“Very good central midtown location”

Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City
Ranked #329 of 468 Hotels in New York City
McTown Texas
“Very good central midtown location”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I've stayed at the D-tree Metropolitan approx. 4 times in the past few months when traveling to NYC on business. The hotel has a great central location to all midtown offices and attractions. The guest services employees and doormen are very courteous. The hotel is frequented by many international visitors, and the lobby is always full of a diverse guest base. The rooms are routinely very clean and fairly quiet given that the hotel is always extremely busy. There is a drugstore nearby on the corner, and a decent quick casual restaurant is next door.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I hate to give this hotel 2 stars. The people at the front desk were very friendly, and the hotel itself seemed great, especially for the price and location. But I have to be honest: TripAdvisor defines 3 stars as "Average," and this was definitely a below-average stay.

Our first room was not vacuumed, the furniture had large gouges in it, the paint was peeling on the hinges on the bathroom door, and the back of the closet door had a hole in it the size of a baseball. I asked for another room, and was very generously upgraded to a room with a bigger bed and better view.

The second room was much better... until I got into the bathroom. The toilet was so high it was uncomfortable to use. I had to place my feet on the trash can. I'm not short either; I'm 6'1". Then, when I used the shower, the bathtub faucet shot off from the water pressure with such force, it hit the opposite wall. It sounded like a gunshot; the force was large enough that it could break a leg, or even kill someone if they were laying down in the tub. Less lethal, but equally annoying, was the impromptu power-shower I got while being hosed by the exposed water pipe.

I called downstairs immediately. A lady told me to hold on, and transferred me to a line that didn't pick up. I called again, and I was told an engineer would be up to "help you with your problem." No engineer arrived, and I left for my meetings without my morning shower. On my way out, I talked to the front desk, who had no record of my previous two phone calls. I did, however, finally receive an apology, along with a promise that a manager would call me. I never received the call.

After my meetings, I came back to the front desk to ensure my bathroom was fixed before I went to my room. Amazingly, there was STILL no record of my previous complaints, except for a note that I was apparently displeased with my carpet (?!). I was offered the room next door. However, when I got back to my room, the bathroom had been fixed, and the bathtub faucet was securely in place. The other room they offered still had the problem with the high toilets, so I decided to stay put.

I usually really like Hilton hotels, and Doubletrees in particular, due to their amazingly comfortable beds. This location was no exception in that regard, but I just can't bring myself to give a better review than this, considering the overall quality of my stay here.

Room Tip: North-facing rooms have a bit more light and better views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul_S52

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Florida
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I had a perfectly comfortable, clean, updated king room on the 15th floor, overlooking a nearby building and mechanical areas below....so no view. The room and bath wet small but well equipped. Mattress and linens were very comfortable and the selection of pillows was excellent. Plenty of hot water and pressure in the bath. All staff from desk, to maids, to bellman to restaurant were friendly and helpful. Right next door is super cheap, breakfast cafe with a good selection, so skip the hotel's $$16. breakfast buffet. Location is great, Midtown, whether you walk or grab a subway or head uptown or downtown. Parking is $$$ if you bring a car. For under $175., a night, this was a good choice.

Room Tip: Get a high floor on side opposite Lexington Ave. for the quietest room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
edinburgh
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel between 28 December 2012 and 4 January 2013. On reading reviews prior to arriving I had a few concerns. Don't know what all the fuss was about!
I had read that check in could be a problem if you were early (before 3 pm). We arrived at 2 20 pm and were dealt with very quickly with no problems and in our room on the 10th floor by 2 30 pm. The cookie was lovely too. Our room overlooked the police station and noise was not a problem. The room was a good size, the shower was very good, the bed was huge and very comfy and plenty room for clothes in cupboards. Room was smart and clean and although we were next to the lift we had no problems with noise. I had also read that waiting times for the lifts was an issue. Not in our experience
Hotel is located right next to 6 and E subway lines which was a huge bonus and very easy to navigate for first timers.
No coffee in room but starbucks and other vendors right outside the front door, so we headed out early and grabbed a brew most mornings.
Wi fi worked well in the lobby which had plenty room to lounge in whilst catching up on line.

Staff were great. No problems at reception and good advice from concierge for places to eat etc. I also arranged airport transfer from the hotel concierge for a great rate.
All round this is a great location. Very comfortable and handy for subway but also very close walking distance to so many places including times square and central park. I would recommend a stay and would use the hotel again no problem.

Room Tip: 10th floor overlooking 51st was ideal.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Have to say was impressed with the DTM, especially with the warm cookies at checkin!

Its location is pretty good, right on Lexington Av just a few short blocks down from Bloomingdales and Central Park, and a moderate walk from 5th Av, Times Square and all the attractions that surround. Plus it’s right next door to the Subway E Line which goes direct to JFK.
Rooms are good sized for Manhattan, certainly didn’t feel small, with a spacious enough bathroom. Beds were pretty comfortable too, definitely had no problem sleeping.
Whilst there is some external noise from outside (and given you’re in the heart of Manhattan, you’d be pretty lucky to get no outside noise), it certainly wouldn’t stop me from recommending this hotel or staying there again. Were times when you could be waiting a bit for the lifts.

One bonus was the free use of the internet in the Business Centre (which can be accessed 24hrs a day via your room key). There’s also a airline checkin PC in reception to allow you to do online checkin before heading to the airport.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Stockton, UK
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stopped here for 5 nights over the New Year and I was impressed with most of the services offered. Check in was fast and easy and the room was warm, clean and spacious with everything other than from coffee and tea making facilities.

Fit folk can walk to most of the main tourist attractions within 20-30 minutes whilst the not-so-fit can walk to the subway within 10 seconds. I did not use the restaurant but I did use the bar which was expensive and the Wi Fi was intermittent but there were always lots of people in the lobby using it.

Other reviewers have complained about the $2 charge for luggage storage but I thought it was worth it for the good advice and hospitality offered by the bell boys.

Room Tip: Take the private black cabs that the bell boy's can arrange for you.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mackyUK
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at the Doubletree Metropolitan as part of our wedding anniversary trip.

It's located nicely on E51st & Lexington and great if you want to wander around New York - quite a few Delis and Fast Food outlets within 30 seconds walk of the door.

The room itself was pretty basic, the lock on the bathroom door was busted but since it was just the two of us in the room that didn't really matter. The hotel staff were friendly, with a nice bar downstairs.

The subway station is just around the corner (we could see it from the room) and the famous grate where Marilyn Monroe got her skirt blown up - sadly my wife didn't want to re-create the scene.....

The local fire station is just next door, so it can be a bit noisy sometimes but hey, you're in the city that never sleeps and you get used to the background noise pretty quickly.

All in all a nice pleasant hotel that could just do with a bit of TLC but great as a base to explore NYC from :-)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple