“Great Location- Pretty Good Hotel”

Le Parker Meridien New York
Ranked #259 of 470 Hotels in New York City
A TripAdvisor Member
Upstate New York
Reviewed October 10, 2004

My daughter and I just got back from this hotel. Saw the mixed reviews before we left but booked anyway as I wanted this location. We enjoyed our stay and had no problems in which we had to deal with the management but the conceirge had an attitude and didn't seem to want to be bothered by our questions although he wasn't busy at all. We weren't warned about the minibar and consequently when my daughter moved a few drinks to cool her own overnight we were billed at check-out for the moved drinks but when I mentioned that we didn't have any drinks they cleared it off our bill immediately. I have stayed at other 4 star hotels in NYC and find this one to be about average or maybe just a little below average. The location was perfect though and made up for it as far as I was concerned.Pretty nice hotel overall but I'll keep looking for my next visit.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (5,650)

Reviewed October 8, 2004

Last year I fled from this awful hotel after 1 night.

The antiquated Heating/AC system can only supply heat to the whole hotel or A/C to the whole hotel. My room was like a sauna but no A/C was available. Even a Red Roof inn will provide A/C on demand but not this place.

The stated "Panoramic Manhattan Skyline View" was of a balcony on the tower across the street.

One could die waiting for the elevator to arrive.

The Front desk was unconcerned that I was not happy with my room. I would describe their attitude as snotty.

The rooms are worn with nicked furniture. Modern Design requires good care to remain attractive. My room looked cheap from wear. Even the windows were caked with filth, the seals between the double pane glass had failed; allowing water and dirt to be trapped inside. Again no upkeep.

An unusually large minority of the guests smoked constantly and just the elevator door opening on the smoking floors was enough to choke a non-smoking guest.

I checked out a day early and moved to the infinitly better W Times Square.

Avoid this creaking pile like the plague.

4  Thank billyar
Reviewed October 7, 2004

There are so many conflicting reviews on this hotel I was a bit worried. But I side firmly with the reviewer who declared that service is what you make of it and you get what you pay for.
We paid hardly anything (relatively) for our suite - and though I was bummed that we did not get a view of the Park (hotel was sold out), we still had a lovely suite with plenty of room for us and our teenage boy. The sheets were nice, the pillows and blankets good quality - all in all the amenities of the bed were good. The pull out sofa where our 17 year old (and quite tall!) lad slept was firm and he said "not too lumpy" - so that sounds like a check-plus. Our king sized bed was firm but with a nicely fluffy goose down mattress-cover type thing that we quite liked. The bathroom was spacious - especially for NYC, and my only complaint was that it had no exhaust fan, so the steam from my better half's showers would fog the mirror as I put on my cosmetics. The toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, lotion) were an acceptable quality, and when I asked housekeeping for one extra, they gave me a passle of them. I guess that $2 buck a day tip to our maid was worth it! The blow dryer (one of those built in jobs) actually worked well, as did the force of the water pressure in the shower. There is a nice hand-held shower head (how French!) in addition to the standard one if you like to use that to wash.
The layout of the minisuite was good, with the TV swiveling to face either the settee area or the master bedroom area. I was not particularly fond of the TV channel selections, but then again, we don't watch TV at home, so who am I to critique. The size of the tele was good (I am not sure how many inches, but BIG), and the DVD player is a nice touch. We also appreciate the free internet connection, though I have to say it was Sloooooooowwww for DSL - must be used by a lot of folks.
My only complaint is the ongoing hotel policy of ninbars with the "sensor" system - who in the world thought that up? Some bean counter. It would be much nicer if hotels gave you just a fridge and charged to send you stuff up by room service. Oh well. But with the free in room safe, nice little greeting basket of fruit, and super helpful, generous staff, I would say that this place ranks very high on my list. I used to only stay at the Rhiga Royale in NYC, but now this is my first choice.

• Stayed: September 2004
4  Thank fdldd
A TripAdvisor Member
Manchester, England
Reviewed October 6, 2004

I have seen that this hotel has had mixed reviews but as I liked the location I thought I'd give it a try. I stayed here for 6 nights in September 2004 and I have to say that my experience was NOT good. VERY expensive for the location and certainly not anything like 4 stars. The lobby may be nice but theres little else to redeem it.

The room decor was just about ok but the room looked very "lived in", with very drab looking linen and stained towels.

I couldn't sit in the window sofa as it felt like it would come loose.

Room service was initially ok, with the phone being answered instantly but sometimes the food was cold and morning coffee failed to turn up completely several times. Sometimes when the coffee did arrive it consisted of and undrinkable grey sludge so 1 out of 10 points for the room service.

The minibar charges you for an item even if you move it, so you can't take anything out and look at it first. They do warn you about this on check-in but it still means you can't keep any drinks of your own cool...and the prices of the drinks in the minibar would make you think twice unless you are very thirsty in the middle of the night!

I reallt didn't like this feature, because if I see that a room has a minibar, I would expect to be able to put a bottle of water in it if I wanted but there isn't one square inch of space to do so.
So it's 0 out of 10 for the minibar.

Security was very strange, making me search through my pockets to find my room key just so I could get back into the hotel even though I'd walked out of the same door 2 minutes before.

Overall this hotel just doesn't do what a good hotel should. Doesn't make you feel at home and doesn't make you feel looked after. The staff look like you've interupted their day when you ask them something and make you generally feel liked you are somehow lucky to be in their hotel.

I won't be staying here again under any circumstances.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 3, 2004

I was a guest at Le Parker Meridien for a week while in New York to take the bar exam. I spent the first 4 days of my stay locked in my room studying, or recovering from the exam that day. I made a special request upgrade to an extra quiet room with a park view - and the very courteous desk attendant obliged unhesitatingly. (I did pay an extra $20 per night for the park view, but considering that brought my total up to $195/night including tax, it was still a great deal) The room was spectacular, very quiet and clean with a well-done modern decor. There was a large desk overlooking the park, a very comfortable Herman Miller Aeron chair (I bought one when I got home), and free high-speed internet access, a nice bonus (most hotels charge $15-20/day). The bed was perfect, soft yet firm thanks to the featherbed top. Housekeeping was excellent, I didn't hear a word from them - no knocks at 8:00am - but somehow they managed to make up my room in the half hour I went to the burger joint each day. I didn't use the gym or pool, but I did take a look and the facilities were first-class. The burger joint, although the decor somewhat contrived - they tried way to hard to make it "dive" - delivered an excellent burger. After the exam, I shifted from work mode to play mode and the hotel was still perfect. The minibar was surprisingly inexpensive and well stocked (be careful of the sensors-but they tell you that when you check in) and the hotel has a great location near the park, broadway, 5th avenue and for those that want to go downtown, there is a stop for the F train right outside and taxis are not hard to find, even in the rain (also, there is an umbrella in the closet, a nice touch). Overall, I found the staff (concierge, desk attendant, bellmen, security, housekeeping) were very professional, even when the lobby was terribly crowded with screaming tourists. I have stayed in several large hotels in Manhattan (Soho Grand, Hilton, Marriott, W Times Square) and dollar for dollar, the Le Parker Meridien blows the competition away. This is my new home in New York.

• Stayed: July 2004
1  Thank dwestfa
Reviewed October 1, 2004

Hi,

The pros :-
Good location (near Central Park and 5th Avenue).
Good staff.
Normas for breakfast - superb.
Burger Bar - ONe of NYC's best kept secrets. Weirdly hidden from view, the burger bar is meant to be one of the citys best.

The cons :-
Expensive. We paid extra $375 per night for a central park view. A total joke. The hotel is a block away and the view is seriously obscured. Anyway, we complained and were upgraded to a Junior Suite. Very nice. Thanks Meridien!

Hotel Bar - There isn't one! Okay, there is a French restaurant in the hotel but come on! This hotel really needs a cool hotel bar like W Hotel on Time Square.

Would I go again? Probably not. Better value elsewhere but since the US OPen tennis players were staying there too, it can't be all bad...can it?

3  Thank PauloAmore
Reviewed September 30, 2004

A long overnight stop on the way back to the UK after a family adventure holiday in Peru, dictated some luxury. The Parker Meridien provided some but perhaps not enough. It performs very well up to a point but.... The room rate was good £225 for a suite for four (though that didn't include breakfast for our 2 children which was expensive). They allowed us to checkin early (but forgot that we pre-booked a late check-out) The swimming pool was nice (but the attendants were very protective of long-term hotel residents and strictly limited access) The room was excellent, the best hotel bed/linen/duvet we've ever had (but no-one came to makeup the sofa bed, we did it ourselves, but then found the sheets had been used by previous residents) The bathroom was sleek and worked well (but was full of small black flies) Breakfast was NY -rich and huge, (but the service was a little overbearing and children didn't like it much) The mirrored reception area looks as though it should hide lots of mysteries, (but it doesn't - the whole thing is very clinical) The reception and door staff were first class (the room staff weren't)
It's rather like that large class of good restaurants which do two excellent course but a lacklustre third.
I think I'll look for somewhere with a bit more character next time.