“Great stay at Le Parker Meridien”

Le Parker Meridien New York
Ranked #256 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Potomac, MD
“Great stay at Le Parker Meridien”
Reviewed June 1, 2006

I stayed at the Parker Meridian for two weeknights in May and had a wonderful experience. I found all the staff helpful, pleasant and responsive - from the front desk and bellman to the concierge, housekeeping and coffee stand person. Great coffee and blueberry muffins at the coffee stand by the way - no need to run across the street to Starbucks! The rooms were modern and a good size, mine was quiet contrary to some other reviews - i guess we were facing a good side. The only thing I thought could use a little improvement is the bathrooms need updating, but I would totally stay here again. The rest of the room was sleek, clean and roomy. Great location. Would recommend it highly.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank ELM2426

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,229)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 31, 2006

This was the 2nd stay at Le Parker for me & my girlfriend this Memorial Day weekend, once again the hotel staff did an excellent job!!! Our room was on the 40th floor, very clean!!! There was a basket of fruit waiting for us when we got to the room, I assume because we were former customers. The staff was helpful & friendly and the swimming pool is great, we also loved the fact we could go from the pool right up to the rooftop to lay in the sun. We are planing to return to NYC for labor day weekend and once again will be staying at Le Parker Meridien!!!!!!!!!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 28, 2006

The hotel was definitely a great value for the money. The room was clean, bathroom had all of the amentiies one could ask for (maybe a more traditional blow dryer would have been better in lieu of the old fashioned hotel wall dryers). There was no cord for the internet and no wireless access. Pretty much, every service issue was answered promptly and courteously.

Now for the worst part. As a very Gold Starwood Preferred Guest one would expect when making reservations on the Starwood website that it would be participating with the SPG program. I go out of my way to stay at Starwood's for this very reason. They let you know this very quickly when you arrive. The front desk staff was very polite and somewhat apologetic about it. If you are a Starwood, then be a Starwood, They really should take it off the Starwood Web Site for reservations until they straighten this out. A nice stay left sort of a bad taste for this frequent guest.

Stayed May 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed May 23, 2006

My husband and I recently stayed at the Le Parker Meridien May 20-23, 2006 for our first wedding anniversary. Our first three nights in the city were spent at the Westin Times Square, so we had a base from which to establish our opinions.

Though I had asked for an early check in, knowing that we were just switching hotels and wanted to drop off our luggage in the morning and leave to spend the day exploring the city, we had to check our bags with the bell stand to store them all day until we came back in the late afternoon. I was told a room was available at the time we checked in, but that she didn't recommend that floor, so we'd be better off waiting. So we did. Not that big of a deal, just an additional $10 in tips that we had to pay the bellman.

Once in our room, we were really impressed. I was told we got upgraded to a suite, and the room definitely was bigger than expected. The living area with a couch and a window seat, as well as the table, desk and mini bar were separated from the sleeping area by a revolving entertainment center with a large flat screen TV, VCR and DVD player. So, you could turn it to face the bed or the living area.

The room was very contemporary and sleek, a style that both my husband and I love. Both the sleeping area and living area had large windows that faced south at an apartment building and the GE building. Not a great view considering that I was initially told we'd have a Central Park view. But the larger room was worth giving up the view.

The bed was very comfortable with triple sheeting around a fluffy duvet. I had trouble sleeping here though because the temperature was impossible to control in the room. Although there was a contemporary thermostat on the wall in each room, the A/C-heating units beneath the windows were very old school. In order to warm up the freezing room, we had to turn the thermostat down to 60 degrees. In order to cool off the room, we had to turn the temp UP. Unfortunately it took us a few days to figure this out, so sleeping was tough as the room was very warm and stuffy.

It also seemed that the windows weren't sealed as well as the windows at the Westin Times Square. We were on the 31st floor here, and heard MUCH more street noise than when we were in Times Square. That seemed strange to me because the Parker Meridien is in a much more quiet neighborhood. I could also hear the people on the floor above us whenever they dropped something or flushed the toilet, which seemed to happen often. Because there was no fan speed control on the A/C, it was quiet enough to hear all of the little noises, which woke me up.

The bathroom was very large with a huge counter, but only one sink. There was also plenty of room to place a bath tub, but instead there was only a stand-up walk-in shower with a glass wall that separates it from the toilet. This was a big disappointment to us as we wanted to soak our feet after a long day of walking all over the place. Also, the water temp seemed to change a lot without touching the faucet.

The roof top pool and patio is a great amenity. The pool is enclosed, but the patio is open air, so if the weather is nice, it's a great spot to relax on one of the lounge chairs and get some sun or take in great views over Central Park.

We ate at the Burger Joint in the lobby for lunch - what a rush! They don't do any advertising, and all of the buzz is circulated verbally. The business people that work nearby stand in line for 30 minutes just to get a burger and fries from this place. In fact, the day we ate there, the local news was doing a piece on how popular the place is. The burgers were definitely good, as were the fries, but I wouldn't wait 30 minutes in line for one. Luckily, we had a much shorter wait. Word of caution - its cash only. You have to know exactly what you want to order by the time you get up to the cash register or you'll get yelled at.

We didn't eat at Norma's or Seppi's, so can't comment. I can say that Norma's had a HUGE line waiting to get in for Sunday brunch. If you're staying at the hotel, you can call down to put your name on the waiting list and they'll call you in your room when they have a table for you.

There is an entrance on both 56th and 57th Streets, so easily accessibble. It's on the same block as Carnegie Hall, so streets are busy before and after show time.

The hotel is only 3 blocks from Central Park, so a great starting off point to spend a day in the park without having to take the subway or a taxi.

Overall, I'd stay here again when I come back to NYC. It's in a great location and the service we experienced was good. Bellman were always very attentive and polite.

9 Thank lylach
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 23, 2006

Had to cancel my reservation during the memorial Day weekend. Missed their deadline by 4 hours. No leeway, flexibility or consideration given for frequent business traveler - even got Starwood to call directly. Learned that the hotel is even overbooked, so they will collect the one night rate from me (cancellation penalty) AND collect full tariff from someone else for the same room on the same night.

Terrible policy - and strict adherence only alienates potential clients.

6 Thank bilby101
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed May 10, 2006

Great location, but not worth the money. The service was pretty lackluster. The first conierge I encountered was friendly and helpful, but a woman we dealt with later that day was rude, condescending and seemed bothered by a request to assist with dinner reservations. There was no information in the room about the hotel's services or any of the attractions or restaurants in New York. I didn't even know that there was a restaurant (bestides the one in the lobby) or a bar in the hotel. There is not really any personality to this hotel. The lobby is very public and not very inviting. It was hard to get cabs outside. The room was small with very little storage (no dresser). The bathroom door would only open about halfway before it hit the toilet. Overall, I cannot understand why this is a four star hotel. It was average at best. You can definitely find better for the money!

3 Thank Jayna S
New York
Reviewed May 7, 2006

I took my husband away for a surprise birthday weekend at Le Parker Meridien and had a wonderful time. Instead of finding a dog sitter I packed the car with our bags and 2 greyhounds and headed for the city. Upon arrival we were greated by the valet (paid extra) and at the desk I was pleasantly told that they were upgrading us to a larger room where our dogs would be happier. Our room was clean and spacious, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was fabulous. The hotel was a perfect location for Broadway and Central Park, as well as getting a taxi or subway. We enjoyed restaurants like The Burger Joint (in Le Parker Meridien), Calle Ocho (81st and Brodway), and Sarabeth's (40 Central Park South). I highly recommend this hotel to anyone. . .especially if you are traveling with pets.

2 Thank acg74