“Reputation restored”

Ranked #327 of 467 Hotels in New York City
The Americas
“Reputation restored”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Ever since I was a kid I have frequented this centrally located New York hotel. First it was the Summit Hotel, then the Loews Summit, then the Loews New York, then the Metropolitan and finally the Doubletree Metropolitan. Last time around however I had the worse experience staying during renovations. That time, my review was so bad, that Trip Advisor asked me to confirm it. I decided to give the hotel a chance. I booked at an excellent rate compared to similar properties and got more than I expected. The newly renovated room is very practical and well designed. The hotel is built around the Manhattan theme. The elevator music is a bit loud though. They are very generous to Hilton Honors Gold Members and offer a full american breakfast buffet. The servers have all worked for many years in the property and are very nice. The front desk is well tended and they give out cookies, yes, a lot of delicious cookies. There is courtesy internet in the public areas. The lobby is a bit too dark for my liking. After hours a security guard stands by the elevator and that certainly makes me feel safer. As NYC is an overpriced city, the Doubletree Metropolitan is probably one of the best deals in town. Its location is outstanding and the new renovated facilities make it well worth staying there. The gym equipment needs a little bit of work Congratulations on turning around this property!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor on the Lexington Avenue Side
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MitzieS_13, Front Office Manager at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear Viajero ESQ.,

Thank you for sharing your experience. This is a wonderfull story to hear that you visited this location as a child and now again as an adult. It was a very trying period here at the Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan during renovations. We are happy to hear you gave us another opportunity to turn things around. Gold and Diamond members can enjoy full American Breakfast, we look forward to many more future visits! Thank you for choosing Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I were very happy with our stay at the Doubletree, and pleasantly surprised with the hotel! We got a room on one of the upper floors facing and apartment building. Certainly not the best view, but it was the quietest night we've spent in a hotel in NYC (would rather have no view than have to wear earplugs to sleep!). The room was a very nice size and clean. The queen bed was super comfortable. The bathroom was modern and a very good size as well. The location can't be beat!! We had a couple of drinks at the lobby bar and the bartender was really attentive. All the staff was really friendly and helpful. And I love the cookies!!! We've stayed at several hotels in NYC and we agree that for the price this is a great option, based on room size, comfort, and location. I don't mind not having a coffee maker in the room since there are so many good (and cheap) options nearby, and let's face it, hotel coffee is not the best. Please do re-think charging to store the bags, I have not encounter this in any other hotels. Will definitely not hesitate to book here again!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Maria C.,

We are glad you enjoyed your stay! Your lovely comments are greatly appreciated! There is currently a fee for storing luggage, this is a Management decision that is currently under review. We look forward to many more future visits. Thank you for choosing Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan!
memphis
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I just returned from three nights in NYC. The first couple of days were quite warm and our room on the third floor overlooking generators and equipment was very hot and stuffy. I couldn't figure out why the AC wasn't working so I called the front desk. It was explained that the whole building ac unit wasn't turned on b/c of the outside temperature and I could open a window. That did cool off the room, but I could only keep it open for a few min b/c of the annoying noise from equipment. The staff was nice and brought up a fan, but really, no AC? I"ve never heard of not having adjustable thermostats in every room. Like other reviewers, I missed the coffeemaker too. Upon checkout, we asked to store our luggage and we were told it would be a four dollar fee--two at the drop off and two at the pickup. That left a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak. It costs the hotel nothing to store luggage for customers who spent $$$ at their hotel. Consequently, we asked for a late checkout and got 12:45 and after further begging, got 1:00. Wouldn't it be more time efficient to their cleaning staff to have the room empty in the am and store our bags? Speaking of cleaning, housekeeping knocked on our door at 7:45 on a Saturday morning to clean the room. That's absurd. I gave this hotel a four instead of a three but really felt it was somewhere in between.
The location was great and the price was decent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Caoh,

Thank you for taking the time and consideration of sharing your experience. We greatly appreciate your feedback.Please accept my apologies for any inconvinience you may have experienced. Housekeeping should never knock on any door before 9am. Also, please be informed that we offer complimentary late check out to all of our guests until 1pm. I will be sure to share your comments to the rest of the team for follow up. Unfortunately, there is a storage fee for luggage. $1.00 to store and $1.00 to pick up per piece, this is a Management decision that is currently under review. Thank you for choosing Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan.
Burlingame, California
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I chose this hotel because of the location and because we are trying to accrue Hilton Honors points. I found it very pleasant, friendly and comfortable. Location GREAT - midtown and right next to the Lexington Avenue subway line. Room was usual size, bed comfortable, plenty of pillows, good hot water. My husband found the lounge area tacky but I didn't mind. Less street noise that I would have guessed (could not hear traffic at all, just sirens). Wished for an in-room coffee maker in the mornings and a mini-refrigerator. Otherwise perfect for the money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Suzannah1234,

Thank you for your feedback! We greatly appreciate your comments, fortunally we are centrally located. We are walking distance from 5th Ave. and Subway just outside from the hotel. We look forward to many more visits! Thank you for choosing Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan.
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed at the Doubletree Metropolitan for 2 nights (midweek) whilst in NY on business trip. I didn't make the booking myself, but I'd read the reviews here and it all looked good - it was! The hotel is situated next door to the 51st subway, so getting downtown is not a hassle. It is close to Central Park, Times Sq and Grand Central Station. The room was very clean, the bed perhaps a little soft for my taste but sheets were brilliant white and spotless. As other reviewers have noted, the bathroom is tiny, but functional (& the shower had great water pressure). My only complaint is the lack of a kettle and coffee making facility in the bedroom - I cannot understand the managements logic for not providing this and every guest I spoke to grumbled about it. That said, the coffee shop next door to the hotel is excellent.
The cost of wifi in the bedroom is expensive, but guests can log in for free downstairs and in the next door coffee shop.
Staff were courteous and tried hard to please. I'd stay here again without question.

Room Tip: higher = quieter but also there are lower rooms that dont face the street which are very quiet (no v...
2 Thank Adm613
Dear Adm 613,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are happy to hear that you would return for another visit! You can enjoy coffee at the cafe just next door to us, which is open from 6am. You can also enjoy coffee from our Met Grill, or Room Service open from 6:30am-11am. We look forward to your next visit! Thank you for choosing Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I learned that you really get what you pay for, when i stayed here. I chose this place because of the affordable price in the NYC area and I had good experience with the brand before...

Pros - 1. Reasonable price for this area, one of the more low price option
2. Business center - Offered free print outs, copies etc.

Cons 1. Small rooms with small bed (Very European)
2. No coffee machine or tea. (Come on double tree)
3. They didn't give me my free COOKIE. I come to double tree for cookie!!!! Sorry, not cool.
4. Internet - $15 for basic and $17 for primier for a day!
5. Bag storage in concierage - $1 to store and $1 to pick up
6. No free breakfast, in fact really expensive breakfast. Bowl of oatmeal with raisins and sugar for $8 and $3 for delivery. The most expensive oatmeal that I have ever had! I went out for coffee!!! Really people.I think if you sneeze here you will be charged for something else.

Finally, I forgot my passport in the printer and went out side and realized it. Called the hotel back to ask them to keep it in reception. The answering person always told me that they will transfer me to front desk manager and then never did. I was transferred and it got to the same beginning loop and never connected me.I called 5 times, got tired of it. Took a taxi back and was relieved it to find it in printer. Phew...

I wasn't really impressed with their friendliness either.

Neutral point - I asked for late check out (12pm - normal time) and they were willing to push me to 1pm. (Good) but usually hotels have been nice enough to push it to 2pm so i wasn't too thrilled. They didn't say no at least? I probably won't stay here again!

1 Thank Simple-Miracle
MitzieS_13, Front Office Manager at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Simple-Miracle,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Please accept my apologies for any inconvinience you may have experienced. I will be sure to pass along your comments to the rest of the team. Our guests are always welcomed to our warm delicious cookies upon arrival or at any time they desire. I do hope you change your mind on returning back for future visits. Thank you for choosing Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

long island, NY
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Got this room for a great price through groupon... we were very presently surprised with the friendly staff and comfortable accommodations. Great location- right near St. Pat's and Rockefeller Center, close to 5th ave shops, a great selection of restaurants 2 blocks away between 2nd and 3rd avenues (recommended by a very nice front desk clerk). Doormen were very gracious about storing our bags (minimal $2 charge) when we checked in well ahead of check in time (free cookies at check-in!). Went to a show- about a mile to Broadway, we chose to walk but you could also grab a cab. Room was on the small side but very comfortable and not tiny; queen size bed looked and felt more like a full but that seems to be the standard in NYC. Quiet- a bit of hallway noise during the day but no disturbances at night. Front desk hooked us up with a late check-out (Yay!). If you are not in need of fancy accommodations, then this is a great choice. Would return and would recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank STTandPMZ
Dear STT and PMZ,

Thank you for your feedback, we greatly appreciate your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to many more visits. Thank you for choosing Doubletree by Hilton Metropolitan!