“OK Hotel, Marred by Poor Amenities and Bad HVAC”

Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City
Ranked #322 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Pacifica, CA
“OK Hotel, Marred by Poor Amenities and Bad HVAC”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

The hotel itself is OK, rooms are reasonably comfortable and you do get a cookie. but that doesn't make up for the fact that they have a terrible heating and cooling system.

I checked in and my room was 78 degrees according to the thermostat. I tried to cool it down, but warm air kept coming out of the air conditioner. When I talked to the engineer he said that the air conditioning was off "for the winter", even though it was over 70 degrees outside today in New York.

They might want to save a little money by putting in sub-standard cooling and heating - or just turning off the air conditioning. I could see a cheapo hotel doing that. But for more than $300 a night, I expect functioning HVAC.

My Hobbesian Choice - try to sleep with the window open and the incredibly loud street noise (impossible) or try to sleep in a room that's as warm as an oven (also impossible).

If you're here in the summer, I'm sure it's cool in the rooms. But don't try to stay here any other time.

I won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Come in the summer or not at all.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jennifer U, Rooms Controller at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay! I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with your HVAC system.

Like many hotels in NYC, we are a 2-pipe system which means we cannot supply heat and cooling at the same time, however, we do monitor and adjust it daily according to the outside temperature.

We hope that you will consider visiting us again on your next stay in NYC! We look forward to delivering an extraordinary stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orinda, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Doubletree on Lexington is just fine as long as you aren't looking for fancy. But with their high rates, you may want to keep looking. I was lucky to get an upgrade to the 18th floor, but I had colleagues who were on lower floors who were looking out at fans and smelling food for the duration of their stays. The front desk staff was inconsistent on both friendliness and helpfulness. We had a colleague who took ill on her stay and we needed to extend her stay for a night. We were on a group rate (which was still ridiculously high), and the woman at the front desk acted as though I was asking for the world. She told me over and again that I needed to talk to Sales, when I told her I didn't know how to reach them, she huffed and then finally dialed her phone for me, but handed over the receiver as though I had leprosy. She had absolutely no concern for one of her guests who had to be rushed to the hospital. Left a bad taste.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend a room higher than the 16th floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had in extended your room. I hope that you will still visit us again in the future for a stay that will exceed your expectations! We look forward to seeing you!
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

I'm staying here currently and am enjoying myself. I'm here for work but when I checked in the angel at the front desk, Vicki, took extra good care of me for no other reason then she could. She said she could tell I'm a nice person - how nice? Either way she moved me from the 2nd floor to the 14th floor in a nice sized room with a king size bed. I she also gave me some free breakfast coupons and free access to the internet. What a doll!

The rooms are cool for NY and a nice size (at least the one I'm in but I don't think it's special). Nice HD tv in the rooms and I even requested a fridge and got one with 30 minutes delivered to my room. I found everyone quite accommodating.

The only iffy spot are the valet guys. I pulled up tonight and the guy actually left and didn't comeback. I grabbed someone after waiting for 10 minutes by myself. It worked out so not a huge deal.

There's a bar and lounge downstairs that seems to be happening on most nights. It's def in a good spot - only a few blocks from timesquare. I would stay here again on biz for sure and maybe even on a private trip. I leave in a week so if things change - I'll up date it.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor so it's more quiet. Overall the hotel is quiet but you hear doors open and...
1 Thank underwaterman
Jennifer U, Rooms Controller at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
It is so great to see that you are having a wonderful stay so far! Please contact us at the Front Desk if there is anything else we can do to make your stay more enjoyable!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

One of the quietest rooms I've ever stayed in Manhattan. The room was also very, clean and comfortable. I enjoyed the 60s retro decor and the bartender was very, friendly.
It's nicely located in midtown as well. My minor complaints were paying to store my bags when I arrived early and lack of communication the doormen exhibited. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you so much for letting us know about your stay! I am so glad you loved the decor of our property! We hope to see you again soon!
Pennsylvania, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

When I reviewed this hotel a few months ago I loved the location but the service was terrible. The location is still great and convenient to everything in MIdtown - East. Check-in this time was great (thanks to Karen). This trip was just a one-night stay so I am not sure if the service is better or if I just was lucky in getting a better person at the front desk. I can tell you that thanks to the location this hotel is almost always packed. Book early if you want to get in.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for letting us know about your stay! I apologize that you have had inconvenient experiences in the past but I am so glad to see that you have gotten better service on your more recent stays! We are always striving to get better and better! We hope to see you again soon!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

I bought thru priceline, and i needed a room with 2 beds, i didn't know priceline gave you a 1 bed only, especially in NYC. The staff was really difficult to accomodate even paying for the difference. I called several times, with the request, and I was lied to twice. At the end they said they could not do it. So, don't count on them being accomodating.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for letting us know about your stay! I apologize that you found it difficult to upgrade your room. Unfortunately, we have to accomodate those guests who have booked for the room with 2 double beds and we can upgrade our other guests based on availability. I apologize if we did not have that availability. I hope that we will see you again soon when you visit us again at the DoubleTree by Hilton Metropolitan!
new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed last weekend and were pleased with the location and check in was very friendly and quick.The rooms seem to have been a little rushed to be made over as a piece of the skirting board feel off as my husband walked past and stuck to his leg!we spent the next few days sticking it back on which was quite funny .There was a big hole in the window ceiling and you can see the holes from previous fixtures in the bath room.Nice wallpaper and fittings but no coffee maker and no fan in the bathroom which it really needs.Overall good stay for the money.rooms are nice but a bit more attention to detail would have been nice.Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for letting us know about your stay! I will pass on all of your observations to the appropriate department heads for further review. Its great to see that you still had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit!