical internet usage during your stay.

The breakfast buffet is plentiful and the seating area appeared sufficient at 8:45 on a Monday morning. The process used to comp Hilton Gold and Diamond members was very efficient both for the guest and the hotel. Would hold it up as a best practice. The greeter took your room number and gave you a voucher to give to the waiter with your room number and the reason for your complementary breakfast circled on the voucher (which they could determine from their guest list).

As other reviewers have noted, I think this hotel has a great location. Good access to subways. Plenty of places to eat nearby, a Barnes & Noble three blocks away, and a Duane Reade (Walgreen's) across the street. Rockefeller Center, Grand Central and Central Park are all within a 15-20 minute walk.

I think the real test of any review is would the guest return to the location. As it turns out, I am heading back to New York City four weeks after my initial stay at this hotel. I booked my return stay at the Doubletree Metropolitan today.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms face away from 51st Street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jbtexas
Nadria B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear jbtexas,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your honest feedback on our rooms comfort , location and amenities. It is wonderful that you had an enjoyable stay with us as our guest satisfaction is of utmost importance. I will be sure to report your internet connectivity issues with our IT department. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Thank you for choosing he DOubletree by Hilton Metropolitan Hotel!

Guest Experince Manager