“Great Location, Huge Gym, Good Spa... A Bit Expensive”

Le Parker Meridien New York
Ranked #258 of 467 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco
“Great Location, Huge Gym, Good Spa... A Bit Expensive”
Reviewed May 27, 2010

I stayed at the Parker Meridien (sorry, it sounds weird to say "le" before English words... like "le FDR Drive") over a bridge weekend in NY. I hadn't stayed here before. The lobby was packed, and the hotel was completely booked, but the check-in process was efficient, if not effusive. I had booked a Jr. Suite, and the front-desk clerk told me I had been upgraded... to a Jr. Suite. I didn't understand, until I realized that there are about a dozen different room types in the hotel, and he had put me in a tower room. OK, so far so good. The room was on the small side, and no closing door between the sitting room and the bedroom (I sleep better w/ two doors between me and the hallway). The big swiveling TV / room-divider was pretty cool... in the 80s. But these are pretty minor gripes -- the room was spotlessly clean, reasonably attractive and had a really good shower.

I spent the weekend mostly hanging out midtown, near the hotel. I skipped the hotel breakfast -- the restaurant was jam-packed and loud -- and went to le Pain Quotidien (see, that sounds normal) on 7th and 58th. The neighborhood is great for upscale shopping, upscale eating, upscale people-watching, etc.

I worked out in the gym downstairs -- free for Starwood Platinum, $10 otherwise -- and this was the first nice surprise. It's a real gym -- a big one -- like the one I belong to in SF. So I could do a normal workout. I could have taken a spin class too. I also booked a massage in the spa -- great massage, nice-but-basic spa.

So, a very nice experience, on the whole. Minor gripe: really-really tiny lobby bar, so I always felt like I had to go somewhere else for a drink. Also, while I know Manhattan is expensive (duh) I felt like I paid for exactly what I got -- which is fair, of course, but I guess I've gotten spoiled by getting upgraded to really nice suites with park views and still paying for a regular room. The room I booked (with a corporate discount) was $450/night. Normally it would have been about $600. The room I stayed in normally goes for about $800/night.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
ParkerGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Le Parker Meridien New York, responded to this review, June 17, 2010
Dear SF Exec, Thank you for the witty and insightful review. Our gym Gravity does standout amongst the crowd. Certainly glad you enjoyed the various options. Did you check out our pool on the top of the hotel? Great views. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,225)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed May 25, 2010

I paid $279 for two nights for a room with 2-double beds (via the Starwood website). It was a fair price, but in hind sight I wouldn't pay a ton more money. The location is unbeatable - quick walk to Central Park, high end shopping and Time Square. The hotel itself is beautiful and the pool/roof top view is amazing. The staff was really friendly and quick when answering questions.

The draw backs would be the beds. Comfortable, but their using European doubles which are much smaller than American sizing. The pressure in the shower was really weak. I made a 4-minute phone call to a 267 number and it was $19.54 USD. Ouch for calling a local cell phone. They seemed really concerned with having 4 people in a room with double beds. They didn't charge us extra, but gave me the impression it wasn't going to be enjoyable or permitted.

Some people commented on the room temperature - didn't notice any problems. Also, I noticed other comments around fees for extra glasses etc. We ordered extra towels, glasses & pillows and zero charges were against our account.

Overall, good amenities and location and I'd go back...but it doesn't present a ton of value in my opinion.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank our2cents
Thank you for your review! As you mention our double rooms simply have not been designed to accommodate more than 2 people. I apologize if this was unclear and if it was not properly explained to you at check-in. Please feel free to contact me next visit, I will assign your room personally to ensure it suits your needs. guestrelations@parkermeridien.com
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 23, 2010

Based on the room rate of $350 before tax I expected better. Aside from the lobby which is exquisite the hotel looks dated. The big rotating TV stand in the middle of the room didn't help matters, and all it really did was take up space. Not to mention this is the first hotel I've stayed at in a couple of years that didn't have a flat screen in the room. Sun deck has nice veiws but the astro-turf and lawn furniture could use an upgrade.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
ParkerGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Le Parker Meridien New York, responded to this review, May 25, 2010
Thank you for your balanced review. The views are stunning. I apologize your TV was not. Keeping a "youthful" appearance is important to us... flat panel televisions will greatly assist. We have already begun replacing the older units. Feel free to contact me to discuss your specific stay, I am always glad to ensure a great return trip.

guestrelations@parkermeridien.com
New Kent, Virginia
Reviewed May 19, 2010

We spent 3 nights on business. I am Starwood gold, and the perks were good. I received a room upgrade, and late check-out. The concierge desk was quite helpful.
The location is superb for mid-town. Close to the park, and an easy walk to the theatre district, 5th Ave. shopping, and of course, lots of restaurants in the neighborhood. It's close to a couple of subway stations, too.
The room - a deluxe - was large, but the bathroom not so much. It had a single sink, and a shower/tub combo, but without the curved curtain rod that gives more room. 2 people can't fit in the bathroom. The bath amenities were fine.
Style is appealing.
Room amenities: The t.v. was flat screen, but old. I would have expected H.D. plasma, etc... You could not really say that the room amenities are state-of-the-art. There was an i-pod dock/player, but I couldn't get it to work, and there were no instructions.
The bed and pillows were comfortable. There were no bathrobes or slippers.
There is no concierge/club level, or lounge.
The public spaces are very nice. The lobby bar was cozy and comfortable. As previously mentioned, the rooftop pool and sun deck are great, and the views from up there are intoxicating.
This is not an inexpensive hotel, It has a lot going for it, but at this rate level one could reasonably expect more amenities.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
central Jersey
Reviewed May 13, 2010

It was a treat to have a short stay at the Le Parker Meridien in NYC. The room was beautiful and the service excellent. From Michael at the front desk to the house keeper on my floor, I was given 5 star treatment. Plus, the cartoons in the elevator actually made me wish for extra stops. Kuddos and great job to the staff. I cannot wait to stay there on my next trip.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
ParkerGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Le Parker Meridien New York, responded to this review, May 20, 2010
Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to your return!
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 12, 2010

Le Parker Meridien is a perfect location for tourists and business travelers. It's close to Central Park, Times Square, and right next to a subway stop. The staff were very friendly on check-in and check-out. High speed internet was very fast. Best of all is the fitness center - two floors with plenty of treadmills, exercise bikes, weight room, and more. I'll definitely be going back.

The rates can get pricey depending on the season so it's not always the best value. If you can get this hotel for under $300 per night, you should definitely book it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Thanks, we like you too! To keep informed of special LPM rates and offers, consider signing up for our "real deals" feature on our wesite.
Port Washington, New York
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Lovely stay for 2 nights for 2 native New Yorkers in need of two nights away. While we both work in the city it was great to have one work day morning w/out a commute and two 'date nights' out on the town. Our room was so quiet you could not hear a thing from other rooms/hallway/above/below/elevator and we are used to fine hotels. The service was first rate including Darius @ the front desk (Dominican Republic and a reader of our publication El Diario La Prensa so we made friends fast!). Down the st is a cute cuban place and "Thom Thom" Korean where I enjoyed a solo glass of champagne, spicy tofu soup and a quite moment of reflection. While the "Burger Joint" is a big draw, we skipped that in favor of pizza @ Big Nicks on Bway and breakfast @ Norma's...thank you!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank lizsarachekblacker
Wonderful! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and the city. We hope to see you again soon.