Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City
Ranked #327 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC
“Decent”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Considering its great location, this is a good choice for the price.

The location is excellent - within walking distance to Rockefeller, central park, 5th avenue shopping. The subway is right there as well. We thought the hotel staff's service was great. The rooms are small (but to be expected) and the way the windows are made, the room feels a bit like a bunker, but we didn't spend much time there. It was quiet though during the night so we got great sleep.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jennifer U, Rooms Controller at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you so much for your review! We hope you visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (680)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cape Cod
Reviewed December 26, 2012

This is a nice middle of the road place to stay.. Very comfortable, a bit quirky in the shape of the rooms/building. Nice lobby, comfortable bed.. The location is great. On the east side, where this hotel is, you have better neighborhoods than farther downtown. A great coffee/breakfast sandwich place is right around the corner. 2 blocks east to 3rd Ave. is a whole bunch of small restaurants & pubs. Subway entrances are right outside, as well as 1 block over. Bar is way overpriced - don't bother. Go down to 3rd Ave. instead.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your great review! I am so glad you had a great stay and we hope you will visit again soon!
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2012

From check in to check out we had a very enjoyable stay at this hotel.The staff were very helpful and friendly.The room was very clean with two queen sized beds a nice size bathroom with a bath and shower and nice free toiletries. One comment to this hotel please supply tea/coffee facilities in the rooms this would be a really nice touch that most other hotels provide as standard.We didn't eat in the hotel at all so cannot comment on the food although we did use the bar which was really expensive.This hotel is within a 5/10 minuets walk to many of the attractions like Time Square,Grand Central Station,5th Ave,Empire State Building and the Rockerfellow centre to name a few. All in all for location,cleanliness etc I would recommend this hotel to fellow travellers.

Room Tip: We were on the ninth floor good views
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jennifer U, Rooms Controller at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you so much for a great review! We are so glad you had a great stay and we hope to see you again soon!
Tampa
Reviewed December 25, 2012

A (surprisingly) competitively priced hotel. Well located for access to anything midtown. With a E subway station outside there is good access to downtown, while maintaining easy access to the local midtown restaurants. I'd skip the breakfast in the hotel and venture out to the many local places.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PaulTampa
Jennifer U, Rooms Controller at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you so much for your review! I am so glad you enjoyed the great location of our hotel!

We hope to see you again soon for another great stay!
Ballston Spa, New York
Reviewed December 20, 2012

First I have to say that after shopping around the combination of location and price drew me to this hotel. I paid $139 (plus all the outrageous taxes) for a stay just before Thanksgiving, which was better than comparable properties in the area. MId-town Manhattan has never been a cheap place to stay so I considered this as much a bargain as I could have.

One definite plus was that if you didn't opt to walk the few blocks from Grand Central as I did, the subway with direct service to GC with all its great connections was just a few steps away from the front door of the hotel. It was also easy walking distance to many other attractions.
Even though I was not dressed to NYC standards and arrived for an overnight stay with so little luggage that the bellhop didn't even approach me, I was greeted very warmly by the reception personnel.

After receiving my keys and warm delicious cookie I headed up to my room. Unfortunately neither of my room keys seemed to work (a constant problem now that I've looked at other reviews--what's up with that?). Even though it was around 5 PM there was a housekeeper still working in a nearby room and she graciously got my card to work. However before I left for a little evening outing I re-tried the key and I still didn't have the right touch. Another pleasant encounter at the desk--she reissued my keys and told me that it could be the battery on the lock was weak--never heard of that before but thought it made sense. The new key worked when I returned. (Maybe it's a problem with the key coder at the desk?)

I was delighted that I had been upgraded to a King Room even with a prepaid rate--it was spacious by NYC standards. From the sounds of some other reviewers the standard rooms can be something like I've experienced in many cities in Europe (barely enough room for each person to put their feet on their side of the bed). I was delighted by my clean and well-appointed room here. I was happy that unlike most American hotels, I could actually open a window, although not very far. My room was on the Lexington St. side and I enjoyed looking out on the hustle and bustle of the city but I was far enough up that the street noise didn't bother me when the window was closed while I was sleeping.

I explored the lobby bar and found it pleasant and relaxing with great service. But since no one was eating there I opted for room service--I'd had a tiring day and didn't feel like going far. Unfortunately the chicken pesto sandwich was a disappointment. The chicken was overcooked and tough, the roll had been previously frozen--it had huge flakes falling off of it. At $18 plus taxes and other add-ons I expect a bit better.

While the late check-in time (3 PM) is a problem for some, the noon check-out time which was extended to 1 PM for me was a nice plus by American standards. While I didn't use the baggage storage I can understand the charges--as it was explained to me it's to compensate the bellhops for their efforts. In retrospect $1 per bag doesn't seem like such a big deal if it's going to the guy handling the bags responsibly. In other hotels I've tipped the bellhops for their assistance--here I guess the management helps the guest do what's right? (Can the management verify that this money goes directly to the staff?)

All in all, a good stay. I would come here again and recommend it to a friend.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Jennifer U, Rooms Controller at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Thank you so much for your review! I am so glad you had an overall great stay!

We hope to see you again soon!
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I've stayed here twice in the last few years; most recent, early December 2012. The hotel is convienent for business and pretty darn good for sight seeing (less than 10 minute walk to Rockefeller Center). There's plenty of restaurants within walking distance as cabs are incredibly scarce at dinnertime in this area. You can always walk to Grand Central and get a cab. Elevators are a little crowded but the service level overall is above average. Restaurant is a little expensive but offers a very nice breakfast. Of course you get a warm cookie when you check in.

Room Tip: Not much to see so go for a lower floor to save time on the elevator.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for a great review! We hope to see you again soon for another great stay!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We really likes this hotel for its location to midtown and Bloomingdales. The room was modern, clean and even quiet for NYC. We didn't spend much time in the lobby or eating any food from the restaurant/bar but we found the staff here quite friendly. The housekeeping dept. kept the room nice and clean and I LOVED the fluffy towels. THe bed was average (my back ached a little because I sleep on an extra firm mattress at home) Overall, I would reccomend to anyone traveling to New York to see all the sights.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevator.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for a great review! We are so glad you able to take advantage of the great location of our hotel!

We hope to see you again soon!