“Great place to stay in NYC”

Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City
Ranked #327 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Irvine, California
“Great place to stay in NYC”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at the Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan the weekend of the (cancelled) NYC Marathon, so it was completely booked with marathoners and those without electricity due to Hurricane Sandy. We arrived early Friday morning on the red eye and they held our luggage (for a fee) until a room was ready. The front desk staff were friendly and professional, and I really appreciated their effort to find us a room before the official check in time as I was unable to sleep on the plane and nearly delirious by noon.

I'm over the trendy boutique hotels where rooms are the size of a shoe box. I want comfort and the room we had (a king) was clean and a good size, especially for NYC. The bed was really comfortable and I appreciated the outlets located on the nightstand so I could continue to use my ipad while charging. We had some problems adjusting the thermostat, but I think that was more due to user incompetence. My primary complaint about the room would be about the size of the bathroom. The sink was located separately outside of the bathroom, so it was just the shower and the toilet in there - and the bathroom was just big enough to fit those two.

The hotel location is great. You can easily walk to so many places nearby - Central Park, shopping, restaurants, and the subway stop. There's also a Duane Reade across the street if you want to buy snacks/drinks for the hotel room. I would stay here again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Jennifer U, Rooms Controller at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you so much for a great review! We are so glad you had a great stay and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to NYC!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (680)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The location is good, but the service was really terrible. The front desk staff was rude, and the room was not clean. Further, when I called the desk, they forwarded the call to some random places, e.g., a kitchen. I understand that they are busy, but they should ask to wait, instead of forwarding the call to other irrevalent places with saying busy!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Kbae
Thank you for letting us know about your stay! I apologize that you had a dissapointing experience with the front desk. I will be sure to pass this along to the Director of Front Office Operations. We want to be sure we are accomodating and helpful to all of our guests, and I regret that we failed to meet that expectation during your stay.

We hope that you will consider staying with us again during your next visit to NYC!

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 18, 2012

As everyone has mentioned, the location is great. The clientele are international, which makes for great conversations at the bar, the rooms are very decent (although upgrades would be recommended). The service was the worst part - check in was pleasant, but the bar staff are terrible. I just went up to the bar myself after waiting 30 minutes for the server to come with a menu and then another 20 minutes for him to come back from my drink order. The gift shop and the front desk staff that I met when not checking in, those service reps were the worst. The gift shop in the hotel is supposed to be open until 11pm, unfortunately, it was not open two out of the three evenings I was staying there. There is a drug store just north of the hotel, but when you've worked all day, gone to a work event all evening, and all you want is to go to your room with a water or whatever quick snack, and the shop says it should be open on the hours, then it better be open. After going to the front desk the first night, I found the shop clerk just gossiping with the front desk staff and then instead of coming to open the store, made me wait several minutes until she finished her conversation. The second night, the front desk person rudely kept asking me for a detailed list of what I wanted to purchase. When I asked if the store was going to reopen that evening the front desk woman told me that I could go to the drug store because the clerk closed the store because she felt like it. Of course I know that I can go to the drugstore. The point is the store is there, the hours say it's open, I don't want to run around, and it's cold outside.

1 Thank aja9p9
Thank you for letting us know about your stay! I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. I will be passing these comments onto the appropriate departments for further review.

We hope you will visit us again when you plan your next trip to NYC!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here during the weekend prior to Hurricane Sandy hitting New York. Upon arrival we were greeted by a pleasant receptionist who immediately noticed that my wife was heavily pregnant and offered us a free upgrade to a king sized bed. The room was reasonably sized, clean and comfortable. On initial viewing the bathroom appeared modern and clean however upon closer inspection it was apparent that it could have done with a refurb. Still clean though and perfectly adequate for our needs. Whilst Manhattan was in preparation for the hurricane on the Sunday evening there was a lot of activity in the reception area, with a large queue of people looking for a room at the last minute. The staff appeared to be coping well with this. There was only one occasion when I felt that one receptionist was being less than helpful when I was requesting information about accessing wifi but overall they were typically nice New Yorkens. Would recommend this hotel for people visiting New York on a city break who don't intend to spend much time in their room. It is ideally located next to the subway and is only a short walk away from all the main attractions.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steven S
Thank you so much for a great review! I am so glad you found the appropriate accomodations necessary during the hurricane. I hope that when you visit NYC again in the future that you will stay us again! We hope to see you soon!
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed here for a week having been transferred from our original hotel which had to close due to the storm. Whilst this wouldn’t have been our choice of hotel it is clean, the rooms and ok in size and location was very good. The rooms have been decorated but I could see that they were still in need of some TLC (attention to detail). Bathrooms very nice and clean. Very good maid service. Staff friendly and helpful. Wasn’t value in money compared to where we should have been staying but if you get a good deal I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jennifer U, Rooms Controller at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for letting us know about your stay! I am so glad you found our hotel to be an excellent place to be during the storm! We hope you are in NYC and will stay with us again soon!
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed two nights on a business trip. Efficient check-in and check-out. For the corporate rate paid, the room was larger than similarly priced Manhattan hotels. No restaurant except for breakfast but you are surrounded by better choices than a hotel restaurant. Located at the corner of 51st and Lexington with subway access on the same corner. The bar is small and offers burgers and sandwiches in the evening. Flat screen TV worked well.

Able to work in the room with a generously sized desk and office style chair which wasn't great but ok. Wireless internet was $16.95 per day and worked well with my company's VPN. A slower speed internet was available at a $2.00 discount.

Despite being street side, room was relatively quiet. Could tell big difference in noise level when opened window to get cooler air (window allowed to slide sideways about 4 - 5 inches.) First day was a warm day in November and only the heat was available. The HVAC system does not allow individual choice of running heat or air conditioning. You have individual room controls but in the winter, the HVAC system will not produce cooler air.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for letting us know about your stay! I sincerely apologize for the inconsistencies you experienced. I will be passing these comments onto the appropriate department heads for further review.

We hope to see you again soon!
New Jersey
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I travel to NYC on and off throughout the year. I always drive and utilize valet and bellman services. Normally I try to stay at the Hilton Times Square and have gotten to know the staff very well however they were sold out so I stayed at the DbleTree Metro. Upon arrival (and departure) I was shocked to see Robert Sierra, bellman who also works at the Hilton TS property. Robert is fantastic, always takes excellent care of my baggage, loads/preps my car and provides very personal and friendly service. If you see Robert, grab him. He'll take care of you. He's so good, he can work two hotels at once ; ) Thanks Robert. Great seeing you at the DbleTree property.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for such a great review! I am so glad you had such an amazing stay and we hope to see you again soon!