“Nice hotel. Close to everything”

Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City
Ranked #336 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Went to New York for vacation. It was very close to everything. Was able to walk to Broadway Theatre in the Theatre district, was able to walk to Central Park, was able to walk to Times Square, also 10 feet away from Subway 51st station so easy to get from airport. Got there during middle of day so didn't want to be stuck in traffic so we took the train. Very easy and fast plus I wanted to try out the amazing New York 4 level subway system. Hotel has a very nice modern decor and staff was very helpful. Room is comfy but bathrooms are very small. Very nice fitness center for a hotel with some modern equipment. My daughter was sad there was no pool but everything else was nice. Concierge was very helpful getting us around town. He recommended double decker tour bus which we ended up taking and it was a good move as we were able to visit a lot of sites within a short time. Too bad Statue of Liberty was closed due to the flooding but it will reopen July 4 supposedly for those of you wanting to visit it. Overall a nice stay and price was good since I booked thru Hotwire and got a 30% discount. One other kudos, they were able to check me in early which was nice so we could get in our room and relax before starting our sight seeing.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank depazed
MitzieS_13, Front Office Manager at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear depazed,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Fortunately, we are centrally located and walking to distance to several attractions. We do hope for many more future visits! Thank you for choosing Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,010)

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I was really disappointed by Doubletree Metropolitan Hilton. At check-in the lady did not even say I hello, but just asked: what is your name? No smile whatsoever. But yes, I got the cookie at check-in, honestly I would have preferred a nice hello. The room was ok, small is obviously a New York standard, clean. Not very thought through that you have to run 5 minutes through the room to turn on all the lights - because there is no general lamp that enlightens the whole room at once.
What really annoyed me apart from the very poor service was that I paid around 300 Dollars per night for 1 person - and then they charge you EXTRA for internet (15 Dollars per day) and for the luggage storage (2 Dollars per piece). This is really ridiculous! Especially if you can go to the wonderful coffeehouse next door, get a great Latte for 4 Dollars and free wifi internet with it included!

1  Thank meadowvalley9

Dear Meadowvalley9,

Thank you for sharing your visit with us. Please accept my apologies, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. There is complimentary WIFI in our Lobby, we also have a Business Center open 24 hours with free internet. I will be sure to pass along your comments to the respective departements for follow up. Thank you for choosing Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I would recommend avoiding this hotel. At first it seems good value for a 4 star hotel but by the time they add ridiculous charges for absolutely everything and you look at how shabby the hotel is, how poor the service is, how unpleasant the staff are, you realise you could have got a lot better value for money elsewhere. I will never stay at a Doubletree by Hilton due to this bad experience. Not a nice way to start a stay in New York with such unhelpful and unpleasant staff.

2  Thank Gemstar888

Dear Gemstarr888,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please accept my apologies, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, I will be sure to pass along your comments to the rest of the team for follow up. Thank you for choosing Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Recent weekend stay in April, celebrating a sibling's 50th b'day. Having nothing negative about our accommodations made the trip even more wonderful. Vicki at Check-In was amazing helping secure our entire party on the same floor, upgraded to the 16th. Here's the lowdown:

Pros:
- amazing Travelzoo offer that included great rate, wifi and "welcome" drinks
- great location in Midtown; walking distance everywhere
- subway entrance (#6) right on corner
- Starbucks across street and pharmacy next door (CVS a block down)
- delicious complimentary cookies -- anytime
- able to open windows slightly
- did not hear any noise from hallways or other rooms, though the doors slammed shut quite loudly

Cons (all minor):
- hotel bar wasn't open in afternoon or served food
- elevators, when packed, still stopped on floors for people wanting to get on
- bathroom was tight esp. the shower/toilet area

Overall, great stay and I'd would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on an upper floor. Essa Bagels (?) is near by for breakfast.
2  Thank AJY8

Dear Ajy8,

Thank you for your feedback. Your comments are greatly appreciated. I will be sure to pass them along to the rest of the team! Essa Bagel is walking distance from the hotel, nice spot to grab a quick breakfast. We look forward to many more future visits! Thank you for choosing Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have stayed here twice. Always a friendly greeting and a warm cookie! The staff is very helpful. Great location. Stayed on the 11th floor this time, the room was considerably smaller than the first stay but still large compared to NYC standards. I will absolutely return.

1  Thank hansen053

Dear hansen053,

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you would return for another visit. We look forward to many more! Thank you for choosing Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

While the rooms are clean, modern and comfortable and the location is great, that is all I can say to recommend the DoubleTree. The staff acts as if they are doing you a favor to help you, they are always under-staffed so you wait forever for the poor service they offer, and they don't seem overly eager to help. One morning, I was the only one in the lobby trying to make a phone call and the TV was blaring. I asked if they could lower the volume, but all I got was, "I don't have the remote. I will see what I can do." The TV remained at the same volume and no one ever came to look at it or even give an explanation for not being able to do anything.

To top it off, they charge to store your bags on the last day. But they don't tell you that until you have given them everything. It cost us 12 USD to store our bags for a few hours. I find that to be the most insulting part. Seriously, you did not make enough off the high room and food charges? I have never been asked to pay for bag storage before ...

I could NOT recommend this hotel to anyone hoping to be treated with even a little common courtesy.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
MitzieS_13, Front Office Manager at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Stacey M,

Thank you for your feedback. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Please accept my apologies, i am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Please be assured that your comments have been communicated to the respective deparments. There is a charge for storage luggage, $1.00 to store ans $1.00 to pick up. This is a managment decision that is currently under review. Thank you for choosing Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I went to NY for a girls weekend with my cousin. We got a deal on living social, at least a deal for NYC. This hotel was clean, modern, convenient and spacious. This front desk staff was great. I wanted to leave a review because I realized 6 days after I left that I had left 2 pairs of shoes there. I figured they were gone forever. I was so happy to find out that they had them when I called. They mailed them out and I got them today. Thank you! I would definitely stay there again!

Dear Julie R 70,

Thank you for sharing your visit with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We are happy to hear that you would come back for another visit. We look forward to many more! Thank you for choosing Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan!